• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

Yeah I just can't think of anything I actually am interested in seeing drew play in mgsv. It's like they're doing an endurance run of far cry 4 or something like that, good game to play but I have no interest in watching a lets play of it.

Yeah I just can't think of anything I actually am interested in seeing drew play in mgsv. It's like they're doing an endurance run of far cry 4 or something like that, good game to play but I have no interest in watching a lets play of it.

tell me you don't want to see him play episode 45. Or react to Quiet. Also, (end of chapter 1 spoilers)
WHOOOOOOOOOO SUCH A LUST. Or dealing with extracting child soldiers

there are things to look forward to. It's just spread out compared to the cutscene parade that MGS4 was. I mean MGS4 literally starts with like 4 cutscenes running concurrently, it's amazing when you think about it

Bacon

tell me you don't want to see him play episode 45. Or react to Quiet. Also, (end of chapter 1 spoilers)
WHOOOOOOOOOO SUCH A LUST. Or dealing with extracting child soldiers

there are things to look forward to. It's just spread out compared to the cutscene parade that MGS4 was. I mean MGS4 literally starts with like 4 cutscenes running concurrently, it's amazing when you think about it

There's definitely a few key moments that I want to see him react to, but they're so so few and far between

I'm loving MGScanlon V so far. It's really interesting to see how he plays it.
Edit: why do people love demo derby so much? It's among the more boring features on the site.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Edit: why do people love demo derby so much? It's among the more boring features on the site.

You're among the more boring features on the site.

edit: ok, this sounds way harsher than I really intended for a dumb joke.

Rorie, alt accounts aren't allowed they violate something-or-other.

It's a community-driven conpiracy to get TOGS thrown out of Giant Bomb's content rotation. The worst part is, it's working.

i think it's less that we want Demo Derby and more that there's some MGS fatigue, especially from people who played through the game already.

Whatever, ill watch it because i need to watch something when i run but I would love for other features to get some love, like old games, ranking of fighters, demo derby, etc. Variety is the spice of life

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

They are great, but the best ones are just watching the extra features on the discs. The Playstation VIP thingy was hysterical. I can't remember a good moment arising from them actually playing the games outside of MGS and THPS.

Patryn

Demo Derbies are great when Jeff is on, simply because dude knows so much of the history of the industry at the time, and you get all these great stories.

Y'know, I never would've guessed that Dan would be so instrumental in all these amazing features. Mario Party Party, Demo Derby, Metal Gear Scanlon--all of them are due to the Ryckert influence.

I can see why they call him number one.
Demo Derbies are great when Jeff is on, simply because dude knows so much of the history of the industry at the time, and you get all these great stories.

Jeff's consistently the best part of any retro-games coverage. His experience, knowledge, and--most importantly--passion for them are unmatched.
This is why TOGS is the best.

tuxfool

Banned
They are great, but the best ones are just watching the extra features on the discs. The Playstation VIP thingy was hysterical. I can't remember a good moment arising from them actually playing the games outside of MGS and THPS.

It isn't just that. Jeff on those features adds so much to them beyond the stupid stuff.

daydream

Banned
the problem is, drew really wants to play mgsv but not in his spare time so demo derby gets put on the back-burner

spacing out related content has never been gb's strong suit, the gaps are either too short or way too long

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
the problem is, drew really wants to play mgsv but not in his spare time so demo derby gets put on the back-burner

spacing out related content has never been gb's strong suit, the gaps are either too short or way too long

The downside of the schedule being more based around the interests of the people rather than schedule.

On the other hand we have UPF which can often feel formulaic and stale. Not recently though.

Curufinwe

Yeah, I'm enjoying MGScanlon V so far.

I am too, since I'm well ahead of Drew. Originally I was worried they would be doing it from launch day and I would end up behind him and unable to watch.

I didn't know the trick of destroying anti-air defenses to allow closer landing spots.

hamchan

I think they're great. It's a way for them to play many old games very quickly, with Jeff there to spit some knowledge. Plus the behind the scenes or extra stuff are pretty funny. Good nostalgia trip for anyone who experienced the 90s and played a ton of demo disks.

Plus if you love MGScanlon then remember that it wouldn't even exist without Demo Derby.

tchocky

They are only recording MGS on Mondays though which is probably when Jeff is in meetings so I don't think that is preventing more demo derbies probably just finding time when Dan, Drew, Jeff and Jason are all free.

Hey which in which video does Jeff mess around with MGSV, like the shenanigans with D-Horse and stuff. I thought it was an UnPro but in a quick scan through the recent ones I didn't see him playing it.

Myggen

I've enjoyed MGScanlon so far but I can definitely see it getting stale by the end, especially if he does a lot of the side ops.

Time will show I guess. I'm just happy we're getting more MGScanlon tbh, and have never really bought the argument that if we're getting X content that means there's less chance of Y content. We don't really know enough about their production schedule to say, I would imagine that they've got the production of MGScanlon pretty streamlined at this point.

For how long did they make those fucking Wii versions of COD games? Probably also for way too long.

I remember thinking it was really cool that they got Modern Warfare running on a Wii. In hindsight it was a really bad version of the game, but it's still impressive they made it work.

Noaloha

He played it on this UPF, around 1 hour 57 minutes: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-12-19-2014/2300-9814/

Not really a long segment or anything, and I don't think I've heard him talk about the game elsewhere. But I remember him playing it 'cause it finally gave a name to my memories of a game I'd played as a kid.

Sweet, thank you very much! I'll for sure be watching that when I get home.

From the comments, I'm guessing that it's the Colecovision version he's playing. One of the things I'm looking at specifically with regard to Zaxxon is the range of versions and how they differed and yet shared little commonalities that sort of define Zaxxon, ie. the positional stuff like having a player shadow and using your bullets to 'test' your altitude through force fields, walls, etc.). I grew up on the Atari800XL port (one of the best!) and I've never tried the Coleco, only seen brief videos of it (like in this comparison youtube).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom