• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toparaman

Banned
tumblr_nuyoe1mG821sobucqo2_540.jpg

tumblr_nuyoe1mG821sobucqo3_540.jpg

Hahaha, wow.

Haunted

They already went through all of them. Told you this would happen as soon as they do 2 an episode.
The four-digit format does exert a certain pressure to get on with it.

Can't wait for them reaching their first, small milestone at one thousand episodes.

I really like what Austin said on the Beastcast about the overuse of the word "interesting". Watching Patrick's Mario Maker stream, it seems to still be the only adjective in his vocabulary.
Next on the chopping block: "weird"

Previously only really Brad's forte, but now basically the whole Bombcast's favourite analytical moniker for any aspect of any game that's not completely rote and by the numbers. "This game is weird" should be a banned phrase.

As much as Kojima shouldn't be praised for every positive aspect, he shouldn't completely take the fall for shit like Quiet. Ultimately its his decision to approve that as a director but it does seem as if some of the goofs come directly from the team. The weirdness of Kojipro is bigger than just Kojima himself. Focusing the critique solely on him almost feels like doing them a favor.

Yeah, a lot of my problem with American/Western criticism of Kojima is there's a lot we don't know due to language barrier, cultural differences, etc. It's hard to apply the proper nuance to criticism when you don't have a complete view on what's going on.

The Quiet stuff is weird and awful but Kojima makes his games uniquely human, flaws and all, that I can really respect. He's willing to put himself totally into those games and reach for higher level discourse on ideals like language, patriotism, digital discourse, etc. that 99% of games hardly ever try to.

Nero18

I think we can safely assume based on every game he's made that this was a Kojima decision

At any point atleast a couple of important people on that team approved it. Kojima himself has revealed that he changed the ending of MGS4 after internal backlash. He isn't above that.

I really hope Austin plays SOMA, because it's totally the sort of cerebral game he seems to gravitate to. The story elements and weird philosophical dilemmas the game presents are so well done, and I really think Austin would enjoy it a lot. It's also much less of a "horror" game than Amnesia was.

Bacon

I really hope Austin plays SOMA, because it's totally the sort of cerebral game he seems to gravitate to. The story elements and weird philosophical dilemmas the game presents are so well done, and I really think Austin would enjoy it a lot. It's also much less of a "horror" game than Amnesia was.

I smell a soma play date in our future

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been enjoying Patrick's SOMA playthrough. It's fun to watch him play a horror game that isn't some crappy 8-bit/low-fi indie game that is too simplistic in visuals and sounds to ever be scary. And I do find it funny that Patrick has been doing this horror stuff for so long and he still gets freaked by the smallest of things. I figured he'd be stone cold to that shit by now.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've been enjoying Patrick's SOMA playthrough. It's fun to watch him play a horror game that isn't some crappy 8-bit/low-fi indie game that is too simplistic in visuals and sounds to ever be scary. And I do find it funny that Patrick has been doing this horror stuff for so long and he still gets freaked by the smallest of things. I figured he'd be stone cold to that shit by now.

Trying to be stone cold to horror elements ruins the genre.

It is way more fun to let yourself be scared.

Trying to be stone cold to horror elements ruins the genre.

It is way more fun to let yourself be scared.

I'd never finish them if I did that.

by the way, I finished Alien Isolation and that game was a buggy, sucky mess. the only reason I stuck around is because I liked the art so much.

I'm locked in on THPS 5 for launch day now.

I'll let you all know how terrible it is.

If its not completely broken I might get it when it hits $20.

But man.... What I would give for a new Skate. Even a bootleg Kickstarter "we made Skate but now we are indie and making something like Skate not called Skate thats smaller in scope but still has those controls".

Bloody hell. Just make the Skate 1 demo work on Xb1 BC and I might buy that console.

I'm frustrated it isn't on the pc for some reason. The terrible Tony Hawk HD had a port so it's a wonder why this isn't. All of the PS4 footage I've seen has had constant drops to 30 so it just seems gross to play.

I'd never finish them if I did that.

by the way, I finished Alien Isolation and that game was a buggy, sucky mess. the only reason I stuck around is because I liked the art so much.

I don't understand why that game is so long, SOMA is like 10 hours and that would probably be too long if it didn't have an interesting story to push you forward.

I didn't run into a single bug in Alien: Isolation, one of the most polished games I've played in a long time(especially given how much game is there) *shrug*

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I loved every minute of alien isolation because I'm cool like dat

I didn't run into a single bug in Alien: Isolation, one of the most polished games I've played in a long time(especially given how much game is there) *shrug*

I mean, I do break every game I touch, but these weren't my fault. Apparently save corruption is a well-documented issue that was never fixed. Three times I had to restart entire chapters because loading a save would just get me stuck in a loading loop. A couple of times, when the game gives you "scripted" injuries, sometimes she'd get stuck. At one point I couldn't turn left or right. another time she got stuck in a falling animation until I restarted the game.

Sakwoff

I've recently seen a tweet by someone saying that SOMA is basically "what if Bioshock was actually as clever as it pretends it is"

Which is the sickest burn, but also true. SOMA is cool shit.

Ultimate Chicken Horse was a great QL but Alex sounded like he realllly didn't want to be there. From not trying to even trying complete the object to being incredibly snarky. Must have been having a bad day.

Haunted

Ultimate Chicken Horse was a great QL but Alex sounded like he realllly didn't want to be there. From not trying to even trying complete the object to being incredibly snarky. Must have been having a bad day.
Every day is a bad day for Alex.

But yeah, he's been leaning into the whole nihilism thing a bit too much lately.

Video games were my Plan B. That is nobody's Plan A!
Jason's was the best. Comes on as the new guy and immediately nails it. Amazing.

Joeku

The
wormhole
is clearly extradiegetic, just like NPCs telling you to "Press the action button" and the such. We shouldn't take it as an argument for "anything goes" at neither the gameplay or narrative level.

The Solid series has forsaken the fourth wall since day one. I see no reason to think MGSV is an exception to that and it's something I even give the lesser entries credit for; they sometimes literally treat the controller as part of the story. Having Kiefer tell me to press the Stance Button 20 minutes in reinforced that you kind of take Metal Gear talking to the player at face value.

Not that I disagree with you when it comes to the ridiculousness of the
wormhole
in the setting, though. It was one of the few things I saw in gameplay footage pre-release that actually put me off. Then I remembered how the series wildly fucked with its own technological progress in Peace Walker and tried to stop holding that against it.

I've recently seen a tweet by someone saying that SOMA is basically "what if Bioshock was actually as clever as it pretends it is"

Which is the sickest burn, but also true. SOMA is cool shit.

How serious is it with the hide-and-seek stuff? I just finally beat Alien Isolation last week and I can't stomach a bunch of that for a little while but people telling me SOMA has a good story kind of excites me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom