• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

Mannnn

I kinda want to buy destiny

maaaanNNNNNNN

giphy.gif

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I love destiny but I can't play video games for that long enough to do the raid. Always thought I was missing something great till I watched this, seems tedious as all hell.

I'm glad they put in a way to get to max level without doing that now. My guy is 295 Light level and I mostly do strikes and other small group stuff.

Despite me poking so much fun at Destiny, I do find these streams to be entertaining enough.

However, imagine how many other, better games they could have been playing in all this time.

tuxfool

Banned
Except the Massive part.

I didn't need to play with friends to do the cool shit WoW. The community/guild tools are more robust to get people together for raids and shit.

Yeah these were the kinds of things that kept me in an MMO. Leaving the client open, chatting with randoms, treating the cities as a glorified chat rooms.

They could have done new episodes of Demo Derby, Old Game Show and Ranking of Fighters

In the same time they're spending on this, we could have gotten one of each of those shows.

danm999

This has reinforced my belief that Destiny is an MMO and anyone who pretends that it is anything is insane. Everything they are doing in this stream is what I did back when I raided in WoW. This is exactly the same kind of stuff, but scaled down to 5 people and with guns. Not necessarily bad or anything, but people who claim to not like MMOs but like Destiny are just wrong. They are the same. This is MMO gameplay, pure and simple.

Yep. With Brad taking raid mechanics this week on the Bombcast as well.

Which makes it all the stranger the tools for matchmaking are as limited as they are.

Which makes it all the stranger the tools for matchmaking are as limited as they are.

To be fair, watching this stream, do you think a group of randoms would be able to complete this in a sufficient time? Keep in mind a group brought together, 3 with raid experience, and working together(Which you can't expect randoms to cooperate) have spent a good 5 and a half hours already.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I nearly bought Destiny when Luke was on during the E3 live show. Thankfully I didn't because I'm a cool person who only buys cool things, like the pink yarn Yoshi amiibo.

Largo

I was going to buy Destiny PS4 2.0 or whatever, since I actually like this kind of thing, but then I remembered I have nobody to play with. So a Raid Team is kind of a no-go. Guess I'll go back to putting balloons on tanks.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely. Bungie not allowing matchmaking for raids is insane. WoW had the same thing early on and it sucked in exactly the same way. They then invented a solution which worked great. That Bungie didn't copy the solution boggles my mind.

RE: the massive part missing from Destiny. I agree, it isn't a "Massive Multiplayer Online" game, but it absolutely has the gameplay from one.

I completely disagree with Jeff and Brad's assertion that it isn't the same kind of thing because it has guns. Just because they are aiming instead of of clicking doesn't make the gameplay unique. I'm glad they get to experience those feelings I had years ago raiding in WoW. It was lots of fun! More people should have fun! That said, pretending that shooting a gun makes it somehow a different thing seems crazy to me. Opinions!

To be fair, watching this stream, do you think a group of randoms would be able to complete this in a sufficient time? Keep in mind a group brought together, 3 with raid experience, and working together(Which you can't expect randoms to cooperate) have spent a good 5 and a half hours already.
They could give the option or at least implement a LFG feature. I've gone through FF14 mainly playing with randoms both through matchmaking and LFG and it's been fine.
Mannnn

I kinda want to buy destiny

maaaanNNNNNNN
If you're aware of the games problems but still tempted I'd say it's worth picking up.

danm999

Yes. I've been in pugs that have managed to clear Herioic Highmaul.

Now I'll grant that WoW is an imperfect comparison since it's a much older game where the mechanics are like second nature to many players, and that not every pug I've been in has gone well, but designing a game in that mould and not even making those tools optional seems incredibly bizarre to me.

I mean there are entire third party sites dedicated to Destiny matchmaking aren't there? The demand and supply appears to exist; it's just not in game.

Sorry, I don't mean to relitigate what I imagine is a very old argument in the Destiny community, I just find it strange this kind of content doesn't have that function.

The raid and all the pretty gear actually makes me want to play Destiny past the beta over a year ago. Come to pc please ;-;

Imagine it's not on the PC because people would circumvent their loot drop bullshit which would destroy the game's drip feeding.

tuxfool

Banned
I mean there are entire third party sites dedicated to Destiny matchmaking aren't there? The demand and supply appears to exist; it's just not in game.

I suspect that Bungie just doesn't want the responsibility for dealing with the social elements of the game.

tchocky

Ok, but like, you all know they do stuff they want to do right? Maybe they don't feel like doing those particular shows these days.

Sure and I don't have a problem with this stream but Jeff did say on his tumblr that he has been busy but he wanted to get back to the regular Wednesday streams next week, that was on September 10th.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Yet WoW has tackled this problem by making the raid encounters done by the randoms more forgiving than the ones done by preassigned parties. The solution Blizzard made works, I have no idea why Bungie didn't just steal it. You can scale the loot up and down because it's just numbers. Make the premade groups get numbers slightly higher (just a bit) and it all works out.

Sure and I don't have a problem with this stream but Jeff did say on his tumblr that he has been busy but he wanted to get back to the regular Wednesday streams next week, that was on September 10th.

And how many times has he also said "we like to keep things flexible" to let them do what they want, also on his Tumblr?

Man, that Oryx wipes if anyone's not 100% on him, that's just shitty.

maped

Neo Member
This bossfight reminds me of EDF fights, ie half the time the screen is just filled with bright colours and you have no idea what's going on and you just keep shooting. That part I kinda like.

AcridMeat

Banned
This bossfight reminds me of EDF fights, ie half the time the screen is just filled with bright colours and you have no idea what's going on and you just keep shooting. That part I kinda like.
No one is chanting EDF though. Man, Starship Troopers is a great movie I need to watch that again.

I feel like when they're done Jeff will feel a sense of accomplishment and be content that he has seen the content that he wants to see from this expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom