• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far in do I have to be to research D-Dog translator?

Well first you have to complete every side op and every mission, and for missions you need to complete all objectives and get an S rank. Then you max out your bond with D-Dog, customize him exactly 151 times, and you'll find it under a truck at the supply depot in Afghanistan.

Oh right yeah that was the final straw wasn't it. And he was all incredulous Snake had to put them down. There were so many things that guy did I forgot.

But I never knew why so it all sort of blurred together.
In that group of assholes Huey is by far the biggest asshole

danm999

maxed bond? she hits everyone she aims at for me.

In terms of marking enemies.

Though even with a maxed bond she has this weird habit of switching her target at the last moment when I order her to fire which vexes me so. D Dog always attacks whoever I tell him too and will deal with any adds.

I disagree with the notion that dan shouldnt tell drew hints. Unlike previous MGS games, I feel drew would try and skip alotta important things not because he doesnt want to do them, but he wouldnt want to spend time in the menus. Drew would say to the effect that its boring and apologize to the audience despiteit being kinda important. So having Dan steer him towards that is good

danm999

In that group of assholes Huey is by far the biggest asshole

Yeah and I really felt there was supposed to be more there in his story. Same with Eli. They sort of disappear and the rest of Diamond Dogs just shrugs and says what are you gonna do.

But then again given the organisation is apparently an elaborate distraction that inadvertently takes down all the enemies real Big Boss is hiding from I guess the story has some back end issues.

LiK

In terms of marking enemies.

Though even with a maxed bond she has this weird habit of switching her target at the last moment when I order her to fire which vexes me so. D Dog always attacks whoever I tell him too and will deal with any adds.

yea, marking is hit or miss. D-Dog still wins in that dept. if only D-Dog would use a gun.

Heimbeck

Banned
haven't watched ep 2 and 3 yet. is Dan starting to creep into telling Drew what to do again? gotta bug Dan on Twitter not to do that.

Everytime someone tells Dan about this he says at the start of the episode he won't do it anymore, only to go straight back to telling Drew everything again.
It's nice he reads the reaction to the videos though.

Myggen

It's sooo gooood. Like, I expect it to come up in multiple categories for GOTY. I think I'm approaching the end of it and am really curious to see how it wraps up.

How much of a pure horror game is it? It seems to have a much bigger focus on its story than Amnesia which is a big plus for me.

KingKong

I disagree with the notion that dan shouldnt tell drew hints. Unlike previous MGS games, I feel drew would try and skip alotta important things not because he doesnt want to do them, but he wouldnt want to spend time in the menus. Drew would say to the effect that its boring and apologize to the audience despiteit being kinda important. So having Dan steer him towards that is good

I think hints are fine but he doesn't need to tell him how to navigate menus to collect rewards

How much of a pure horror game is it? It seems to have a much bigger focus on its story than Amnesia which is a big plus for me.

I would call it sci-fi before horror. It definitely has those hide-from-spooky-guy sections that make up most of Amnesia, but they are far less frequent. Most of the game is puzzle solving and story bits via dialogue and reading stuff on computers. Breaking it down like that does not do the game justice, though. The story has stuck with me in a way no game ever has. It's not just mysterious for mystery's sake, it's ideas and concepts that make me uncomfortable when I think about them.

LiK

Everytime someone tells Dan about this he says at the start of the episode he won't do it anymore, only to go straight back to telling Drew everything again.
It's nice he reads the reaction to the videos though.

hah, Dan can't help himself. I know Dan posts here so he'll probably read the comments and be less informative. altho I'm expect Drew to finish the game in 2 years with the way he plays.

justjim89

it retains an atmosphere of high tension, thanks to your knowledge of its pedigree, but in terms of actual horror and monster evasion like Amnesia it's significantly less. I'm on my toes constantly playing it, but there are significantly less, "Hide, you dipshit!" type moments than Amnesia, and it does a good job telegraphing them.

it retains an atmosphere of high tension, thanks to your knowledge of its pedigree, but in terms of actual horror and monster evasion like Amnesia it's significantly less. I'm on my toes constantly playing it, but there are significantly less, "Hide, you dipshit!" type moments than Amnesia, and it does a good job telegraphing them.

Would you agree that those hiding sections, while less frequent, are also better than Amnesia? I've found the audio cues and music to be much more intense and convey urgency appropriately.

Not much, there are moments that are just based around hiding from creatures but those are dotted between various puzzles and story sequences. The narrative is the main focus of the game for sure.

Well first you have to complete every side op and every mission, and for missions you need to complete all objectives and get an S rank. Then you max out your bond with D-Dog, customize him exactly 151 times, and you'll find it under a truck at the supply depot in Afghanistan.

Kojima was in the process of making this happen when Konami finally said "Fuck it, it's getting shipped.".

Myggen

Cool, thanks for the answers. While I loved Amnesia I thought it relied too much on the run and hide horror stuff, so seeing that SOMA has a bigger focus on story and world building is good news.

justjim89

Would you agree that those hiding sections, while less frequent, are also better than Amnesia? I've found the audio cues and music to be much more intense and convey urgency appropriately.

I don't necessarily know if the hiding is better. In Amnesia you had cabinets and cupboards and tables assist your hiding, as well as shutting doors and blocking them with random clutter. Here, you just have to kinda crouchwalk, especially because usually hiding sections are when you really need to get somewhere.

The monsters are more interesting though than Amnesia's gaping vaginas with legs. The sound design is absolutely top notch and really lends to the atmosphere superbly.
There's also the way lighting changes when enemies are around though, so you know you're never really in danger unless the lights are red.

SOMA is fantastic, though. Need to power through it next few nights, I've been playing largely in like 2 hour chunks.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah and I really felt there was supposed to be more there in his story. Same with Eli. They sort of disappear and the rest of Diamond Dogs just shrugs and says what are you gonna do.

But then again given the organisation is apparently an elaborate distraction that inadvertently takes down all the enemies real Big Boss is hiding from I guess the story has some back end issues.

It isn't actually proven that Huey did work with Cipher for the GZ attack on Mother Base, is it? He makes far more sense as a character in that context. Why the fuck wouldn't he be a cunt towards all these guys who are torturing him for being disloyal despite the fact that he was loyal and only worked for cipher because he has no other option. The Strangelove tapes though...

I actually enjoyed him as a character, it was an interesting twist on Otacon and not badly executed. The problem is that the story doesn't really develop that organically due to the open world choose your mission structure.[

I don't necessarily know if the hiding is better. In Amnesia you had cabinets and cupboards and tables assist your hiding, as well as shutting doors and blocking them with random clutter. Here, you just have to kinda crouchwalk, especially because usually hiding sections are when you really need to get somewhere.

The monsters are more interesting though than Amnesia's gaping vaginas with legs. The sound design is absolutely top notch and really lends to the atmosphere superbly.
There's also the way lighting changes when enemies are around though, so you know you're never really in danger unless the lights are red.

SOMA is fantastic, though. Need to power through it next few nights, I've been playing largely in like 2 hour chunks.

That's true, Amnesia has a lot more stuff to hide under/behind. In fact, they took out the analog peek-out-of-door mechanic completely. That was an aspect of Amnesia that I really liked.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
My gripes with d-dog

1. Standing in my lof when I'm prone sniping or something, although he only really did this thrice
2. Standing over a body I want to kick awake
3. Fulton problems
- a. Literally standing next to a fultonable dude and doing his "looking around" animation when I tell him to fulton him, like he thinks there's no one within range
- b. Abandoning his current fulton order because I bumped into him
- c. Abandoning his current fulton order because I was just far enough away from him and dropped him outside of my FOV so that he does a creepy watson teleport to my side

Otherwise he's great

LiK

My gripes with d-dog

1. Standing in my lof when I'm prone sniping or something, although he only really did this thrice
2. Standing over a body I want to kick awake
3. Fulton problems
- a. Literally standing next to a fultonable dude and doing his "looking around" animation when I tell him to fulton him, like he thinks there's no one within range
- b. Abandoning his current fulton order because I bumped into him
- c. Abandoning his current fulton order because I was just far enough away from him and dropped him outside of my FOV so that he does a creepy watson teleport to my side

Otherwise he's great

tried the [Wait] command?

I don't know why you'd bother with Fulton Dog when you can put a Fulton Gun on D-Walker and oh god I haven't even used it yet but I'm so excited to go home and try it.

D-Walker Best Character 2015.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
tried the [Wait] command?

Yeah, though tbf him getting in the way is rare enough that it's not a real problem

I don't know why you'd bother with Fulton Dog when you can put a Fulton Gun on D-Walker and oh god I haven't even used it yet but I'm so excited to go home and try it.

D-Walker Best Character 2015.

No way, I have to try that. Would be interesting on backup back down

Having different enemies with different properties really helps make the moments where you are under threat less tedious. I really love messing with the monsters to figure out their properties.

mintyice

Cool, thanks for the answers. While I loved Amnesia I thought it relied too much on the run and hide horror stuff, so seeing that SOMA has a bigger focus on story and world building is good news.

SOMA definitely has run and hide stuff later on.

I dig it's story, but I think I like Amnesia more as a horror game. Having talking main characters takes away from a lot of the tension and almost makes me wish it wasn't even a horror game.

Herbs

Banned
he's fucking great for just tearing up shit. I happened to use it in one mission against the Skulls. easy S rank.

yeah, i couldn't get through that bullshit
truck
skulls mission and dropped d-walker in and laid waste to them. Killed the last skull by blowing up d-walker as he stood next to it.

LiK

yeah, i couldn't get through that bullshit
truck
skulls mission and dropped d-walker in and laid waste to them. Killed the last skull by blowing up d-walker as he stood next to it.

there's another mission which required brute force and I finished it in less than 1 minute, literally. i was surprised how quick it was. dat gatling gun.

i didn't actually expect a S rank but there it was.

D-walker's fulton gun is amazing but you only get 8 shots and it's non-refillable except for sending him back and recalling him

where's my d-walker infinity bandanna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom