• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Nope, fuck that.
When the game otherwise lets you subvert the time part of the space-time continuum (and the fucking space part if you have the wormhole fulton) to replay missions, including ones that she is explicitly involved with, removing her from the picture for a gameplay impact feels like more of a design oversight than an intentional narrative choice.

agreed. i appreciate the intent but given that i don't think MGSV is very good narratively, fuck that noise.

Joeku

Maybe.
But I mean, replaying missions isn't considered 'canon' in that you can go to africa and immediately do the first Afghanistan mission again despite that?

Either way they(Konami) nor Kojima have said 'Whoops it's a glitch! we'll patch it soon!' so maybe it's not an oversight but a goal?

I'm not saying it's a glitch, I'm saying it's
misguided, annoying, and its impact falls flat on me narratively. Treat using her in-mission as non-canon as any other mission replays post-46, I don't care how. It feels terribly unjustified.

Frankly, saying it's okay to NOT have her even for mission do-overs sounds asinine given that there are a bunch of mission replays on a harder difficulty with forced stealth or lacking your weapons and equipment and whatnot. How canon are those, exactly? How canon are the missions you go back and re-play before you lose her when you otherwise wouldn't yet have her in the story to use?

Chapter 2 is muddled as shit. And the post-game is nearly as bad, given what story beats we KNOW were excised and what we can presume were.

From a gameplay approach, I really don't mind much since bad gameplay is something I've come to understand and accept from the series, but I thought the writing at times in Witcher 2 especially was really dry and the plot can get fairly boring as its biggest arc kind of felt more like filler.

I've heard the writing is great in 3, but if its anything like 2, then I'm kind of worried I won't like it that much.
I'm trying not to get spoiler-y but I think an achievement of The Witcher 3 is that it circumvents your expectations for a video game story of this type. It has the scale of an apocalyptic/'all' story but is ultimately about a guy looking for a person that he loves and considers his daughter. I liked that quite a bit and I think how Geralt is perceived in that world goes against how a lot of games in its genre handle their protagonist.

How the gameplay and size of the game hits you is personal but I think it's at least worth giving a decent look at.

It's at a minimum a GOTY contender for me in a variety of ways.

I'm not saying it's a glitch, I'm saying it's
misguided, annoying, and its impact falls flat on me narratively. Treat using her in-mission as non-canon as any other mission replays post-46, I don't care how. It feels terribly unjustified.

Frankly, saying it's okay to NOT have her even for mission do-overs sounds asinine given that there are a bunch of mission replays on a harder difficulty with forced stealth or lacking your weapons and equipment and whatnot. How canon are those, exactly? How canon are the missions you go back and re-play before you lose her when you otherwise wouldn't yet have her in the story to use?

Chapter 2 is muddled as shit.

Best incomplete narrative award goes to MGSV. The only award that matters

I'm trying not to get spoiler-y but I think an achievement of The Witcher 3 is that it circumvents your expectations for a video game story of this type. It has the scale of an apocalyptic/'all' story but is ultimately about a guy looking for a person that he loves and considers his daughter. I liked that quite a bit and I think how Geralt is perceived in that world goes against how a lot of games in its genre handle their protagonist.

How the gameplay and size of the game hits you is personal but I think it's at least worth giving a decent look at.

It's at a minimum a GOTY contender for me in a variety of ways.

Sounds really cool. I've heard nothing, but positive things about the game from various podcasts I listen to and from gaming threads, so I figure its something I got to check out sooner or later. A little too expensive for me right now at $40 for PS4 (though I think my laptop might be able to run it a little better or at least the same since its got a GTX 860M), but the time investment sounds like a lot more than I can give during the semester.

Definitely gonna put it in the winter play list, thanks for the feedback!

hamchan

From a gameplay approach, I really don't mind much since bad gameplay is something I've come to understand and accept from the series, but I thought the writing at times in Witcher 2 especially was really dry and the plot can get fairly boring as its biggest arc kind of felt more like filler.

I've heard the writing is great in 3, but if its anything like 2, then I'm kind of worried I won't like it that much.

The writing in 3 is similar to 2 and the rest of the franchise.

Joeku

I wonder how many games are going to be fucked this fall. If the rumours on AC: Sydnicate are true, it's gonna be funny.

That said, I think a weird trend in its early days is mechanically- and/or narratively-unfinished games getting polished up to not be "broken" by respected studios. And yes, I would absolutely lump MGSV into this category, along with the original release of Destiny, where it feels like parts were excised to not have anything unpolished in the final package. I expect Uncharted 4 would have fallen into this had it not been pushed back, too.

There's a lot of studios and publishers that don't want busted games under their belt given the last couple of years (and maybe the advent of Steam refunds), but I'd honestly prefer occasionally fucked ambitious games over mirror-sheened safe ones.

EDIT: I wanted to make some sort of metaphor about sanding down the corners and edges of a cube to make a smooth sphere but the sphere is uninteresting and looks the same at every angle unlike a misshapen cube or something like that. I couldn't make that metaphor work. Instead I'm going to go to bed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know. I feel like the Syndicate 'brokeness' will be completely overblown.

That's not to say it won't be janky as shit. Just that ti'll be just as janky in a slightly different way than every other Ubisoft release.

Joeku

I don't know. I feel like the Syndicate 'brokeness' will be completely overblown.

That's not to say it won't be janky as shit. Just that ti'll be just as janky in a slightly different way than every other Ubisoft release.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the broken Ubisoft games of the last several years are only all the ones with the patented Ubisoft Open-World Formula, right?

I wonder how many games are going to be fucked this fall. If the rumours on AC: Sydnicate are true, it's gonna be funny.

That said, I think a weird trend in its early days is mechanically- and/or narratively-unfinished games getting polished up to not be "broken" by respected studios. And yes, I would absolutely lump MGSV into this category, along with the original release of Destiny, where it feels like parts were excised to not have anything unpolished in the final package. I expect Uncharted 4 would have fallen into this had it not been pushed back, too.

There's a lot of studios and publishers that don't want busted games under their belt given the last couple of years (and maybe the advent of Steam refunds), but I'd honestly prefer occasionally fucked ambitious games over mirror-sheened safe ones.

EDIT: I wanted to make some sort of metaphor about sanding down the corners and edges of a cube to make a smooth sphere but the sphere is uninteresting and looks the same at every angle unlike a misshapen cube or something like that. I couldn't make that metaphor work. Instead I'm going to go to bed.

Think of open worlds as perfectly smooth spheres; safe, mundane, and all over the place. But don't worry, there's lots to do that we know you'll like! The variety in this genre is unparalleled.

Bop it! Twist it! Pull it! And not in a funny way, either!
ETERNAL. EMERGENT. ENTERTAINTMENT.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know if we want to start shitting on open world games and their bugs, I can just throw out there that I have 4 quests in my quest log in the '10/10' Witcher 3 that I can't turn in due to bugs.

4 of them. Just sitting there.

I somehow managed to only run into one progression halting bug in 60 hours of the Witcher 3 and a quick load fixed it. Did play on the pc though. Also didn't run into any fun physics bugs which was disappointing.

Have the crew talked about Lego dimensions at all? I might buy it in the morning ;-; It's going to be hard going from the 120fps, 4k I get with pc versions of the Lego games to 1080P 30 fps though :/

Jintor

i've always been fascinated with the contradiction at the heart of MGS, which is that it's a anti-war, anti-nuke game designed by military otaku

tumblr_nvbcdqeBRH1uhu6ebo1_540.gif

Nope, fuck that.
When the game otherwise lets you subvert the time part of the space-time continuum (and the fucking space part if you have the wormhole fulton) to replay missions, including ones that she is explicitly involved with, removing her from the picture for a gameplay impact feels like more of a design oversight than an intentional narrative choice.

The
wormhole
is clearly extradiegetic, just like NPCs telling you to "Press the action button" and the such. We shouldn't take it as an argument for "anything goes" at neither the gameplay or narrative level.

hamchan

Watching all the UPFs from the start as background noise while I play portable games.

First episode has Patrick just being real rude to Vinny about choosing to play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Nowadays even if someone brings trash to the show to play, no one says anything.

Watching all the UPFs from the start as background noise while I play portable games.

First episode has Patrick just being real rude to Vinny about choosing to play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Nowadays even if someone brings trash to the show to play, no one says anything.

Well of course they don't, they saw what happened to Patrick.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Was it Kojima's plan all along to make the MGSV story so god damned awful that people are fooled into thinking Quiet is a good character just because she's the only character in the game who kind of has motivations and almost acts on them?

She's a fucking terrible character. She's a character, which is a height where most others in the game could only hope to ascend, but she's a real bad character.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dropsy takes place in the same universe as ROTOR. If you want to talk about good characters, let's talk about police party time robot.

jk5L80R.jpg

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Was it Kojima's plan all along to make the MGSV story so god damned awful that people are fooled into thinking Quiet is a good character just because she's the only character in the game who kind of has motivations and almost acts on them?

She's a fucking terrible character. She's a character, which is a height where most others in the game could only hope to ascend, but she's a real bad character.

hey man if she didnt expose her body she'd die dont be hatin' you should be ashamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom