• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The asks on Danny's tumblr on Quiet are just weird.

Did you know that you can increase your bond slightly in the ACC by staring at her tits for ten seconds? It makes her do a special animation too. I don't understand how people seriously defend her. Costume Spoilers
Put her back in the Black XOF because the Sniper Wolf costume didn't make me feel much better.
I feel bad because like everything else surrounding her (that is, her gameplay mechanic as a buddy, backstory, reasons for being mute, relationship with BB), but it's like Kojima went an extra disgusting mile with the "sex object female" on this.

Xater

Did you know that you can increase your bond slightly in the AAC by staring at her tits for ten seconds? It makes her do a special animation too. I don't understand how people seriously defend her. Costume Spoilers
Put her back in the Black XOF because the Sniper Wolf costume didn't make me feel much better.

Of course you fucking can....

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Of course you fucking can....

Her eyes were damaged in the fire. She sees through her tits, so the only way to be respectful and look her in the eyes is by staring at her tits.

But sure, judge and mock her disability. You'll feel real silly once you get the cassette tape that explains it all in the background while you bionic punch people.

Did you know that you can increase your bond slightly in the ACC by staring at her tits for ten seconds? It makes her do a special animation too. I don't understand how people seriously defend her. Costume Spoilers
I feel bad because like everything else surrounding her (that is, her gameplay mechanic as a buddy, backstory, reasons for being mute, relationship with BB), but it's like Kojima went an extra disgusting mile with the "sex object female" on this.

There is a
Sniper Wolf costume
?!?!

There is a
Sniper Wolf costume
?!?!

Yeah it's from
the extreme version of the Quiet boss fight
Yep. continuing spoilers
Once you unlock Chapter 2 and do some side quest stuff, there's an Extreme version of the Quiet boss fight where she basically one shots you, fires nearly right away after she spots you, and moves as soon as you call in a supply drop over her, so you have to do a sniper battle. Here's what it looks like. Great battle too, it was really tense and tons of fun.
Or you can just be a cool guy and
call in airstrikes

There is a
Sniper Wolf costume
?!?!

Yep. continuing spoilers
Once you unlock Chapter 2 and do some side quest stuff, there's an Extreme version of the Quiet boss fight where she basically one shots you, fires nearly right away after she spots you, and moves as soon as you call in a supply drop over her, so you have to do a sniper battle. Here's what it looks like. Great battle too, it was really tense and tons of fun. There was a part where she tried to flank me and I managed to shoot her just before she took a shot thanks to me listening for her moving.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I think she looks really cool in the
XOF outfit. There would be no issue if that was teh default outfit. Oh and you got rid of the shower scene. The rain scene is ok.

Yeah it's from
the extreme version of the Quiet boss fight

call in airstrikes

Yep. continuing spoilers
Once you unlock Chapter 2 and do some side quest stuff, there's an Extreme version of the Quiet boss fight where she basically one shots you, fires nearly right away after she spots you, and moves as soon as you call in a supply drop over her, so you have to do a sniper battle. Here's what it looks like. Great battle too, it was really tense and tons of fun. There was a part where she tried to flank me and I managed to shoot her just before she took a shot thanks to me listening for her moving.

woooooow. Crazy.

That fucking uniform icon

Christ you're right. I never noticed.

XOF outfit. There would be no issue if that was teh default outfit. Oh and you got rid of the shower scene. The rain scene is ok.

On that scene,
it would be fine if she didn't strip and the camera focused on her rolling around in her skivvies for a good minute.

You wanna talk about a game I feel weird about playing in front of anyone, it's this one.

call in airstrikes

Never thought to do that.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
On that scene,
it would be fine if she didn't strip and the camera focused on her rolling around in her skivvies for a good minute.

I mean it is not perfect, but it would be a fucking lot better. The scene mostly is quite innocent and goody. Mostly.

The ... other scene... FUCKING HELL

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I wonder how the actor feels about the character and use of her likeness. I mean, you'd assume she's seen and ok'd everything, but it'll be interesting to see if she has any sort of comments about stuff like the helicopter animations on her twitch playthrough.

like, it's no surprise that I enjoy ecchi, but only really when it's used for comedic effect, or is so over the top that it becomes funny by virtue of its mere existence. I'm not personally grossed out by the Quiet stuff, but I think it's stupid and adds nothing of value, and I put clothes on her at the first available opportunity.

that said, I actually unfollowed Danny on tumblr after one too many gripe posts about Quiet being "problematic." the people prodding him are either doing it just to get a rise or are genuinely oblivious and frankly I don't need anybody else explaining to me how I should feel about something ever again.

I wonder how the actor feels about the character and use of her likeness. I mean, you'd assume she's seen and ok'd everything, but it'll be interesting to see if she has any sort of comments about stuff like the helicopter animations on her twitch playthrough.

I vaguely remember something about her not being exactly thrilled about the squishy-boobed figure

e:

"Of course, I was surprised to see Quiet's outfit at first," Joosten said. "But, you know, it fits in the Metal Gear universe. I don't think I'm allowed to say a lot about this, but, well, Mr. Kojima has his reasons for deciding why Quiet [is] wearing what she's wearing."

that sounds exactly like someone being as diplomatic as they can about something they don't like but can't publicly criticize

like, it's no surprise that I enjoy ecchi, but only really when it's used for comedic effect, or is so over the top that it becomes funny by virtue of its mere existence.

So Shimoneta or SK? I'm still weirded out by half the outfits in One Piece for their female characters because they play it straight.

Quiet goes so far flying over the line with ecchi though. Man, Kojima saying we would all be "ashamed" of judging her appearance, that the reasons would be good. Then...
to top off the pile, a rape scene right at the end.

Haunted

It's really gross, I lose respect for everyone who defends it, it (along with a myriad of other flaws) disqualified MGSV from appearing on my end of year goty list even if its gameplay is really, really good.

That outfit should have been the default one. The rain scene is grossly directed in terms of camera work, just like pretty much every scene she or other female characters are in.

tuxfool

Banned
Stefanie Joosten seemingly has no issues with it. Surely you've seen those images of her playing with the action figure (with the squishy boobs). Also in the let's play, her friend was bothered that she wasn't. It could also be the fact that she is a model and is used to being objectified, it is her job after all. On the other hand professionalism may be preventing her from really sharing her opinion.

tchocky

Stefanie Joosten seemingly has no issues with it. Surely you've seen those images of her playing with the action figure (with the squishy boobs). Also in the let's play her friend was bothered that she wasn't. It could also be the fact that she is a model and is used to being objectified, it is her job after all. On the other hand professionalism may be preventing her from really sharing her opinion.

Her contract is probably preventing her sharing her opinion.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No one thinks that and it still doesn't make it ok. Also sexualization and objectification are different.

I didn't say it was ok?

Though I haven't actually played V so I can't really comment on her being sexualised or objectified. Which to me really just breaks down as to whether if you remove her sexualisation would she still have justification in the world and story.

SmithnCo

Either she won't trigger them or that will be the most awkward stream ever.

tuxfool

Banned
probably more than she actually does now, which is maybe the saddest part
The worst part is that they seemingly treat the character like an idiot. You know that she won't talk, but she could easily write, something you'd know from the birthday scene. There are plot beats that would completely break down given this fact.

Zaph

Yeah, kinda reminded me (to a lesser extent) of Tomb Raider. At the start of the game, sitting in the inventory was that bomber jacket which just made so much sense, given the setting, and looked cooler. But for some reason was only a pre-order bonus.

But I guess Kojima is gonna Kojima. In a weird way, I'm kinda impressed a $100m product can contain such nonsense. Well, probably not any more.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, kinda reminded me (to a lesser extent) of Tomb Raider. At the start of the game, sitting in the inventory was that bomber jacket which just made so much sense, given the setting, and looked cooler. But for some reason was only a pre-order bonus.

But I guess Kojima is gonna Kojima. In a weird way, I'm kinda impressed a $100m product can contain such nonsense. Well, probably not any more.

Wouldn't have worked. Nobody in history has wanted to protect anybody wearing a bomber jacket.

hamchan

Yeah GOTY last year was pretty awesome. Dan knocked it out of the park taking those bumps and getting Troy Baker.

The weak year was when they were time travelling through the decades or something.

Nero18

As much as Kojima shouldn't be praised for every positive aspect, he shouldn't completely take the fall for shit like Quiet. Ultimately its his decision to approve that as a director but it does seem as if some of the goofs come directly from the team. The weirdness of Kojipro is bigger than just Kojima himself. Focusing the critique solely on him almost feels like doing them a favor.

KingKong

As much as Kojima shouldn't be praised for every positive aspect, he shouldn't completely take the fall for shit like Quiet. Ultimately its his decision to approve that as a director but it does seem as if some of the goofs come directly from the team. The weirdness of Kojipro is bigger than just Kojima himself. Focusing the critique solely on him almost feels like doing them a favor.

I think we can safely assume based on every game he's made that this was a Kojima decision

I really like what Austin said on the Beastcast about the overuse of the word "interesting". Watching Patrick's Mario Maker stream, it seems to still be the only adjective in his vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom