• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what's going on with the third-person ghost stuff? Also, what a stark comparison to the god-awful first-person platforming earlier.

That's the mechanic of this particular boss. The player marked like that has to traverse platforms and grab an orb to dunk on the sister that's vulnerable.

Can I just say I really like the term for using that orb is to "dunk on them."

So are all raids "bland" like this?

Define 'Bland' because this fight is anything but.

Wait what's going on with the third-person ghost stuff? Also, what a stark comparison to the god-awful first-person platforming earlier.

Basically the ghost is 'hot potato'. Every phase someone else becomes a ghost, and your team has to jump on the big round platforms in a certain order, which spawns platforms with white orbs. You then have to jump across these platforms to grab the relic at the end, which you dunk on the sister who isn't singing, which removes her immunity shield.

That's the mechanic of this particular boss. The player marked like that has to traverse platforms and grab an orb to dunk on the sister that's vulnerable.

Basically the ghost is 'hot potato'. Every phase someone else becomes a ghost, and your team has to jump on the big round platforms in a certain order, which spawns platforms with white orbs. You then have to jump across these platforms to grab the relic at the end, which you dunk on the sister who isn't singing, which removes her immunity shield.

That seems pretty rad. I'm into that.

While an interesting mechanic, I really dislike that a failure is an immediate wipe. Maybe it should just make a horde of ads spawn so you at least have a chance.

Ken

While an interesting mechanic, I really dislike that a failure is an immediate wipe. Maybe it should just make a horde of ads spawn so you at least have a chance.

Raid fights are usually just 10 minute long scripted dances. Even if they gave you a chance at recovering from failure you still have enrage to deal with so often better to just wipe it up.

It just seems like standard boss design. Figure out what I've seen boring gimmick then repeat it a whole bunch. Thats from looking at it for about a hour so I could be totally wrong.

That's about all boss fights no? I mean, all boss fights are 'figure out gimmick, do gimmick, profit'. The difference between the raid fights in destiny is they offer these gimmicks that are different from anything else in the game.

Zocano

It just seems like standard boss design. Figure out what I've seen boring gimmick then repeat it a whole bunch. Thats from looking at it for about a hour so I could be totally wrong.

Sure, this is pretty standard stuff for MMO bosses like tank swapping and whatnot but the main conceit here is that it's melded with a shooter. I think it's quite fun even if the raid design isn't blowing MMO raid design out the water.

me too. Using a controller for a FPS is never something I'm going to be satisfied with.

Yep, I just can't play FPS with a controller anymore. Stuff like SOMA and Witcher I've been having a great time using a gamepad, but anything that requires precision like an FPS... just can't do it anymore. Just look at how the camera jerks when they're trying to track a target.

I preordered the Steam controller, and am reeeally curious to see if it strikes an acceptable balance.

jaina

Raid fights are usually just 10 minute long scripted dances. Even if they gave you a chance at recovering from failure you still have enrage to deal with so often better to just wipe it up.

Can confirm this. And as soon as everybody in the group is overgeared, you can get a bit sloppy (which makes the weekly grind more bearable).

AcridMeat

Banned
That's about all boss fights no? I mean, all boss fights are 'figure out gimmick, do gimmick, profit'. The difference between the raid fights in destiny is they offer these gimmicks that are different from anything else in the game.
I've never been a fan of boss fights in general. Blasphemous I know.

Sure, this is pretty standard stuff for MMO bosses like tank swapping and whatnot but the main conceit here is that it's melded with a shooter. I think it's quite fun even if the raid design isn't blowing MMO raid design out the water.
Ok. Fair enough.
I guess I was expecting a lot from they way Brad talked about destiny's raids on the bombcast.

maped

Neo Member
I don't know about this raid stuff but in general I'd be up for some Destiny on pc. I really like the gameplay in Borderlands, and what I've seen and heard of Destiny it seems similar and different enough to give it a shot should it ever come over. Also, I think the jaunty screens in this stream are somehow making me seasick.

Fake-edit: Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I don't know about this raid stuff but in general I'd be up for some Destiny on pc. I really like the gameplay in Borderlands, and what I've seen and heard of Destiny it seems similar and different enough to give it a shot should it ever come over. Also, I think the jaunty screens in this stream are somehow making me seasick.

It would be nice if Destiny comes to PC at some point, especially if they made it cross platform.

Welcome!

jaina

Hey! You're welcome to stay, I'm enjoying the other side of the lurk barrier myself

Edit: Which duder do you want to be your random loot generator?

Welcome!

I think I would also play it if it ever comes to PC. I'd play through the story with friends, and then probably never touch it again. Zero interest in this raid stuff, it seems like the worst.

The final boss!
Woooooooo

Welcome

HELLO new human.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
This has reinforced my belief that Destiny is an MMO and anyone who pretends that it is anything is insane. Everything they are doing in this stream is what I did back when I raided in WoW. This is exactly the same kind of stuff, but scaled down to 5 people and with guns. Not necessarily bad or anything, but people who claim to not like MMOs but like Destiny are just wrong. They are the same. This is MMO gameplay, pure and simple.

BanGy.nz

Banned

Welcome.

What are your opinions on Anime?

This has reinforced my belief that Destiny is an MMO and anyone who pretends that it is anything is insane. Everything they are doing in this stream is what I did back when I raided in WoW. This is exactly the same kind of stuff, but scaled down to 5 people and with guns. Not necessarily bad or anything, but people who claim to not like MMOs but like Destiny are just wrong. They are the same. This is MMO gameplay, pure and simple.

Except the Massive part.

I didn't need to play with friends to do the cool shit WoW. The community/guild tools are more robust to get people together for raids and shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom