• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

I don't know what heavy rain is, but I do like horror games, which is kind of surprising considering how much I dislike most horror movies.

Surprising.

Heavy Rain is a game from Quantic Dream, the same company that did Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Beyond: Two Souls.

Think games that are heavy on the QTEs, with a small smattering of exploration.

And I'm saying this as a person who likes QD's games.

Why's the UK Kotaku site so much better than US?

Isn't the UK site not actually owned by Gawker, but simply licensing the branding and ability to cross-post articles?

Or am I thinking of the Australian version?

Brashnir

Surely there are lots more Preposition-Noun titles left. Under Moonlight. Above Clouds. Among Manatees.

This sounds like a fun game to play. Come up with a preposition + noun(s) game title and write a synposis of the gameplay.

Amongst Fences - A puzzle game where you have to come up with fencing solutions that meet all of a group of neighbors requirements.

Between Synapses - Another puzzle game where you control a nanomachine living in a host's brain. You can re-wire their brain circuitry to change the way they act, (such as by wiring the part of the brain that smells coffee to the part of the brain that causes aggression to get a guy to kill his co-worker). The available brain functions are limited by scenario to keep things to a reasonable number of options.

tchocky

Brad wondered why Trine 3 was so short looks like they tried to do more than they had funds to make.

"Back in late 2012, we set out to do Trine 3 in full 3D - bigger, badder, better. We took a big risk with the 3D gameplay implementation - it was to be a massive improvement over the previous games in several areas. We have always been ambitious and this time our ambition may have gotten the better of us," explained Kinnunen.

"[…] we did not intentionally make the game “short” as many have said in order to make money off of future DLC or whatever. We tried to make something too ambitious, and it ended up financially impossible.

"Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power has ended up costing nearly triple that of Trine 2 – over 5.4 million USD. We initially had a much longer story written and more levels planned, but to create what we envisioned, it would have taken at least triple the money, probably up to 15 million USD, which we didn’t realize until [it was] too late."

That answers my question if Risen 3 is actually good.
Bad PS4 port, doesn't mean the game itself is bad. Just look into the pc version. And you actually have two good reviews there, dtoid's 1/10 just tanked the average.

And I only ran into one progress halting bug in the Witcher 3 and a load fixed it. The joys of pc gaming:p

Surprising.

Heavy Rain is a game from Quantic Dream, the same company that did Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Beyond: Two Souls.

Think games that are heavy on the QTEs, with a small smattering of exploration.

And I'm saying this as a person who likes QD's games.

Isn't the UK site not actually owned by Gawker, but simply licensing the branding and ability to cross-post articles?

Or am I thinking of the Australian version?

I've heard of it, but all I know about it is that weird image of the woman's face that they teased a while back. I've never played any of the QD games, nor have I seen them aside from a little bit of Beyond in Giant Bomb's QL.

This sounds like a fun game to play. Come up with a preposition + noun(s) game title and write a synposis of the gameplay.

Amongst Fences - A puzzle game where you have to come up with fencing solutions that meet all of a group of neighbors requirements.

Between Synapses - Another puzzle game where you control a nanomachine living in a host's brain. You can re-wire their brain circuitry to change the way they act, (such as by wiring the part of the brain that smells coffee to the part of the brain that causes aggression to get a guy to kill his co-worker). The available brain functions are limited by scenario to keep things to a reasonable number of options.

Across Waters - A game where you sail for ridiculous amounts of time in hopes that at some point actual game content will show up.

Beyond has problems with the writing as you'd expect but it actually has really clever mechanics with Aden that work really well within the genre and give it a lot more playability than people give it credit for.

LiK

Beyond has problems with the writing as you'd expect but it actually has really clever mechanics with Aden that work really well within the genre and give it a lot more playability than people give it credit for.

people like to shit on them cuz it's from David Cage but Cage always had some really good ideas and concepts. I always enjoy my experiences with his games.

I kind of disagree and the only thing I really kind of dug about the whole thing was blowing up all the cops

everything else seemed super prescribed and lame

Megasoum

Banned
That moment when your job requires you to do stuff in the command prompt but you're also watching the Hacknet quicklook at the same time so you feel like a fucking badass hax0r

Glad GB avoided this whole mess.

I still don't really understand how Destructoid got a retail version of the game without attending the event. Why would the others attend the event then, and why apparently didn't GB get any?

Yeah apparently Jason Schreier also has a review copy he can play at his own pace. I think Kojima's mad at Dan for not remembering the lyrics to Heavens Divide so he didn't want to send them a copy.

I think he only asked him a question about an action movie and Kojima acted like he had no idea what he's talking about.

I *believe* Dan asked him about Predator and Kojima was all like, i dunno watcha talkin' about.

But i could be wrong about what the actual movie it was. Just remember it being an 80s ass action movie

Zaph

Can't wait for Paxamania

uW5GBbK.png

Myggen

I think we've now established that Dan is the reason why Kojima is no longer at Konami, and why GB didn't get a review copy of the game,

Myggen

What a shit show. If you're playing a game in such conditions, how could you take any pride in your review?

It's a good thing that review events are mainly a thing of the past. Brad mentioned in this thread that MGSV was the first review event for a single player game they had been invited to in a long, long time. Normally it's mainly just COD that has events like that.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
What a shit show. If you're playing a game in such conditions, how could you take any pride in your review?

A lot of reviewers are used to playing games in a shallow way because they don't have the time to deep dive anyway. That's one of the reasons games with high production values tend to do well. If it aint broken, looks good, plays well, that's a lot of marks right there, to many reviewers. I have no problem believing that RPS piece (or was it one of the others, I forget) that said a bunch of reviewers were rushing through parts using the chicken mask.

It's a good thing that review events are mainly a thing of the past. Brad mentioned in this thread that MGSV was the first review event for a single player game they had been invited to in a long, long time. Normally it's mainly just COD that has events like that.

At least COD makes a bit more sense considering it's multiplayer-centric. Still, hopefully MGSV is as great as it sounds.

Dragon

Banned
Until Dawn looks like a game that the Beasters would like (if they maintain their Phantasmagoria roots!). Really campy, stupid dialogue...

Rightly so. Review events should be done and dusted by now. Even if the reviewer feels they had a complete experience, it still looks bad. I feel like such conditions would create a figurative reality distortion field.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
A lot of reviewers are used to playing games in a shallow way because they don't have the time to deep dive anyway. That's one of the reasons games with high production values tend to do well. If it aint broken, looks good, plays well, that's a lot of marks right there, to many reviewers. I have no problem believing that RPS piece (or was it one of the others, I forget) that said a bunch of reviewers were rushing through parts using the chicken mask.

Yup!

One of many reasons I don't pay any attention to reviews. Impressions of games that I have no interest in on podcasts can be good to hear and pique my interest, but generally I know what I am after. I don't want to hear any critical points about MGSV until after I'm done. I will be consequently avoiding any gb content of it until then as well (not that I'd give much credence to Dan's input on it - he has the most shallow perspective on it conceivable and appears to not really understand the message and subtext of 1 and 2).

Myggen

At least COD makes a bit more sense considering it's multiplayer-centric. Still, hopefully MGSV is as great as it sounds.

That's just like someone employed by Activision would say!!!!!!!!! ;)

Nah, I agree. As long as reviewers get access to a retail copy of the game and test it when the game is out to see that the game works when the game has been released, I don't have a huge problem with such an event for a game like COD. It doesn't make any sense for SP games though.

That's just like someone employed by Activision would say!!!!!!!!! ;)

Nah, I agree. As long as reviewers get access to a retail copy of the game and test it when the game is out to see that the game works when the game has been released, I don't have a huge problem with such an event for a game like COD. It doesn't make any sense for SP games though.
Yeah I know I'm biased but honestly I'm not even a big COD fan.
Edit: With that said, I recognize that they're great games. I'm just not into traditional FPS games. Advanced Warfare had a fun single player campaign though.

Myggen

Yeah I know I'm biased but honestly I'm not even a big COD fan.
Edit: With that said, I recognize that they're great games. I'm just not into traditional FPS games. Advanced Warfare had a fun single player campaign though.

Activision seems to be doing review events in the least shitty way. It seems like the reviewers get a home version of the game soon after the event, so they can play it from home soon after.

sometimes, i like to stoke the flames of angry playstation nerds who always threaten to cancel their ps+ account every month because Knack/15 retail AAA ps4 games weren't added that month.

So I posted this to see if I'd get any response from people who are upset by this

Yeah, i remember when the ps3 was getting terrific retail games in 2006, 2007 on PS+. And now we get this indie trash every day and it's like, doesn't someone at Sony remember how awesome PS+ was in the first couple of years of the PS3?

of course the trick with this statement is that PS+ didn't start until about 4 years(!) into the PS3's lifecycle, allowing for plenty of retail games to get ancient enough to be steadily offered on the PS3. So it's fun to poke at those who can't contain their disgust at the pretty damn solid PS+ games every month because they have no sense of perspective.

good times, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom