• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

I believe in Austin. As far as Best Character goes, the other two presumed frontrunners I can come up with (Jenks, Paul and Emily [fuck that bitch]) are also GBeast-oriented, so they have all the horses in the race, which lends a larger voice to Mr. Walker.

Also, Her Story as a whole is short enough that it could hopefully be one of those games where they say "I'm gonna go finish this tonight, let's not talk about it yet," and then some of them actually do before the discussion of Best Story and Best Character and whatnot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Djikstra is probably one of my favorite characters this year after Sans

It's a shame I had to break his leg again for getting in my way

I believe in Austin. As far as Best Character goes, the other two presumed frontrunners I can come up with (Jenks, Paul and Emily [fuck that bitch]) are also GBeast-oriented, so they have all the horses in the race, which lends a larger voice to Mr. Walker.

Also, Her Story as a whole is short enough that it could hopefully be one of those games where they say "I'm gonna go finish this tonight, let's not talk about it yet," and then some of them actually do before the discussion of Best Story and Best Character and whatnot.
I think you're right. I could see that being a Thanksgiving break kind of game for a lot of the crew.

I mean I said how I'm more about the sausage making and stuff but I'm going to be legit pissed if Jenks isn't standing on top of the corpses of all the other best new characters in 2015 when it is all said and done.

jaina

The vibes I'm getting from Beast are that they're favoring Paul.
Her Story is very eligible for Best Surprise or Styyyyyle (won't win that one), but I don't see it in a top spot for Best Character.

Jenks isn't even the best character of contradiction.

The vibes I'm getting from Beast are that they're favoriting Paul.
I don't think you guys are wrong but I love Jenks too much. The last quarter of that game is a delight and it's because Jenks has had enough of being jerked around by everyone in that game. When that guy sniffs the end game he just ascends to video game royalty for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Considering all the characters of Until Dawn are purposeful tropes, it would be incredibly depressing to see one win character of the year.

Josh can win best voice actor performance though for sure.

Considering all the characters of Until Dawn are purposeful tropes, it would be incredibly depressing to see one win character of the year.

Josh can win best voice actor performance though for sure.
0.0% chance someone wins best new character from Until Dawn. I love Until Dawn.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
She's terrible throughout the whole thing. She never grows. In the credits, she's still terrible.

Course that's still not as bad as the completely unearned 'growth' by Sam at the credits.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
She's terrible throughout the whole thing. She never grows. In the credits, she's still terrible.

Course that's still not as bad as the completely unearned 'growth' by Sam at the credits.

It's interesting actually,
if you suck up to her, her attitude does change at the end.

She's a tsundere, basically.

Jintor

I don't disagree, it's just that specific brand of terrible is really entertaining

jaina

I feel like the sketch show article Dan linked to didn't get enough attention. Some (out of context) quotes:
Ryckert's philosophy toward the show -- shaped by his fondness for video games, Conan O'Brien and The Simpsons -- could be summed up by the phrase, "Keep it stupid."
"We've got dummies getting thrown in front of cars. We've got pies in the face -- like, every dumb cliche you could have, but we know it's stupid. As long as you know that, you're fine."
"He makes films the way other students go to parties," said Matt Jacobson, assistant professor of theater and film. "I'm really foreseeing great things from him."
Ryckert decided this winter break -- after reading the "Saturday Night Live" tell-all book "Live from New York" -- that he wanted to make a living doing sketch comedy.
Then there are the celebrity cameos. After seeing KU basketball star Wayne Simien outside Target one day, Ryckert flagged him down and talked him into introducing the first episode. Episode two will be introduced by Steve Perry, former lead singer of the band Journey, who visited campus last week.
When former attorney general Janet Reno came to campus recently, Ryckert tried to set up an appointment to shoot footage of her revealing herself as the person inside the shark costume, but it didn't work out.
And he's still using a notebook when playing games for work.
Ryckert keeps a notebook of ideas [...]
I haven't even watched the video(s).

Emily really grew on me throughout until dawn
I'm with you and I know that's unpopular. She's incredibly resourceful and probably deals with the most of anyone in that entire game.

The beauty of that experience for me was that I felt differently about literally everyone by the end of it.

justjim89

Best New Character:
-Bloody Baron
-Jenks or Paul
-D-Dog or Quiet or MGSV SPOILERS:
Venom Snake if they wanna be cheeky

I wanna see Her Story get some recognition because holy shit that was a brilliant experience, but I don't see it happening in Best New Character. Maybe Best Story or just in the top 10.

So help me if by GOTY time anyone tries to dismiss it because they haven't played a game that literally only takes 2 hours to complete I may burst a blood vessel.

DD for best character

Brads going to filibuster and go all the way with it

Dan and Drew will back him up. I bet Vinny loves wolves so thats' 4. Jason will be the dark horse. Austin and Alex will think it's completely stupid that DD is even considered. Jeff will eventually turn around and agree that DD is infact, the best new character.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Best character is obviously Don-chan from taiko no tatsujin V.

blog_120712_01.gif

Then there are the celebrity cameos. After seeing KU basketball star Wayne Simien outside Target one day, Ryckert flagged him down and talked him into introducing the first episode. Episode two will be introduced by Steve Perry, former lead singer of the band Journey, who visited campus last week.
When former attorney general Janet Reno came to campus recently, Ryckert tried to set up an appointment to shoot footage of her revealing herself as the person inside the shark costume, but it didn't work out.
LOL

DD for best character

Brads going to filibuster and go all the way with it

Dan and Drew will back him up. I bet Vinny loves wolves so thats' 4. Jason will be the dark horse. Austin and Alex will think it's completely stupid that DD is even considered. Jeff will eventually turn around and agree that DD is infact, the best new character.

Jason sounded super hype when Drew found DD and liked DD more than Quiet in the MGSV discussions so vote for that!

justjim89

DD isn't a character though. He's a cute customizable digital puppy, but he's not really a character. And all the gross shit with Quiet I think ought to disqualify her from any discussion of well-developed characters. But they'll get an MGSV character in the discussion anyhow.

DD isn't a character though. He's a cute customizable digital puppy, but he's not really a character. And all the gross shit with Quiet I think ought to disqualify her from any discussion of well-developed characters. But they'll get an MGSV character in the discussion anyhow.

Whoa whoa that soungs like animalism. Poor DD, he's not just an animal. He's a friend.

Has someone suggested "the Prophet Muhammad" in Game & Wario's Miiverse Sketch yet? That seems like something someone would've done by now.

Can they have a "Best" Character award, populated solely by the worst Until Dawn peeps and Quiet?

are you implying that quiet is a bad character

I will cancel my subscription if Quiet gets nominated for best character, especially given none of them have talked about how gross everything surrounding her is.

justjim89

I will cancel my subscription if Quiet gets nominated for best character, especially given none of them have talked about how gross everything surrounding her is.

The grossness of the Quiet stuff was well-covered in one of the MGSV-focused bombcasts, with Jeff and Brad the most vocal about it.

That being said, yeah. Quiet, in spite of how close at times she came to becoming a genuinely compelling character, deserves no recognition for any sort of quality.

Jintor

She exists to be ogled. It's gross.

I'm shocked they glossed over that whole aspect of her so easily in the spoilercast.

it's just so common that it's kind of become easy to ignore, which is really depressing

Honestly quiet mostly gets by because her theme and song are pretty great, except when it's in your ear crackly humming.

Joeku

Has someone suggested "the Prophet Muhammad" in Game & Wario's Miiverse Sketch yet? That seems like something someone would've done by now.

are you implying that quiet is a bad character

No, I'm sorry, I'm not.
I'm not implying it, I'm outright stating it: Quiet is a bad character. Bad, bad, bad. The "best" comes from her fantastic gameplay usage versus her terrible narrative usage, at least where I stand.
That shit is dissonant.

Quiet has an incredibly bad, sexist appearance, in terms of clothing. But....her character is pretty damn great despite that. To discount her because of what she wears is well...meh.

I don't think a single character in that game has a more satisfactory beginning, middle and end that Quiet does. I don't think that makes her inherently a good character but her purpose in the game to me is well done in a game that is rife with incomplete and purposeless characters.

Her lack of clothing is part of her character. They literally have an in game lore explanation as to why she dresses like a loser teenage boy's wet dream.

Joeku

Quiet has an incredibly bad, sexist appearance, in terms of clothing. But....her character is pretty damn great despite that. To discount her because of what she wears is well...meh.

How about this: not only is her attire and the camera's fascination with her fiddly bits shite, but her character arc is contrived, shallow, and some-fucking-how contains both enough Mary Sue-dom and overly-submissive wankery to be incredibly confusing and offputting.

I'm not discounting her character for her appearance, I'm discounting her character for her characterization.

I don't think a single character in that game has a more satisfactory beginning, middle and end that Quiet does. I don't think that makes her inherently a good character but her purpose in the game to me is well done in a game that is rife with incomplete and purposeless characters.

Not to get all spoilery, but the aspect of her story arcs end,
The fact that you lose the ability to use her subverts alot of gameplay tropes. There is no new game+, there is no getting her back, her arcs end is that she can't be anywhere near Motherbase or VS. And by denying you access to her gameplay aspect that way, is pretty great in solidifying and reinforcing her characters impact.

How about this: not only is her attire and the camera's fascination with her fiddly bits shite, but her character arc is contrived, shallow, and some-fucking-how contains both enough Mary Sue-dom and overly-submissive wankery to be incredibly confusing and offputting.

I'm not discounting her character for her appearance, I'm discounting her character for her characterization.

What were you confused about her? And I wouldn't call her overly submissive. There's a few moments where she practically takes charge over VS. Her arc in it, is pretty well characterized despite it. I don't want to get into anymore spoiler territory...but yeah.

It was pretty rad when Quiet(very late mgs story spoilers)
had her pants torn off and was about to be raped......but wait she planned it and killed all of assaulters.
Such a strong woman!

The fact that you lose the ability to use her subverts alot of gameplay tropes. There is no new game+, there is no getting her back, her arcs end is that she can't be anywhere near her. And by denying you access to her gameplay aspect that way, is pretty great in solidifying and reinforcing her characters impact.
Well stated. It left me feeling the same way. It's too bad
that last cinematic with her is preceded by the lone (for me) frustrating mission in the entire game

Joeku

The fact that you lose the ability to use her subverts alot of gameplay tropes. There is no new game+, there is no getting her back, her arcs end is that she can't be anywhere near her. And by denying you access to her gameplay aspect that way, is pretty great in solidifying and reinforcing her characters impact.

Nope, fuck that.
When the game otherwise lets you subvert the time part of the space-time continuum (and the fucking space part if you have the wormhole fulton) to replay missions, including ones that she is explicitly involved with, removing her from the picture for a gameplay impact feels like more of a design oversight than an intentional narrative choice.

So how much better is Witcher 3 compared to 1 and 2? Because while the games were alright, I didn't think either of them were any great.
It's easily the most playable of the three games. Some might call that 'dumbed down' but I found it refreshingly approachable. I played on the hardest difficulty for trophies and didn't regret it so if you played the earlier games that might be appealing. The hardest stuff is in the first fifth of the game on that difficulty and then levels out for the rest as you level up.

To me, Geralt is one of the finest video game protagonists of recent years. It's well worth your time if only for the fact that the developers made a game that respected me as an adult with the story it wanted to tell and the characters that made up that story.

Nope, fuck that.
When the game otherwise lets you subvert the time part of the space-time continuum (and the fucking space part if you have the wormhole fulton) to replay missions, including ones that she is explicitly involved with, removing her from the picture for a gameplay impact feels like more of a design oversight than an intentional narrative choice.

Maybe.
But I mean, replaying missions isn't considered 'canon' in that you can go to africa and immediately do the first Afghanistan mission again despite that?

Either way they(Konami) nor Kojima have said 'Whoops it's a glitch! we'll patch it soon!' so maybe it's not an oversight but a goal?

It's easily the most playable of the three games. Some might call that 'dumbed down' but I found it refreshingly approachable. I played on the hardest difficulty for trophies and didn't regret it so if you played the earlier games that might be appealing. The hardest stuff is in the first fifth of the game on that difficulty and then levels out for the rest as you level up.

To me, Geralt is one of the finest video game protagonists of recent years. It's well worth your time if only for the fact that the developers made a game that respected me as an adult with the story it wanted to tell and the characters that made up that story.

From a gameplay approach, I really don't mind much since bad gameplay is something I've come to understand and accept from the series, but I thought the writing at times in Witcher 2 especially was really dry and the plot can get fairly boring as its biggest arc kind of felt more like filler.

I've heard the writing is great in 3, but if its anything like 2, then I'm kind of worried I won't like it that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom