• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't have anything bad to say about it. My only real complaint is that it sometimes runs like shit on PS4 (Would it have run better on a 560Ti though?)

Anyways, SOMA maybe not being on my GOTY list says more about the amount of amazing games that came out this year. SOMA is solid. I'm not thinking about it much after the fact though, whereas I couldn't stop thinking about Bioshock Infinite's story after I finished that game.

Ah, ok. I have not been able to stop thinking about SOMA, and I was the same way with Infinite.

demidar

This weeks bombcast should be a good one.

Can't wait for Jeff's Hot Take on The Taken King and how it was so bad it made him sick.

TBH, the talk on last week's pod about Destiny and its secret quests made me sort of want to play it. There's just not enough deep secrets in games nowadays that aren't just Easter Eggs, until eventually they get documented and archived on a Gamepedia.

Xater

I really don't have anything bad to say about it. My only real complaint is that it sometimes runs like shit on PS4 (Would it have run better on a 560Ti though?)

Anyways, SOMA maybe not being on my GOTY list says more about the amount of amazing games that came out this year. SOMA is solid. I'm not thinking about it much after the fact though, whereas I couldn't stop thinking about Bioshock Infinite's story after I finished that game.

I am thinking about it a lot, but I also went from SOMA to Talos Principle which is thematically very similar.

We're never going to get a good skateboarding or pro wrestling game ever again.

That is a very depressing thought. Thanks Data West.

why did you just list a bunch of terrible games

ill give you one of the Aki games (personally, i grew up with WCW NWO Revenge and they're practically the same game over and over) and maybe All Stars though i haven't played it. the rest seem like they were made by bad people

I'd argue that the first 3 tony hawk games are better than all of those because they transcend being goofy skateboarding games and were actually just really good games that happened to be about skateboarding

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
why did you just list a bunch of terrible games

ill give you one of the Aki games (personally, i grew up with WCW NWO Revenge) and maybe All Stars though i haven't played it. the rest seem like they were made by bad people

I'd argue that the first 3 tony hawk games are better than all of those because they transcend being goofy skateboarding games and were actually just really good games that happened to be about skateboarding

lol the King of Colosseum and Fire Pro games are way better than the overrated Aki games though

justjim89

This has been a really great year for games.

Witcher 3
MGSV
SOMA
Her Story
Rocket League
Pillars of Eternity

And that's just among stuff I've played. Still need to check out Undertale and Beginner's Guide, and Fallout 4 is out next month.

lol the King of Colosseum and Fire Pro games are way better than the overrated Aki games though

yeah but who even played those? we got like one fire pro on the PS2 and then that crappy one that was with the xbox 360 avatars.

also, does fire pro qualify as an isometric action game?

and i dont know what a king of colosseum is, i only know the king of the ring and that sucked. Do they still do those PPVs?

People who knew their shit and imported them?

then it loses because no one had to import a good skateboarding game due to a lack of demand

We also got the GBA Fire Pro, only reason I bought that system.

i never owned a GBA so i guess that's alright

i though people only played Fire Pro to make their favorite wrestlers in the character creator and then play a bad wrestling game with them

demidar

Witcher 3
MGSV
SOMA
Her Story
Rocket League
Pillars of Eternity

And that's just among stuff I've played. Still need to check out Undertale and Beginner's Guide, and Fallout 4 is out next month.

Pillars of Eternity came out this year??

Feels like it came out last year.

Witcher 3
MGSV
SOMA
Her Story
Rocket League
Pillars of Eternity

Definitely, it's a real change from how weak last year was.

chekhonte

Man, I love these guys I get worried that the main guys don't have too many years left in them before they quit to become consultants or something like that.

DamnBoxes

I am thinking about it a lot, but I also went from SOMA to Talos Principle which is thematically very similar.

That is a very depressing thought. Thanks Data West.

Ah, ok. I have not been able to stop thinking about SOMA, and I was the same way with Infinite.

SOMA did better:

The way the story is wrapped up.

Bioshock Infinite did better:

Everything else

#MyTwoCents of course.

Xater

yeah but who even played those? we got like one fire pro on the PS2 and then that crappy one that was with the xbox 360 avatars.

also, does fire pro qualify as an isometric action game?

and i dont know what a king of colosseum is, i only know the king of the ring and that sucked. Do they still do those PPVs?

then it loses because no one had to import a good skateboarding game due to a lack of demand

i never owned a GBA so i guess that's alright

i though people only played Fire Pro to make their favorite wrestlers in the character creator and then play a bad wrestling game with them

Arbitrary bullshit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
they should just do an Aki wrestling HD collection.

I have no idea why WWE doesn't put out a downloadable DLC heavy No Mercy style game with the current roster or the legends that are under legends contract.

but then I realized they would probably get Yukes to try to make an Aki style game instead of getting Aki and it would lead to a THPS5 situation

I have no idea why WWE doesn't put out a downloadable DLC heavy No Mercy style game with the current roster or the legends that are under legends contract.

but then I realized they would probably get Yukes to try to make an Aki style game instead of getting Aki and it would lead to a THPS5 situation

they could just rerelease No Mercy or 2000 with all wrestlers replaced by CaW jobbers and leave everything else the same and I'd still be over the moon

Joeku

The only way a wrestling game would be good would be if Telltale (or Dontnod at this point) got the Lucha Underground license. Or CyberConnect2 made a WWE game in the vein of Asura's Wrath, Unreal Engine 3 anime sculpture art and all. Or WWE and 2K worked with Koei Tecmo and made a game with the Hyrule Warriors treatment. Or if that NetherRealm game was actually a full-ass fighting game.

I just want a game that breaks kayfabe.

Teddified

For some reason I've always found story to be just as important as gameplay to me. I dunno if it's just because of the games I grew up playing. But I'm less inclined to play a game with good game play if I'm not interested in the story or turned off by it. I've felt this way about MGSV recently.

It's hard for me to describe what I prioritize and like about games stories.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I care as much about the story as the game wants me to. Which generally just means that when I'm sitting through 30+ minutes of badly written cut scene/walking slowly while exposition happens bullshit I'm not too likely to enjoy the game on whole, and may actually come away thinking this is one of the worst fucking games of all time what lunatics voted for this to be game of the year multiple times, stop writing games you hack Kojima.

Hypothetically of course.

But if you want to let the gameplay stand on its own and don't make a terrible story get in the way of that gameplay then I'm on board for the ride. I don't need anything more than a vague concept of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Patryn

I care as much about the story as the game wants me to. Which generally just means that when I'm sitting through 30+ minutes of badly written cut scene/walking slowly while exposition happens bullshit I'm not too likely to enjoy the game on whole, and may actually come away thinking this is one of the worst fucking games of all time what lunatics voted for this to be game of the year multiple times, stop writing games you hack Kojima.

But if you want to let the gameplay stand on its own and don't make a terrible story get in the way of that gameplay then I'm on board for the ride. I don't need anything more than a vague concept of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

So you're saying that Destiny is your favorite game ever. Got it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Shooting things (particularly from the first person perspective) as a core mechanic has never made for a compelling or satisfying gameplay loop. That's a minor problem that stands between me and enjoyment of almost any FPS. All I can say about Destiny is that it's mindnumbingly boring to even hear people talk about the game, so I can assume the game itself isn't very interesting.

Joeku

But if you want to let the gameplay stand on its own and don't make a terrible story get in the way of that gameplay then I'm on board for the ride.

I'm pretty much with you. It's about games setting expectations and targeting goals and reaching them or not. If I go into a game knowing that they know the story they're telling is meaningless/important to the whole thing, I'll know to ignore/examine it.

This is why while Metal Gear Rising takes itself far less seriously than Solid games, it is more successful as a Metal Gear game than the last few. It knows exactly when to give a shit and when not to.

In Destiny Bungie kept their weird hero worship aspect of storytelling without having an identifiable singular hero to worship or meaningful things this hero overcame. This made the whole thing feel severely unearned and flat (and I'm not even considering how shitloads of the story was clearly stripped and warped from what it would have been).

I'm literally one mission into Taken King and they've already made steps into giving characters character and establishing conflict therein while setting up a big bad that I am curious to learn more about and take down. It's like they remembered what an adventure story is.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man that hero Battlefront stuff looks rough.

Wow, a shitty EA nostalgia cash in with a hard release deadline ended up looking shitty? The whole world has turned upside down. This is almost as surprising as the Arkham Knight season pass being awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom