• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm a bit weary of the levels of perviness and female objectification in MGSV due to the lack of female impressions and reviews for the game. Like i said in the review thread, male reviewers have a tendency to gloss over this type of stuff and let kojima slide on it when he shouldn't. Kinda want to hear what a woman has to say about MGSV.

Not that it's going to stop me from playing it day one but i just want to know how often I'll be cringing while playing the game

Mama is good because it shirks convention for much of it, and has really unsettling audio design that contributes greatly to the scares.

And then it kinda peters out at the end, unfortunately.

In no particular order

The Exorcist
Psycho
The Shining

Those aren't really ghostie horror movies though. The Conjuring is a great ghost movie, as well as Mama (which is very underrated). Recently I loved The Babadook and It Follows.
I assume that if you're talking about great movies then you have to be talking about the Vince Vaughn version of Psyho.

I really need to check out It follows, hearing people say it gave them original Halloween vibes made me immediately interested.

I should probably add that I'm as bad as Vinny at breaking every game I touch, so
I wish I had the same ability. Although maybe watching others break a game at a distance is much more entertaining than being caught in the middle of it.
Watching the japanese version of the ring when I was like 6 still makes it the scariest thing I've experienced.
I know what you mean here, but it makes it seem like Ringu is the crappy knock-off of The Ring and not the other way around.
greatest horror movie ever made
The Exorcist?

Oh dang, I'd forgotten about the Vince Vaughn Psycho! Yeesh.

It Follows is fucking great. It preys upon the sensations I've had in nightmares, the sort of existential dread and inability to escape. It is low-ass budget, though.

also people sleep on Rosemary's Baby

I watched that for the first time in the past year. It just didn't click with me. I never quite got what it was going for, I guess.

The original House on Haunted Hill, though, that's great!

if I were a mod you'd get a week ban for that

also people sleep on Rosemary's Baby

It's not my fault that you can't handle cold hard fact!

It Follows is fucking great. It preys upon the sensations I've had in nightmares, the sort of existential dread and inability to escape. It is low-ass budget, though.
Guess I'll chuck it on the pile of movies I need to pick up later this year.

Almost all the horror movies you guys listed suck. Then again, horror movies in general suck.

Edit: I did enjoy It Follows and Babadook, though, because they were a bit deeper. Oh yeah and Psycho and The Shining are great.

Dragon

Banned
All the horror movies you guys listed suck. Then again, horror movies in general suck.

Edit: I did enjoy It Follows and Babadook, though, because they were a bit deeper.

I haven't seen Babadook, but have seen It Follows. Not sure what's deep about it though.

I haven't seen Babadook, but have seen It Follows. Not sure what's deep about it though.

Well, compared to most horror movies I'd say It Follows gives you more to think about. It's not just as simple as scary presence follows you around. There is meaning in the manifestations.

I wanna rewatch an MGScanlon series before the release of TPP.

Which playthrough should I watch? I'm leaning towards MGS2 for the sheer fuckery, but MGS1 might be a good rewatch too.

Xater

Well, compared to most horror movies I'd say It Follows gives you more to think about. It's not just as simple as scary presence follows you around. There is meaning in the manifestations.

I don't know. I watched It Follows yesterday and while it was very well crafted it felt like a plump allegory for STDs. I liked the film, but I don't think it's that deep. Cinematography, music and sense of dread are fantastic throughout though.

Word. It's also like...
innocence lost
or something.
That too! I mean, that's as deep as it goes though, really.
I don't know. I watched It Follows yesterday and while it was very well crafted it felt like a plump allegory for STDs. I liked the film, but I don't think it's that deep. Cinematography, music and sense of dread are fantastic throughout though.

Yeah, it's not exactly steeped in intricate meaning or anything. It's just a bit more than just another scary movie.

Xater

Yeah, it's not exactly steeped in intricate meaning or anything. It's just a bit more than just another scary movie.

I'd say it relies more on it's execution than the actual concept. It would not have turned out as well from a lesser film maker.

Exactly. They're not incredibly deep, but they're a bit deeper than the movies where there's just a slasher that wants to kill teens for being teens or a ghost/demon that is pissed at everybody.

kai3345

Banned
It Follows and Babadook are both awesome horror films, but neither are the second coming of horror that movie nerds make them out to be

Xater

It Follows and Babadook are both awesome horror films, but neither are the second coming of horror that movie nerds make them out to be

I agree with the second part. I hated Babadook. It bored me and made me hate kids. I don't think either was intentional.

Jeff on the Gears of War remaster:

"I don't think that game holds up very well at all."

Not too surprising.

And I'd agree. We have moved on in games quite a bit and it was eclipsed by it's sequels. Seeing people hand out 9s to this remaster is like totally absurd to me.

Lelcar

Which playthrough should I watch? I'm leaning towards MGS2 for the sheer fuckery, but MGS1 might be a good rewatch too.
Metal Gear Scanlon 2 is my favourite Scanlon by far.

Agree. The cinematography and sound is fantastic for sure, but the movie itself is average. I was actually frustrated at how dumb the characters were throughout the movie. Usually i don't care about stupid characters in a horror film, but It Follows gave more of an emphasis that they wanted their characters to succeed. I dunno, I'm so mixed on the film. I was told about this movie like it was the best thing to happen to the horror franchise, nah, but it's OK.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jeff on the Gears of War remaster:

"I don't think that game holds up very well at all."

Not too surprising.

Don't tell the lunatics in the review thread. They're already pissed off that Gamespot gave the re-release a lower score than the original ten fucking years ago. If they find out the same reviewer would give the same game a far lower score today, they'd lose what little is left of their minds.

Xater

Don't tell the lunatics in the review thread. They're already pissed off that Gamespot gave the re-release a lower score than the original ten fucking years ago. If they find out the same reviewer would give the same game a far lower score today, they'd lose what little is left of their minds.

Yup, it's weird. I probably wouldn't give any remaster the same score as the original. Only exception might be Shadow of the Colossus because the framerate on that was atrocious in it's original release and the art holds up surprisingly well.

justjim89

Marble Hornets is one of the greatest horror things of recent times. So well done. It went on a little long, but it was so great. It's a shame Slender Man stuff got so over-saturated.

I agree with the second part. I hated Babadook. It bored me and made me hate kids. I don't think either was intentional.

And I'd agree. We have moved on in games quite a bit and it was eclipsed by it's sequels. Seeing people hand out 9s to this remaster is like totally absurd to me.

Babadook is about the mom more than it is about the child, though. From what I can tell, it's about
the mother's bipolar disorder or depression about the loss of her husband and the difficulties of being a single mother. She keeps those demons locked up inside of her and she sometimes feeds them to keep them satiated
. I actually really liked it.

Edit: I liked Marble Hornets, but it got REALLY repetitive towards the end. The story just meandered for a long time. The ending was good, though.

Xater

Babadook is about the mom more than it is about the child, though. From what I can tell, it's about
the mother's bipolar disorder or depression about the loss of her husband and the difficulties of being a single mother. She keeps those demons locked up inside of her and she sometimes feeds them to keep them satiated
. I actually really liked it.

Edit: I liked Marble Hornets, but it got REALLY repetitive towards the end. The story just meandered for a long time. The ending was good, though.

I got what it's about, but it really didn't work for me.

Brashnir

Review threads should only ever be entered for comedic value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom