• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

killroy87

"I'm so glad this Shooty Skies game isn't on Android, and I don't have to associate myself with it. I still haven't fallen into mobile gaming, I'd rather just read a book on my Kindle."

God bless you Rorie, but don't be such a dink

Bacon

"I'm so glad this Shooty Skies game isn't on Android, and I don't have to associate myself with it. I still haven't fallen into mobile gaming, I'd rather just read a book on my Kindle."

Is this a real quote? He's like a gaffer in real life

A regular group would help but meh. The end game while improved is still kinda bad in Destiny.

I am now waiting for MGO to drop because that looks fun. Also have high hope for Star Wars Battlefront after the 2 different demos I got to play at Gamescom. Both the coop and the X-Wing vs Tie mode were really fun.

I don't think that the end game in Destiny is ever going to be great, as long as they keep following an MMO template for their progression then you're going to hit a point where you've seen all the content and need to wait for the next expansion. I would like if Destiny 2 started to turn the game into something more like DIablo than WOW, but I don't think that's feasible or even what Bungie want's to do.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
80e4ea8af2c8933412af60e68a6c4965.png

I don't see a problem with reading over playing a mobile game.

killroy87

I don't see a problem with reading over playing a mobile game.

He can enjoy whatever he wants. The tone just seemed a bit holier than though (imo). When you're on a gaming show, talking about games, surrounded by four guys who are all into it, why would you even say that?

It's like going to a beer festival and saying "this is good, but I still prefer an old fashioned"

Not a big deal by any means, just made me roll my eyes.

Was he the guy who runs a blog that constantly hates on Star Citizen, the owners of which then sent him a letter with the legal equivalent of a bitch slap?

yes. apparently it's a grudge he's had against chris roberts since the original star commander games came out. i think he might be a legitimate crazy person.

also, the new camera angle on upf feels like a early MTV "BEHIND THE SCENES CHECK OUT OUR SET LIGHTING" shot.

Myggen

It's a simple mobile game, tone was perfect for that situation as Brad threatened another agar.io situation.

Give the man credit where credit's due, he kept that segment short. He kept that UPF moving way better than the couple of previous UPFs he's hosted.

Was he the guy who runs a blog that constantly hates on Star Citizen, the owners of which then sent him a letter with the legal equivalent of a bitch slap?

Derek Smart has been crazy on the internet for as long as the internet has existed. Look him up, there's some entertaining stuff out there.

justjim89

New favorite Austin moment: his realization on the Beastcast that the house always wins even in regards to the Deus Ex pre-order nonsense.

Give the man credit where credit's due, he kept that segment short. He kept that UPF moving way better than the couple of previous UPFs he's hosted.

Derek Smart has been crazy on the internet for as long as the internet has existed. Look him up, there's some entertaining stuff out there.

Derek Smart is your #1 source for hubris shitty games and cringe. Ask for him by name!

My Giant Bomb Vintage t-shirt came and I'm really impressed with it. It's incredibly comfortable and fits really well. The design is really nice and low key too. I've never bought a shirt from them (all of the previous designs have been a little too 90s amusement park for what I usually wear) but I'm really happy with it!

Agreed. Received the grey/red combo and I really like it.

Anjin M

I picked up The Witcher 3 (PS4) for $40. The game is as great as everyone says. I can see myself eventually getting sick of hunting down all of the map marks, but has been fun so far.

I recently got into giant bomb. Can anyone explain me their structure ? Like Austin, Alex and Vinny are in NY and Jeff, Brad, Dan and co. in San Francisco.

And then there is the 8-4 podcast with people I don't know at all :S

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
8-4 is just hosted on the site, not a part of it. They are a localisation studio in Japan. Back in the day they hosted their podcast on 1up.com and when that site closed, Patrick brought them to GB. (As far as I can remember)

tuxfool

Banned
I picked up The Witcher 3 (PS4) for $40. The game is as great as everyone says. I can see myself eventually getting sick of hunting down all of the map marks, but has been fun so far.

Then don't. The game is extremely long even just staying on the story content. Just do the POIs as detours between your other objectives.

erawsd

Dont hunt them down, just do them as you stumble across them while exploring the world. in fact, just filter off all those icons from the map.

Shooty Skies seems like a game that's good for people who aren't into shmups.

Which, by very nature, means that people who are into shmups will probably hate it.

Shooty Skies seems like a game that's good for people who aren't into shmups.

Which, by very nature, means that people who are into shmups will probably hate it.

It's ruined by your thumb being in the way of where your character is, a huge problem for shmups.

Which is a shame because I really like their art style for their games.

oti

Banned

I kinda get what he's saying but he's saying it in the worst way possible.

I'd rather read a book too though.

I just took one look at it and my face twisted in disgust.

hey, you probably like Touhou, what with the shmup snootery and the anime avatar

so what is it about Touhou that gives it a complete lack of middle ground of enthusiasm that makes the average fan way too into it

nobody's ever just "yeah they're decent games," they're always Shmuppy McTouhouAvatar at the very least or some other nutty shit at the worst

it's the anime, isn't it

no disrespect, but also I'm kind of serious about my question

popo

Rorie, with his "I would rather read a book" stance balances out Dan's "Subtitles? Reading is for dummies" attitude.

I think they're backing up Derek Smart in his battle against Star Citizen. That's about as far as I care to dig into it.

This, but what the current deal is that one of their writers wrote poorly sourced, unverified smear piece about the work environment at Roberts' companies. Investigation implicates that these "sources" were actually anonymous and highly suspicious posts on glassdoor. Escapist doubles down and says their sources may have posted those posts (which were pretty much verbatim the quotes in the article) after talking to their reporter on the phone.

Roberts fires back against Escapist and Smart, internet detectives make the Escapist look stupid, etc

The real kicker? The writer is a self-proclaimed GG supporter, doing pretty much the exact opposite of having ethics in game journalism.

demidar

hey, you probably like Touhou, what with the shmup snootery and the anime avatar

so what is it about Touhou that gives it a complete lack of middle ground of enthusiasm that makes the average fan way too into it

nobody's ever just "yeah they're decent games," they're always Shmuppy McTouhouAvatar at the very least or some other nutty shit at the worst

it's the anime, isn't it

no disrespect, but also I'm kind of serious about my question

The obstacle to get the games is relatively high, what with no digital distribution, no official English translation and high cost to import (even without importing, the games themselves are pretty pricey). So anyone who clears that is probably dedicated.

It's kind of like asking why everyone who plays Dwarf Fortress is crazy. :p

As for why I love it, the characters, the music, established world and lore and the story (yes, the story in a shmup). And the games aren't bad either. It's also propagated so much because the creator heavily encourages fanwork, and that sort of feeds into itself and everyone becomes increasingly rabid. It's gotten so big lately that people have been creating fan-anime of it in their spare time. This level of craziness has been building up for a decade and a half after all.

I hope no one took my previous comment seriously >_>

The obstacle to get the games is relatively high, what with no digital distribution, no official English translation and high cost to import (even without importing, the games themselves are pretty pricey). So anyone who clears that is probably dedicated.

As for why I love it, the characters, the music, established world and lore and the story (yes, the story in a shmup). And the games aren't bad either. It's also propagated so much because the creator heavily encourages fanwork, and that sort of feeds into itself and everyone becomes increasingly rabid. It's gotten so big lately that people have been creating fan-anime of it in their spare time. This level of craziness has been building up for a decade and a half after all.

I hope no one took my previous comment seriously >_>

if you had to ballpark it, how many fans do you think jack it to the characters

because from an outsider's perspective I'd guess 80% but I'm curious what someone more knowledgeable would estimate

legit scared that it's higher

tuxfool

Banned
This, but what the current deal is that one of their writers wrote poorly sourced, unverified smear piece about the work environment at Roberts' companies. Investigation implicates that these "sources" were actually anonymous and highly suspicious posts on glassdoor. Escapist doubles down and says their sources may have posted those posts (which were pretty much verbatim the quotes in the article) after talking to their reporter on the phone.

Roberts fires back against Escapist and Smart, internet detectives make the Escapist look stupid, etc

The real kicker? The writer is a self-proclaimed GG supporter, doing pretty much the exact opposite of having ethics in game journalism.

That wasn't the worst part. Poor work environment isn't particularly unusual as complaints go in games development. However, what was alleged was even worse. They claimed racist hiring practices and brazen embezzlement is occurring in the company.

The writer was previously perfectly happy to publish Smarts ravings as cogent opinion and has maintained contact with the loon on twitter. At the same time Smart has been ingratiating himself with GGers.

daydream

Banned
kinda greedy, asking for sequels when you probably haven't played the one that already exists

but yeah, that game's dope and is one of like three shmups I actually have experience with, the other two being raptor and the SEGA CD version of lords of thunder

oh, i actually have played it, just a really long time ago

also, it's been 25 years since that.

arcade + capcom must be in the top 5 platform + dev combo btw, they were doing work back then, just a godly output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom