• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe they'll get what remains of Criterion to stick skateboards in that game they're ostensibly still working on that was announced primarily to fill time at an E3 conference

But I want a Skate game not a shitty arcade racer with skateboard cars ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

justjim89

Brad actually reviewing The Taken King is just one step closer to my prediction of him fighting for it to at least make #10 on their GOTY list.

78146-Jesse-Pinkman-he-cant-keep-get-MlXe.gif

So Jeff is definitely pulling for THPS5 in his most disappointed of the year.

Crazy that he didn't even have much expectations for it and is still this angry/disappointed with it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Crazy that he didn't even have much expectations for it and is still this angry/disappointed in it.

I didn't either. The thing is, I think most people looked at this like 'it'll be as bad as THPS HD' which was a bad Tony Hawk imitation. This, however, is such a different beast. It's like a bad Tony Hawk imitation but from people who have only ever heard of what the Tony Hawk games are supposed to be like.

I think what gets me most about TH5 is that there's no flow to it. It's all sudden and ugly transitions between two points of animation, especially with that slam mechanic. It's a pain in the ass to follow, and it looks like levels are too small for how sudden everything happens.

danm999

Crazy that he didn't even have much expectations for it and is still this angry/disappointed with it.

Yep. It'll be a case where the expectations weren't very high, but the end result is so much more dismal than you expect.

I think what gets me most about TH5 is that there's no flow to it. It's all sudden and ugly transitions between two points of animation, especially with that slam mechanic. It's a pain in the ass to follow, and it looks like levels are too small for how sudden everything happens.
The level design contributes to that too. There are no lines in any of the levels I've seen. Go back and look at a level like Alcatraz and see the sheer density of stuff and how everything links together so you can grind your way around the whole map. Then look at how barren the stuff in 5 is.

Wasn't Brad's argument to get Destiny into the top 10 that the only thing wrong with it was there wasn't enough of it, lol. Expect Taken King to be this year.

Brad's argument was that he can talk longer and won't give up on his point until he's blue in the face or his opponents give in to his demands.

But really I don't think they're going to put Destiny on the list this year.

The level design contributes to that too. There are no lines in any of the levels I've seen. Go back and look at a level like Alcatraz and see the sheer density of stuff and how everything links together so you can grind your way around the whole map. Then look at how barren the stuff in 5 is.

Totally, I was waiting for those big trick combo lines that are always supposed to be in these games. The kind of thing that lets you pull off millions of points going from one end of the map to the other while feeling awesome about doing so.

Renpatsu

The levels also seem to have no surprises to them. The original games had nooks and crannies and little secrets hidden everywhere that only added to the positive feedback loop. Granted I haven't seen anything beyond the QL, but it really does seem like they're just levels created in the level editor with little thought given to the skate lines and points of interest.

Look how nice this looks!

Bacon

I've always wondered if Lil Wayne can actually skate worth shit. Has anyone seen film of him actually doing tricks or anything?

He can do a few tricks but he's not actually very good. When he was super drugged out a few years ago he had it in his head that he wanted to quit rapping and become a professional skater. That never came to pass.

Zocano

Taken King is dlc, can't qualify for the main GOTY list.

Eh, I mean sure, but that isn't going to stop me from putting it on my list at the end of the year for the voting thread. I did the same for the Dishonored DLC because it's so damn good.

I can see Brad pushing for it

zeshakag

RIP LIl wayne. May you stalefish throughout the galaxy.

Has anybody heard anything regarding any new tabletop/boardgame content? I loved when they played Avalon. I want to see them play dnd again but perhaps with a more experienced dm.

I'm watching the Giant Bomb Mario Maker level being played by Arda Ocal/Kyle Edwards on Periscope and I'm realizing how the existence of Dan Ryckert effectively turns the concept of Six Degrees of Separation into Three or Four.

LiK

watching Tony Hawk QL and the constant "x Joinied the game and x Has Left the game" messages about those random players is annoying as hell. why is the text so damn big? who gives a fuck who's joining and leaving the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom