• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchocky

For those trying to keep clear of all MGS spoilers no matter how minor may want to avoid Cara Ellisons twitter, it involves Quiets outfit.

Xater

For those trying to keep clear of all MGS spoilers no matter how minor may want to avoid Cara Ellisons twitter, it involves Quiets outfit.

Good thing I no longer follow her then. I also expect it to be super dumb and might be worth discussing, but maybe after the game is out and people actually played it? Seems kinda shitty to just spout it out on Twitter.

DamnBoxes

Good thing I no longer follow her then. I also expect it to be super dumb and might be worth discussing, but maybe after the game is out and people actually played it? Seems kinda shitty to just spout it out on Twitter.

For'real. IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE?

hamchan

I'm sure there's something incredibly stupid about Quiet's outfit but I would like to discover the stupidity myself thank you very much.

Is it really spoilery to say that Kojima is mildly sexist and can't write female characters for shit?

Can't write female characters

Has probably written better female characters than any other game developer
The Boss
Meryl
Sniper Wolf
Eva/Big Mama.(Bond trope, she's a spy. That's why she's sexy.)

Yeah, he can write pretty damn awesome female characters. Sexist? Different culture. Looking at another countries culture and how things are treated there through a western lense is ignorant in itself. So I'd have to say I disagree with your assertion.

tchocky

The Boss
Meryl
Sniper Wolf

Yeah, he can write pretty damn awesome female characters. Sexist? Different culture. Looking at another countries culture and how things are treated there through a western lense is ignorant in itself. So I'd have to say I disagree with your assertion.

When it comes to writing female characters Kojima doesn't come anywhere close to Ragnar Tørnquist.

Xater

The Boss
Meryl
Sniper Wolf

Except for The Boss none of these are particularly great characters, and no he is totally sexist.

Female characters in video games are quite terrible in general in video games and Kojima is certainly not exempt from that.

When it comes to writing female characters Kojima doesn't come anywhere close to Ragnar Tørnquist.

Never heard of him o_O

Except for The Boss none of these are particularly great characters, and no he is totally sexist.

Meryl is pretty damn great because she's a strong character who depends on herself. Eva/Big Mama goes from being a spy to growing in a boss/motherly role and being strong. Sniper Wolf don't give no shit about no advances from a nerd, and only cares about her wolves.

I'd say they're pretty great characters.

And sexist...yeah he likes the pretty ladies, but most females you meet in the game are strong and subvert tropes. Hell, the fact that one of MGS' main enemies are fully-suited Female soldiers called 'FROGS' is pretty damn progressive.(Which the notion of 'female enemies' was criticized because there was a lack of it before), in a way MGS4 was progressive with a strong group of mercenary females

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Agreed, except Sniper Wolf was kind of alright even if she was only alright through that dumb drawn out death scene. When he kills them off before he has a chance to be super fucking gross he can almost write a decent female character.

Xater

Agreed, except Sniper Wolf was kind of alright even if she was only alright through that dumb drawn out death scene. When he kills them off before he has a chance to be super fucking gross he can almost write a decent female character.

How pretty much all of these interactions with women also involve violence is weird as well.

hamchan

Kojima has managed to write the best female character in gaming, The Boss, and also trash characters like Naomi and the Beauty and the Beast squad. He's inconsistent.

tchocky

Yeah just like how pretty much all of the interactions with men involve violence too

Except Otacon, he's a pansy.

Oh yeah Mei Ling! Commander in the Navy.

But we are told it is because she had sex with a superior just like Meryl only got her position because of her father.

justjim89

at least Kojima manages to sexualize age appropriate characters unlike some developers

Except Paz, who is supposed to be a teenager but he spends the entire game sexualizing. Then he does the weak-ass twist that "Wait! She's actually an adult so it's ok to want to fuck her!"

That's abysmal writing. I love MGS, I love Kojima's work, but he's a fucking hack in so many respects. Especially in dealing with women.

Kojima has managed to write the best female character in gaming, The Boss, and also trash characters like Naomi and the Beauty and the Beast squad. He's inconsistent.

I think he genuinely wants to create strong female characters, but he's so caught up in their sexual side that he loses focus.

ultron87

I had to force myself to delete Time Clickers last night to remove that scourge from my life. The numbers were going up so fast!

Now that I'd have to start from scratch again I'll never go back.

Until Dawn looks fun.

A much better style of story for that format then the Metal Gear levels of stupid Quantic Dream can get up to.

If it wasnt released right next to MGSV I might have got it. Maybe during the holiday sales.

I was surprised to hear that the story in Until Dawn is completely dynamic, including who the killer is and other stuff that goes in it

It definitely looks great

I was surprised to hear that the story in Until Dawn is completely dynamic, including who the killer is and other stuff that goes in it

It definitely looks great

that's cool. I had Heavy Rain spoiled by some asshat, and it actually managed to ruin the game because knowing in advance who the killer was just made it all the more obvious how stupid the game was

Never heard of him o_O

Meryl is pretty damn great because she's a strong character who depends on herself. Eva/Big Mama goes from being a spy to growing in a boss/motherly role and being strong. Sniper Wolf don't give no shit about no advances from a nerd, and only cares about her wolves.

I'd say they're pretty great characters.

And sexist...yeah he likes the pretty ladies, but most females you meet in the game are strong and subvert tropes. Hell, the fact that one of MGS' main enemies are fully-suited Female soldiers called 'FROGS' is pretty damn progressive.(Which the notion of 'female enemies' was criticized because there was a lack of it before), in a way MGS4 was progressive with a strong group of mercenary females

I went through this before during the MGS4 Scanlon playthrough.

Not a single woman in MGS4 is done well. they are all either objectified or reliant on men to be successful. the three strongest women are, what, Meryl, Mei Ling, and Eva?

Meryl has daddy issues and falls in love with shitboy because she can't just be a tough woman, Mei Ling rose to prominence in the armed forces because someone high up really took a perverted liking to her and of course Kojima makes her ass hang in the air for like a minute for no reason, and Big Mama's unending love for a guy she once had sex with in the 60's was so stupidly strong that she was willing to give birth to his clones and throw her body on a rando flaming clone because she had to keep kafaybay or whatever marks call it.

and that's not getting into the constant boob and ass shots in MGS4. Nor does it answer the whole bra mystery regarding Naomi or just about all the mysteries regarding Naomi's bipolar nature in the game. but that's just another nickpick

Probably the only decently written female character he's done in MGS was Sniper Wolf because she didn't give a shit about any dudes except for Big Boss which i suppose is fine since everyone has a hard-on for BB in the MGS universe. She wasn't objectified and was decently developed in MGS1.

but cmon now, dude just fucking sucks at writing women.

So, in a post MGS4-constant raping of paz and vagina bomb world, well, i'm not going to be shocked when the Quiet wears whatever the fuck she wears because it reminds her to always be a sexy woman no matter the circumstances and that she only speaks in the game to declare her endless devotion to Punished Snake. because that's all kojima knows what to write when it comes to women in MGS anymore

Zaph

That's abysmal writing. I love MGS, I love Kojima's work, but he's a fucking hack in so many respects. Especially in dealing with women.

I've only jumped on board the MGS train in the last year, but I'm surprised this isn't the accepted consensus and it's still debated. MGS is outstanding trashy fun - trying to hold up his representations in any positive or considered light seems like a non-starter.

Rumor on Mei Lings part! And Meryl hates her dad because of it, and she constantly goes against his wishes.
I think every character you've named has been involved in a dumb pervy scene at least once. The Boss is great but a lot of Kojimas other female characters feel like walking excuses for Kojima to get his creep on.

I think Meryl is done great in MGS4, *shrug*. Sure the love story with Johnny is contrived, but it's still her taking control by making him marry her, and making her dad walk her down the aisle. And the game has always had butt shots. And crotch shots. And half-naked Raidens, half-naked Snakes, a sexualized male character in Vamp who is very suggestive in his fights, a cyborg ninja that wears heels.

He does more for equalizing the sexuality presented by men and females in the series than many other developers who just sexualize women.

Xater

I went through this before during the MGS4 Scanlon playthrough.

Not a single woman in MGS4 is done well. they are all either objectified or reliant on men to be successful. the three strongest women are, what, Meryl, Mei Ling, and Eva?

Meryl has daddy issues and falls in love with shitboy because she can't just be a tough woman, Mei Ling rose to prominence in the armed forces because someone high up really took a perverted liking to her and of course Kojima makes her ass hang in the air for like a minute for no reason, and Big Mama's unending love for a guy she once had sex with in the 60's was so stupidly strong that she was willing to give birth to his clones and throw her body on a rando flaming clone because she had to keep kafaybay or whatever marks call it.

and that's not getting into the constant boob and ass shots in MGS4. Nor does it answer the whole bra mystery regarding Naomi or just about all the mysteries regarding Naomi's bipolar nature in the game. but that's just another nickpick

Probably the only decently written female character he's done in MGS was Sniper Wolf because she didn't give a shit about any dudes except for Big Boss which i suppose is fine since everyone has a hard-on for BB in the MGS universe. She wasn't objectified and was decently developed in MGS1.

but cmon now, dude just fucking sucks at writing women.

So, in a post MGS4-constant raping of paz and vagina bomb world, well, i'm not going to be shocked when the Quiet wears whatever the fuck she wears because it reminds her to always be a sexy woman no matter the circumstances and that she only speaks in the game to declare her endless devotion to Punished Snake. because that's all kojima knows what to write when it comes to women in MGS anymore

And to add to that, pre-MGS4 she was a damsel in distress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom