• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
undertale seems like a hot top 10 contender this year. kinda out of nowhere, too. (it always looked neat but it's hard to tell if the final game will hit those marks, especially with the writing)

do we know of any gbwest peeps playing it?

Don't think so, I'm sure they're aware of it but I don't think any of them have mentioned checking it out.

Kirlia

Banned
Don't think so, I'm sure they're aware of it but I don't think any of them have mentioned checking it out.

(wheezes with pain)

Never has a game made me want to purchase a bunch of copies and hand them out to people. It's not a perfect game, but damn if it isn't an incredible and emotional experience that people need to see for themselves.

There is a large wide line between unreasonable expectations and stratospheric expectations. I mean, there was something to be said for imaginations to be running wild at the beginning when the game was announced. But now there is enough media and statements from the developers for people to kind of know what they're getting.

multiply by gamer hyperbole coefficient

yeah, there's no way there isn't a NMS backlash because expectations have been set in such a way that no game will meet them. If star citizen can't do it with its stupidly large budget and scope i can't image a procedurally generated space sim-lite game is gonna pull it off.

but will it be a fun experience for people who have their expectations in check? i hope so.

I dont see any of them playing this outside of brad. none of them care much for jrpgs or jrpg-likes unless they're f2p then drew wants in on it

(wheezes with pain)

Never has a game made me want to purchase a bunch of copies and hand them out to people. It's not a perfect game, but damn if it isn't an incredible and emotional experience that people need to see for themselves.

I bought a copy earlier today and I'm really looking forward to playing it this weekend, the quicklook really sold me on it.

would have surprised me if they had

austin's top 10 will be the one to look out for again

in the meantime, i should stock up on steam credit

I think that the GBeast crew might end up bringing a number of games to the GOTY discussion that West hasn't really played. I imagine they'll at least bring up Cradle, Her Story and Undertale and I don't think West has mentioned playing any of those, apart from Brad beating Cradle.

Kirlia

Banned
I dont see any of them playing this outside of brad. none of them care much for jrpgs or jrpg-likes unless they're f2p then drew wants in on it

Understandable, but the game itself takes about ten hours
if you don't kill anything
, avoiding attacks is more like a bullet hell (but not overly hard), you don't need to grind
unless you want to have more money, which you get from sparing enemies

Brad, if you're reading this, this game is worth it. Give it a go.

it's had plenty of issues recently. I can run 720/60 QLs with youtube but half the time i suffer buffering issues on the website proper. And i'm connected to my router directly, no wifi, so it makes zero sense.

I'm connected via Wifi but everything else works including pretty much all other video sites. I can see that it's barely using half my bandwidth when it's bad like that.

(wheezes with pain)

gaf user larsa has been posting some pics/gifs on tumblr since it came out, and frankly those alone are enough to make me want to play it. didn't watch the QL because I'm already sold and want to see it myself

we've been through this: It makes the bottom 1/3 of the top ten through brad's sheer will alone. It will not beat metal gear solid v for the goty, nothing does.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm gonna go ahead and say I don't think Nanako should be dancing all night. She'll be too tired to do the laundry in the morning.

the only (brand new) 2015 game I've played this year is Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and that came out in the US in 2014 so it only counts for me, so GOTY discussions are moot for me

here's what I'm playing instead

CQKIUe6WcAA5WMu.jpg

Liamc723

Nah. There have been so many amazing games this year, patching a crappy game isn't going to rank very highly.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Destiny: The Taken King belongs on that top 10 list. Maybe not in the top 5, but it deserves to be there. I guess its position will depend on how high the duders are willing to put an expansion on their list.

Heimbeck

Banned
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Destiny: The Taken King belongs on that top 10 list. Maybe not in the top 5, but it deserves to be there. I guess its position will depend on how high the duders are willing to put an expansion on their list.

I don't think they can put it on the list as it's DLC.
I'm sure Brad and maybe some others will put it in their personal top 10 lists though.

Zornack

(wheezes with pain)

Is it really that good? I played for maybe 20 minutes and got tired out by the large number of random encounters. Then I read online that
apparently you have to beat the game without combat to get the real ending,
which seems like it'd make the gameplay even more tiresome.

jaina

the only (brand new) 2015 game I've played this year is Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and that came out in the US in 2014 so it only counts for me, so GOTY discussions are moot for me

here's what I'm playing instead

CQKIUe6WcAA5WMu.jpg
Hah, I have the white NN3DS as well and an untouched copy of Hotel Dusk in it's case.
I've played an unusually high amount of just released games this year: almost 7.

demidar

does reborn mean nothing to you people? It's not JUST a patch, its on a Source 2 for Gaben's sake. Its basically HL3, if it's not GOTY I'm cancelling my sub

Yeah it should win.

The Hottest Mess category :V

doesn't Brad put Dota in his personal list every year? I forget.

Probably, and that's fine but I'm more looking forward to Austin's list. If it doesn't have a Musou game on it then I can safely call him a fraud.

DamnBoxes

(wheezes with pain)

I'm with you 100% on that.

Man, Dancing All Night seems like the most barebones mini-game ever. I mean I'm glad it exists just for the fact to hear Jeff talk more about Persona, but good grief, that game doesn't seem like it needed to have all the hype/time for it. It seems like it could be beaten 100% in less than a couple hours. And the actual gameplay of it is really poor. Why do they have all those weird clapping and scratching sounds for every time you press a button when its not even on beat? It seems really distracting.... oh well, it was a fun quicklook and made me know I'll never need to actually buy it.

Watching the P4:DAN quic look, Jason mentions it takes place AFTER the fighting games. Does anybody know if you need to play the fighting games to understand it?/Does it spoil the fighting games?

It's funny how some people make fun of the WiiU because of lack of content, and forget completely about the Vita because it's worse.
But it's not worse.
Watching the P4:DAN quic look, Jason mentions it takes place AFTER the fighting games. Does anybody know if you need to play the fighting games to understand it?/Does it spoil the fighting games?
You don't need to know anything from the fighting games. None of that matters for Dancing.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but the Vita does not have very many good games and most of the best ones are inferior ports from other platforms and/or came out long before the Vita release. At least the WiiU has some compelling exclusives.

FluxWaveZ

There's a single line that spoils one background detail from Ultimax (which is pretty much not a spoiler) and that's it.

Man, Dancing All Night seems like the most barebones mini-game ever. I mean I'm glad it exists just for the fact to hear Jeff talk more about Persona, but good grief, that game doesn't seem like it needed to have all the hype/time for it. It seems like it could be beaten 100% in less than a couple hours. And the actual gameplay of it is really poor. Why do they have all those weird clapping and scratching sounds for every time you press a button when its not even on beat? It seems really distracting.... oh well, it was a fun quicklook and made me know I'll never need to actually buy it.

It's reviewing well because it's a better game than you make it sound. Also, all of those note and scratch sounds can be changed or turned off entirely.

The game's true nature becomes apparent on All Night difficulty, and it's a shame that it's a pain to unlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom