• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

Bringing Danny in saves these quick looks.

If it were just two americans who don't care about European sports being bewildered and either jokingly (Jeff) or really (Dan) talking shit, it can be seen as nasty and ignorant. When they have some guy actually trying to explain the appeal and what is happening on screen it makes it a lot more entertaining. Even Dan was okay in this one. He almost went in to a "why doesn't every country do it like we do" rant but Jeff shut him down before he could get too worked up.

Hope they do it again for PES.

FluxWaveZ

If it were just two americans who don't care about European sports being bewildered and either jokingly (Jeff) or really (Dan) talking shit, it can be seen as nasty and ignorant. When they have some guy actually trying to explain the appeal and what is happening on screen it makes it a lot more entertaining. Even Dan was okay in this one. He almost went in to a "why doesn't everyone do it like we do" rant but Jeff shut him down before he could get worked up.

I know there are a fair number of people who have this opinion—which is why many are happy that GBEast mostly took over the sport QLs because of Alex and Austin's knowledge—but I'm one of the people who primarily appreciated the Jeff and Vinny "Sport Expert" duo because of their flippant attitude toward the entire thing, which is pretty much gone now.

GavinGT

Banned
I know there are a fair number of people who have this opinion—which is why many are happy that GBEast mostly took over the sport QLs because of Alex and Austin's knowledge—but I'm one of the people who primarily appreciated the Jeff and Vinny "Sport Expert" duo because of their flippant attitude toward the entire thing, which is pretty much gone now.

That cricket QL was still the best thing ever. The Don Bradman one, I mean.

Aaaaaaagh I can't watch it until I'm back from work. Are they playing with STOKE CITY?

Edit: God damnit if Danny is there they're probably using Arsenal huh.

Danny's moved on to bigger and better teams.

LOGO_SHAMROCK_ROVERS.jpg

And they weren't discriminant - all sports got equal treatment.

Nothing will beat Don Bradman.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

If it were just two americans who don't care about European sports being bewildered and either jokingly (Jeff) or really (Dan) talking shit, it can be seen as nasty and ignorant. When they have some guy actually trying to explain the appeal and what is happening on screen it makes it a lot more entertaining. Even Dan was okay in this one. He almost went in to a "why doesn't every country do it like we do" rant but Jeff shut him down before he could get too worked up.

Jeff got a few moments of "why don't the rest of the world do it like we do" but everybody focused on Dan because it's Dan I guess.

KingKong

I really enjoyed the part where they went over sports teams and logos but then watching them poorly play the game for an hour wasn't all that entertaining

AcridMeat

Banned
I think the main thing about them playing dumb about soccer is that after years of being exposed to these games you'd think they would pick up a thing or two about what you're supposed to do. Not expecting them to learn it since they don't care, but the act has diminishing returns when you know they've done many of these by now. I haven't watched this particular QL yet though so my thoughts might change.
I'm a little surprised Dan didn't know the US women are the best in the world. Not because it's information he would seek out, but because at some point in the past decade he must have accidentally heard that enough for it to stick in the "U! S! A!" part of his brain.
As sad as it may be any women's sport that is a counterpart to a major male-dominated sport has really shitty coverage.

So stop being surprised damnit.
The women's world cup final this summer had insane viewer numbers. The only thing ahead of it was the Super Bowl.

I'm surprised Dan didn't know it just because it was everywhere over the summer here, and as Archaix said he'll take any moment to be patriotic.

Antiwhippy

The women's world cup final this summer had insane viewer numbers. The only thing ahead of it was the Super Bowl.

I'm surprised Dan didn't know it just because it was everywhere over the summer here, and as Archaix said he'll take any moment to be patriotic.

It's kind of the first time that the women's world cup has gotten this much viewership though. Which is nice really. The more exposure women's sports get the better.

Myggen

The women's world cup got fuck all coverage here in Norway, and we've cared about women's football longer than pretty much everyone else. I was surprised that it was happening when I heard about it, and it had been happening for well over a week at that point. Save for maybe Germany(?), women's football only get coverage in countries when your country is doing well, which is a shame.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's kind of the first time that the women's world cup has gotten this much viewership though. Which is nice really. The more exposure women's sports get the better.

It's the largest numbers by a good amount but 1999 and 2011 with the US team in the finals also got strong ratings. Women's world cup is more prominent in US coverage than men's, simply because there's a chance the US will win. It also obviously helps when it's held in a US-compatible time zone.

Also because Brandi Chastain took her shirt off, which carried the coverage until soccer actually started to pick up steam in general. That was one of the most iconic sports photos for years.

I've fallen asleep on two separate occasions watching the skylanders QL. I should send that to a sleep studies center for investigation

AcridMeat

Banned
Right, but that only happened because they had the coverage. I'm just pointing out it's not really the case that no one cares/watches. It has much more to do with where these tournaments are held. Since this was in Canada, all of the games were on everywhere.

Antiwhippy

Right, but that only happened because they had the coverage. I'm just pointing out it's not really the case that no one cares/watches. It has much more to do with where these tournaments are held. Since this was in Canada, all of the games were on everywhere.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Though I always think about these things comparing with the male counterpart, which isn't really fair because it's fucking Fifa and not the benchmark to judge mainstream coverage for the women's division.

AcridMeat

Banned
True, which makes the inclusion of the women's teams pretty cool and a bigger deal than it seems on it's face.

However it's still absolutely true that if the men's team had done the same the country would erupt.

strafer

There's some that say we won't last
Say that we could never beat the the odds
But we just look at them and laugh
As the pressure surges through our heads so strong
The heavy side of life
Keeps us going day by day
Our enemies we won't forgive
Condemn them to a life of pain

Read more: Exodus - 'Till Death Do Us Part Lyrics | MetroLyrics

It's not really what Jeff wants out of Trackmania without the batshit user-generated side of it, though. He needs people driving around as Sonic the Hedgehog and blaring dancehall airhorns while listening to shitty dubstep remixes of TV show themes.

Correct. If this delay adds it in, then it will be saved.

Custom tracks are in, but the dedicated server stuff that allows a majority of the nutty shit I described above is out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Has anyone told Drew and Dan already that you can hold enemies by pointing your gun at them, and that you can aim your gun after kicking them awake to immediately interrogate them.

Also that in the options you can set interrogate to not require pressing the stick .

if no one else has im gonna tell them

edit: also that you can hold RT to throw projectiles further

It's not really what Jeff wants out of Trackmania without the batshit user-generated side of it, though. He needs people driving around as Sonic the Hedgehog and blaring dancehall airhorns while listening to shitty dubstep remixes of TV show themes.

it's what any person with something between their ears wants out of that game, I still have no idea what they're even thinking with this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom