• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad's Best of 2014 list is so nuts in retrospect. There's an early access version of a 2015 game, a next-gen port of a 2013 game, a prologue to a 2015 game, an actual for-real 2013 game, and Destiny.

I mean I don't blame him cause fuck 2014 in general, but man.

This, but what the current deal is that one of their writers wrote poorly sourced, unverified smear piece about the work environment at Roberts' companies. Investigation implicates that these "sources" were actually anonymous and highly suspicious posts on glassdoor. Escapist doubles down and says their sources may have posted those posts (which were pretty much verbatim the quotes in the article) after talking to their reporter on the phone.

Roberts fires back against Escapist and Smart, internet detectives make the Escapist look stupid, etc

The real kicker? The writer is a self-proclaimed GG supporter, doing pretty much the exact opposite of having ethics in game journalism.

you don't say!

oh yeah! that game! they should do a mario party party spinoff for this.

SomberOwl

Does anyone know what the core gameplay loop and hook of No Man's Sky is yet? I feel like there's so many unanswered questions for a game that's been making appearances all over the place and now on the Late Show. Besides just going around the galaxy and exploring what else is there? To me it seems like Minecraft without the crafting and building. Is there crafting and building? Resource gathering? There's some sort of currency apparently. What do you spend it on? Where do you spend it? Have they shown the character models? Is there character customization? Do you level up?

Man whats the deal with this thing. It looks slick as heck though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You do build up your ship and you gather materials. I think they gave pretty specific answers to what you'll be doing but people expect more, I guess. Some are getting a little nervous/annoyed that they show off the same stuff for over a year now.

Does anyone know what the core gameplay loop and hook of No Man's Sky is yet? I feel like there's so many unanswered questions for a game that's been making appearances all over the place and now on the Late Show. Besides just going around the galaxy and exploring what else is there? To me it seems like Minecraft without the crafting and building. Is there crafting and building? Resource gathering? There's some sort of currency apparently. What do you spend it on? Where do you spend it? Have they shown the character models? Is there character customization? Do you level up?

I feel like it is going to have a big crafting/unlock screen where you upgrade and purchase items based on the material you find and extract. Maybe an XP system where you have to hit a specific number to get access to some unlocks. New guns, new ships, engines, boosters, warpdrives, a bunch of new things you need to play for hours and hours to have enough stuff to unlock. Kinda like the upgrade system in MGSV. I would be down to play something with that loop.

strafer

2787516-mgsv05.jpg

Xater

Almost everything you just asked has answers. Maybe read some articles instead of just watching the demos that are supposed to mostly just look pretty to sell the game?

f0rk

Almost everything you just asked has answers. Maybe read some articles instead of just watching the demos that are supposed to mostly just look pretty to sell the game?

As if they couldn't make a video explaining it. It's 2015 and video games are a visual medium, coverage has completely moved on from written articles. I mean we're in the Giant Bomb thread lol.

The PR for No Man's Sky has been so mishandled, they announced like 2 years before they should have but seem in a constant state of announce about having to explain the game.

tuxfool

Banned
As if they couldn't make a video explaining it. It's 2015 and video games are a visual medium, coverage has completely moved on from written articles. I mean we're in the Giant Bomb thread lol.

The PR for No Man's Sky has been so mishandled, they announced like 2 years before they should have but seem in a constant state of announce about having to explain the game.

I suggest you go see the IGN demos. There are plenty of videos showing the gameplay loop. Just because you failed to find things others have doesn't make the PR mishandled.

Bacon

I suggest you go see the IGN demos. There are plenty of videos showing the gameplay loop. Just because you failed to find things others have doesn't make the PR mishandled.

It's enough a widespread issue even on gaf which is a group of the most dedicated fans of the medium that i would say that the pr has in fact been mismanaged

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I have actually seen that stuff and couldn't tell you anything more specific than what I did a few posts earlier. You gather and craft stuff, there is janky looking first person gameplay and you're trying to get to the center of the galaxy.

But there is an objective in Minecraft....

It's not on my screeeeen O;

~~~~

But seriously, NMS is just about exploring in a sandbox. You want gameplay? You play it like you would play Minecraft or something, there's no objectives or anything. And like Minecraft, there is an end goal-Get to the middle of the universe.

Haunted

Is there crafting and building?
Yes and yes, but not to the freeform extent in Minecraft. Think of it like blueprints where you fulfill requirements to build the next thing/tier. Like developments in MGSV. You gather the necessary materials, pay the money and get the new thing. (but hopefully without real time timers lol)

Resource gathering?
Yes.

There's some sort of currency apparently. What do you spend it on?
Better tools, better engine for your ship, new ships.

Have they shown the character models?
No and I bet they won't until release (or ever?), it might be nothing or it might be a revelation that is only shown when a player encounters another player (or someone uncouples the camera in the PC version :p)

Is there character customization?
Not that I'm aware of. This might be a whole important thing for the lore of the game, or it might be nothing, something unimportant they're not really thinking about - like default Steve in Minecraft.

Do you level up?
Like Monster Hunter, character progression is tied to the level of equipment you have, your character itself does not get get stronger or anything like that afaik.

tuxfool

Banned
It's enough a widespread issue even on gaf which is a group of the most dedicated fans of the medium that i would say that the pr has in fact been mismanaged

I'm not sure what people expect from a small team. For all the support they're supposedly receiving from Sony, it only seems to extend to events, at least so far. They may ramp up their Ubisoft style checkbox videos closer to release.

Haunted

I think there's a very clear divide between

1) the developers, who want to keep a sense of mystery, mystique and exploration about what they're building and spark a sense of imagination and wonder in their audience

2) marketing, who wants them to open up and tell everything to everyone to get people excited according to a standard marketing campaign

3) the general videogaming public who are used to getting told everything about everything

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Raw is on cable. first time watching wrestling in like 15 years. The bellas are on the mic

good god this is awful

It's amazing how the WWE, a company more reliant than any on suspension of disbelief, continues to find people who can't convincingly pull off "is a human being" when given a microphone. Check out Eva Marie some time. Japan's made great advancements in making lifeless robots with the body of a supermodel.

Corporate Kane was being evaluated in front of a live audience then Seth Rollins came out and put a clipshow on of edited video showing acts of terror committed by Kane. This has to affect his evaluation, right?

Dave hasn't really ever been a big part of the extra life stuff though. An hour last year, but that's about it.

Well yeah that's kinda what I was referencing, I'm hoping at least one of them shows up for it.

I need Alexis to show up to say "retarded" and make everyone feel uncomfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom