• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i think in my brain i must have meant 'grand theft auto clone' instead of 'open world game' but i guess no take-backsies

my advice for a person who loved Dead Rising 2 but wished it was more of an open world would have to be "jesus christ what are you doing play dead rising 3 as soon as you can"

seriously, it's exactly what you want

waiting for pc sale (lol)

Patryn

i think in my brain i must have meant 'grand theft auto clone' instead of 'open world game' but i guess no take-backsies

Figured that was the case, but I had to take the opening.

Seriously, though, I think the Shadow of Mordor mention is probably the best answer, barring that it's a fantasy game and not modern world.

waiting for pc sale (lol)

Christmas sale is only a couple months away.

Jintor

Figured that was the case, but I had to take the opening.

Seriously, though, I think the Shadow of Mordor mention is probably the best answer, barring that it's a fantasy game and not modern world.

Christmas sale is only a couple months away.

I think DR3 PC came out like oct or november last year, so the sale price was like 10 or 20% off at most. I try not to buy games above $10 during the sales.

on a side note, I must be the only one who thought the sword stuff actually detracted from the impact of Arkham style combat. The thing about Batman was that impacts felt powerful, and turning swords into sledgehammers didn't really fit, even if you did occasionally (all the time) get to behead people

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm at the point where the sheer mention of a game having arkham-like combat is enough to turn me off ever trying a game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
so is inquisition the most critically-acclaimed game of 2014 that nobody really gives a shit about
I finished it and actively dislike it if that helps. The awards it got are a joke in my opinion, unless they were called "most game" or something.

Jintor

arkham combat gives me the same feeling of a rhythm game where you can't fuck up your combo, but it's harder to read

the infinite combo room in arkham city was my jam

Jintor

man i don't know if jeff heard a lot of lotus juice rap but I would really have liked to hear his reaction to the backside of the TV extended cut. I dunno if Jason had unlocked that yet tho

Alr1ght is a crazy person for editing like 15 hours worth of videos to get around those copyright strikes

but the kinect stream is back and everything is right with the world

buy an xbox one

(but seriously the PC port is bad)

naw, at its worst the PC version outperforms the XB1 version. It's just considered bad by those crazies that want to run it at 120hz in 4k while their PC downloads 60 torrents and also runs a CSGO server.

But if you want to play the game with equal to or better settings that on the XB1 then a midrange card from 2-3 years ago will do. It's not the best optimized pc port but it's not bad, either

It would not be enough for me. At least not at this asking price.
I'm sure it wouldn't be for most, but as long as Devastation plays well then I'll get my money out of it.

man i don't know if jeff heard a lot of lotus juice rap but I would really have liked to hear his reaction to the backside of the TV extended cut. I dunno if Jason had unlocked that yet tho
Jason had unlocked it, unfortunately he didn't play it. I also would have liked to see Jeff's reactions to Kanji's dancing in the time to make history remix.

wanting to run a game at 60fps doesn't make me crazy

you're crazy

well there's a bad port and then there's an okay port. A bad port implies it might be broken or missing things that should be there otherwise. DR3 has all of the features and effects from its console counterpart and then some.

If you want to argue that it's not well optimized then you have my sword. But i can run it better than the xb1 version on a now long in the tooth gtx 770. 1080p and +30 fps. that's okay by me

tuxfool

Banned
well there's a bad port and then there's an okay port. A bad port implies it might be broken or missing things that should be there otherwise. DR3 has all of the features and effects from its console counterpart and then some.

If you want to argue that it's not well optimized then you have my sword. But i can run it better than the xb1 version on a now long in the tooth gtx 770. 1080p and +30 fps. that's okay by me

It seems to run ok on modest hardware. It is just that people expect a certain degree of scalability. Throw more hardware at a problem then it should perform better (within reason).

Where something like the Witcher 3 rates very highly and Arkham Knight is at the bottom (such that it is broken). Dead Rising 3 is somewhere on the mid-low end of that scale.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
to be fair to that series, it basically had a proto version of that system already in place. This would be a natural evolution for the series.

I disagree that it would be an evolution. Assassin's Creed and its one hit instant kills were one of the few things I still liked about the series. Waiting for the opening and murdering a dude was never hard, but at least it felt different than most games. The new game looks like suddenly you're fighting enemies from Uncharted 1 with a cane, they just never fucking die.

The two styles are similar but it doesn't actually improve on what Assassin's Creed did. It just draws the fights out for a prolonged period.

Antiwhippy

I'm still surprised that people are still surprised about how giantbomb covers soccer games. Even going all the way back to the very beginning.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm still surprised that people are still surprised about how giantbomb covers soccer games. Even going all the way back to the very beginning.

I'm a little surprised Dan didn't know the US women are the best in the world. Not because it's information he would seek out, but because at some point in the past decade he must have accidentally heard that enough for it to stick in the "U! S! A!" part of his brain.

Antiwhippy

As sad as it may be any women's sport that is a counterpart to a major male-dominated sport has really shitty coverage.

So stop being surprised damnit.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm a little surprised Dan didn't know the US women are the best in the world. Not because it's information he would seek out, but because at some point in the past decade he must have accidentally heard that enough for it to stick in the "U! S! A!" part of his brain.

I literally haven't heard a single thing about women's soccer since people were talking about Mia Hamm in the late 90s.

GavinGT

Banned
I may have missed them talking about this on the Bombcast, but are they playing through the entire Destiny raid today? And they're doing it in the office, too? The last one had shit audio quality.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
they had a world cup recently. I think USA did okay. I could be wrong on both counts though

It was this summer, US won. They were in the finals last time around too but lost. England's own goal loss was like the biggest story in the news the day after it happened, I don't really follow sports any more and I heard about it constantly.

I may have missed them talking about this on the Bombcast, but are they playing through the entire Destiny raid today? And they're doing it in the office, too? The last one had shit audio quality.

Last one was on a weekend I believe, so yeah it'd be in the office

Ok maybe it wasn't

I don't remember

KingKong

to be fair, I think you'd have to follow sports pretty closely (like I do) to know about the Womens world cup, so I'm not surprised that the guys who barely know what their local teams are doing haven't heard of it

Antiwhippy

Did you guys know that the Australian women's cricket team managed to take the ashes this year despite the failure of the men's team?

Guys?

Brad said that the audio issues were because they used PS4 chat, so they'll probably end up switching to skype for the raid today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom