• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I'm liking GBeast's all hands on deck approach to Quick Looks.

I'm saying even compared to Snatcher. Most of the twists are relatively tame and outright obvious in a few cases.

Yeah, in that case I wouldn't know. I was just posting earlier in this very thread that I still need to play Policenauts.

I don't know if I'm liking GBeast's all hands on deck approach to Quick Looks.
Same.

Played the MM level before watching. Gamepad just about went out a window when I took the door after already taking the pipe. Kind of an awesome level lol

danm999

Alex's twitter feed...

COQaRFtWwAA4qKd.png

tesqui

Wonder when/ if they will do a Soma quicklook. I would expect GBeast to cover it, but ever since Brad and Jason did that Until Dawn quicklook, I'm kind of thinking they'd be interested in it as well.

I played a few hours, and it's really cool so far. I'd say it's worth checking out for the story alone(so far). It'd be a shame if they just let it pass by.

Played the MM level before watching. Gamepad just about went out a window when I took the door after already taking the pipe. Kind of an awesome level lol

Here's the trick to Mario Maker levels that is invaluable when it comes to Kaizo fuckery.

No matter what, the end of the level is always in the area you start in, and not the sub-level. If a level is a total asshole and tells you to get into a pipe, just keep going if you can.

Hopefully Mario Maker gets more people to try NSMBU and NSLBU which are full of levels that are actually good!

Going back to play through those in the last few days has shown how limited Mario Maker is at the moment. Really hope they have extensive expansion plans. Still fun at the moment of course, but it could and should be so much more.

man, people really don't know how mario works, huh

watching klepeck not run through the trampolines or throw the galoomba from the pipe for ten minutes is driving me nuts

Here's the trick to Mario Maker levels that is invaluable when it comes to Kaizo fuckery.

No matter what, the end of the level is always in the area you start in, and not the sub-level. If a level is a total asshole and tells you to get into a pipe, just keep going if you can.

Yeah well I'm just going to put the correct path in a pipe right at the start.

danm999

Hopefully Mario Maker gets more people to try NSMBU and NSLBU which are full of levels that are actually good!

Going back to play through those in the last few days has shown how limited Mario Maker is at the moment. Really hope they have extensive expansion plans. Still fun at the moment of course, but it could and should be so much more.

Seems like a thing Nintendo could and should easily build on. They seem to be more open to that sort of thing these days pleasingly (Mario Kart 8, Splatoon).

watching klepeck not run through the trampolines or throw the galoomba from the pipe for ten minutes is driving me nuts

o_0

I was just happy he found the feather. Not that he used it much. I wonder what Dan thinks about the guy who bought the trampoline into the death trap, allowing him to escape with the invincibility of the star.

Galoombas (named "Goombas" in Super Mario World) are somewhat rare enemies from Super Mario World. They either walk across the ground, parachute from above or float down in bubbles (which burst upon coming into contact with any object), or can even appear with wings to hop around. They later reappear in Super Mario 3D World, where they are given the name "Galoomba" to distinguish them from actual Goombas.

AHHHH! My head! It's not as a headscratcher than the thing that Kinda Funny tried to figure out: Princess Peach (also known as Princess Toadstool) is often shown as the ruler of the land. If she's in charge, why is she not Queen. If she's holding the throne until the rightful ruler returns, where are they. Also, apparently she has toad ancestry. Yikes! So, could she and Toad be related somehow!...... Or something along those lines. They went real deep.

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on her:

Peach is portrayed as the princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, where she was born and currently resides. Within her castle are Royal Guards known as mushroom retainers. In Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario, a cabinet minister or chancellor is part of the Mushroom Kingdom government. Her father, the Mushroom King, though mentioned in the instruction manual to Super Mario Bros., has never made an appearance in the mainstream games. She also has a grandmother who is a Toad and a grandmother who is a human, implying that she may be part-Toad.

I'm watching Patrick tackle the level now and it's amazing that this mess is seemingly so masterfully designed in spots.

It's like the opposite of Cosmo's level, but equally as brilliant. Well, nearly.

Lijik

That stuff I could forgive but I was shaking my head at the screen when he seemingly didnt know to crouch jump to try and hit the invisible blocks in the sub level
like cmon dawg, this is mario 101

Jintor

Apropos of nothing I wonder if there's anything to a wrestling game concept which is about kayfabe. Where the goal of your match is to play your role or try and get over or build fan hype for your personal brand in such a way that you can do backroom deals or exert more power over storylines or sell merch or something. I mean every wrestling game buys into kayfabe and treats it more like an actual fight, which okay fair enough, that's what wrestling runs on; but real wrestling has this metalayer to it which the games never touch on and I've always felt that's the most fascinating part.

Apropos of nothing I wonder if there's anything to a wrestling game concept which is about kayfabe. Where the goal of your match is to play your role or try and get over or build fan hype for your personal brand in such a way that you can do backroom deals or exert more power over storylines or sell merch or something. I mean every wrestling game buys into kayfabe and treats it more like an actual fight, which okay fair enough, that's what wrestling runs on; but real wrestling has this metalayer to it which the games never touch on and I've always felt that's the most fascinating part.

This is exactly how Jeff feels. Think he went into it on one of the WWE quicklooks?

Ketch

I think it's hilarious watching klepek trying to apply some kind of critical thinking to this non-sense level that dan made.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Death of the author is basically about how authorial intent is dead once the author released their work for independent interpretation.

Rainmaker

Banned

Jeff has said this before but yeah. It would be the way I would prefer a wrestling game if someone could put the many pieces needed to make it work together. Until then I'm stuck with TEW '13 simulating my booking.

I think if 2K ever figured out a way to merge the old GM mode with Universe mode and the old create-a-story they'd have something special.

Booking stuff. Not letting your stories/wrestlers gimmicks go stale and your cards have to have a good flow to them. Build to PPVs and you have to perform the matches yourself. Chemistry between wrestlers. Star ratings for matches and a TV rating system / PPV buy rates / Money made / Contract negotiating / Crowd reaction. There would have to be so many features and mechanics at play that I doubt it could ever be done properly or even appeal to enough people to where it would be worth the cost to make it.

In a dream world this game has all of the indies and maybe NJPW in it so you could pull from those rosters and compete. Fully editable as to change there gimmicks as you see fit as well make and develop your own custom "homegrown" stars. Maybe an overarching WWE-like corporation or two to battle against once you get your promotion up to that big of a status. I'm daydreaming here now but it's a beautiful place.

Giant Bomb Makes Mario followed by Patrick Klepek Mario Makers is some great stuff.

Can't believe how well the Bowser placement worked out. It's downright magical.

did patrick even talk about authorial intent? i skipped some parts, but all i saw was him describing the level and strategies.

30 minutes in and he's made him general design musings, but nothing directly attributing it to Dan or GB's ace design team. Can't blame him for thinking hard on it's design--the level itself has a bunch of design coincidences that make it seem a lot deeper and more thoughtfully planned out than it really was.
I call it the DotA Effect.

If the GB level does nothing else, it gives people time to think.

This sort of reminds me of Chroma Squad in a way. Each "episode" has specific objectives you're supposed to achieve. Maybe such a wrestling game could incorporate goals like that, including some negative goals like "get powerbombed three times" or something.

Joeku

Mothereffer, I played Extreme Warfare Revenge back at version 2.0 and on.

http://www.ewwarehouse.info/mod-index/ew-mod-index/

THIS is a wrestling simulator. Fucking creative control clauses.

I'd kill to see one of the duders try to manage a GB-themed promotion for some UPF segment.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Damn

No playdate then, they could have played soma or had vinny make some mario levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom