• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
aww shit jeff knows about the whole story of MGSV. I hope that doesn't mean they're going to hint at shit during the podcast today because cmon now.

Rudds, brah, don't spoilers please i beg of you

aww shit jeff knows about the whole story of MGSV. I hope that doesn't mean they're going to hint at shit during the podcast today because cmon now.

Rudds, brah, don't spoilers please i beg of you

I am very much looking forward to that game but I'd be lying if I said there's not a part of me that regardless wants this to happen for the insane backlash.

Chuck

Still without luck
new alt f1 is up, but I still haven't watched the race and am kinda bleh about racing after another death

:/

TraBuch

Banned
I like Mary but this Until Dawn stream isn't for me. I can get over the not paying attention to the game half the time thing, but the constant waiting for chat to vote on decisions is getting a bit old.

Brashnir

I am very much looking forward to that game but I'd be lying if I said there's not a part of me that regardless wants this to happen for the insane backlash.

I feel that way about most spoilers.

On the one hand, I'm not a huge fan of being spoiled on something, on the other Spoiler Culture is the fucking worst, and it's worth being spoiled a little to see a bunch of people freak out.

I feel that way about most spoilers.

On the one hand, I'm not a huge fan of being spoiled on something, on the other Spoiler Culture is the fucking worst, and it's worth being spoiled a little to see a bunch of people freak out.

I would say people freaking out over getting spoiled over a game that hasn't been released yet to be pretty reasonable. And especially from the definitive last game in a series.

Huh. I didn't realize that. Did 10 come out at a busy time, or did just nobody care enough? 9 came out in September 2008, and they had just started doing Quick Looks.
March 2010 was a pretty busy month. Along with GDC, there was Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, and more. Probably didn't help that MM10 had a weird staggered release schedule (3/1 Wii, 3/11 PS3, 3/31 360).

Patryn

I feel like Dan and Drew would probably shut down any spoiler talk. I seem to recall that Drew does a nice job reigning Brad in, and I think Dan is pretty considerate of spoilers as well.

March 2010 was a pretty busy month. Along with GDC, there was Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, and more. Probably didn't help that MM10 had a weird staggered release schedule (3/1 Wii, 3/11 PS3, 3/31 360).

shit, i can't believe MM10 is +5 years old already. Seems like it came out yesterday

also, only Sony would launch Until Dawn and then slash the price of Beyond Two Souls to $6 on the same day.

Myggen

Really wish this was gears3. I would be so jazzed to see that at 60fps.

Yeah, same. But since the campaign here is 30, I'm not sure if we'd get Gears 3 at 60.

I fucking loved Gears 1 when it came out. But I have no desire to play this. Gears 1 was so influential, and especially Gears 3 was so much better than Gears 1 in every way, that Gears 1 has aged terribly for me (I tried playing it after I had played Gears 3). I might've been interested in it just from a technical standpoint, but when the campaign isn't even 60fps I lose all interest in that side of it. A remaster of Gears 1 only is bizarre to me, it really does almost feel like a tech demo now that you've played Gears 3. It's the same with Uncharted 1 for me.

tuxfool

Banned
Hey guys, I think I remember Vinny talking very recently about a website that allows team chat with microphone. Does anyone remember the name?

It's called Discord.

Yeah, as somebody said, it was Brad that mentioned it during the HOTS QL.

e: wow really late. I must have forgotten to refresh.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Brad casually spoiling a game casually while flippantly dismissing concerns? THE DEVIL YOU SAY.

"I know, I know, no spoilers for the new testament. But come on, the whole resurrection after death thing seems like a cop-out to keep open the chances for a sequel"

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Arkham Knight. Early game stuff, but there were annoyed people.

I don't know if I would've been super pissed if I'd had that spoiled for me, but I will say I am so, so glad I went into the game not knowing about the early game story twist, because it kind of blew my mind. It's an awesome reveal that sadly didn't last more than half a day past the game's launch.

Myggen

Arkham Knight. Early game stuff, but there were annoyed people.

The funny thing about that was that The Beastcast pretty much spoiled the exact same thing and no one seemed to care. That's so early game that it can't really be considered a major spoiler.

edit: What The Beastcast spoiled was the same easter egg Brad spoiled IIRC.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was glad to have it spoiled because if I were playing the game and found out, I'd most likely have said "Fuck this game" turned it off and never played it again. At least this way (and with the broken-ass PC port) I had some time to stop caring about how terrible that series has become and can just play it later with adjusted expectations.

But it's still a spoiler of a significant plot point that was made to be a surprise by both the marketing and the game itself. It doesn't have to be the end of the story to be a spoiler.

I cannot for the life of me remember what story thing he apparently spoiled, the only thing I remember people getting up in arms about was that Brad said there is a Lex Luthor easter egg.

When was the last time Brad spoiled something people care about? I honestly don't remember.

he spoiled the ending to Broken Age part 1 the week the second part launched and when the game launched on PSN for the first time. There were people on sony consoles who hadn't played it as it just came out there and then there were folks (like me) who were waiting for both parts to come out before playing the game.

Dude just went right into it, people were trying to stop him from doing so, and just spoiled what happens at the end of part 1 just because he couldnt contain himself, writing it all off as "it's already been out there for a year!" and shit like it was cool and stuff.

you can tell i was somewhat annoyed by that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I cannot for the life of me remember what story thing he apparently spoiled, the only thing I remember people getting up in arms about was that Brad said there is a Lex Luthor easter egg.

Spoiler tags because the game isn't out yet on PC:

It's just the Joker hallucination bullshit. He showed it off in the Quick Look immediately after saying there wouldn't be story spoilers, then on the podcast the week of release said "I assume everybody's already heard about it" and then continued to discuss it some more. There were people upset for reasons other than LEAVE THE FUCKING JOKER OUT OF A GAME FOR ONCE FOR FUCK'S SAKE

edit: Oh, right, Broken Age too. Forgot about that one. So aside from twice this summer, I guess it's been a while since Brad's fought to spoil a game while people tried to wrangle him in.

Myggen

Spoiler tags because the game isn't out yet on PC:

It's just the Joker hallucination bullshit. He showed it off in the Quick Look immediately after saying there wouldn't be story spoilers, then on the podcast the week of release said "I assume everybody's already heard about it" and then continued to discuss it some more. There were people upset for reasons other than LEAVE THE FUCKING JOKER OUT OF A GAME FOR ONCE FOR FUCK'S SAKE

That happens sooooo early in the game though, that's a minor, minor spoiler. If you're gonna show off the early parts of the game you're gonna get some of that stuff. The Broken Age stuff is worse though :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It sucks I guess, but if it's a game where I'm REALLY interested in the story or in all the features being tucked away, I just don't listen to people talk about the game.

I held off on listening to the bombcast multiple times because I was playing the 'hot game' of the week.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That happens sooooo early in the game though, that's a minor, minor spoiler. If you're gonna show off the early parts of the game you're gonna get some of that stuff. The Broken Age stuff is worse though :p

The Quick Look was pretty much unavoidable and you should stay away from video coverage if you want to avoid spoilers, I agree there. My problem (theoretical, at least, because seriously fuck that story all the way) was when he went in on the bombcast because everybody knew, which you could only assume if they watched the video or played the broken game during launch week. And he didn't even say anything interesting or discuss that issue itself, he just said it to say it. That's the worst part about his spoilers; they never lead to any meaningful discussion. If it's impossible to avoid that's fine, but he just throws it out there to have something to say.

The FFX HD quick look where Brad and Rorie spoil the entire plot of the game was a good one.

"but its a 10 years old game" is irrelevant. Loads of people use HD remasters to play games they might have missed out on. I know I have.

The FFX HD quick look where Brad and Rorie spoil the entire plot of the game was a good one.

"but its a 10 years old game" is irrelevant. Loads of people use HD remasters to play games they might have missed out on. I know I have.

Had to chuckle at that one. It was so pointless too, they were like 5 hours in and just decided to mention the end twist.

Brashnir

I would say people freaking out over getting spoiled over a game that hasn't been released yet to be pretty reasonable. And especially from the definitive last game in a series.

The level of freak-outs people have over tiny spoilers is never not ridiculous. I can see getting upset about big stuff, but people go insane over fucking nothing a lot of the time, and it gives me endless amusement.

That's not to say that I go out my my way to spoil things for my own amusement, mind you - but when something minor slips out somwhere and people go nuts, I cackle with glee.

That reminds me, pretty sure brad spoils one of (if not the) main villian of Final Fantasy Type 0 during that quick look. I haven't played the game yet (just got it on steam a week ago) but i remember wondering wtf as he was just dumping that info without anyone requesting it.

Myggen

If someone wants to be spoiled on a 10 years old story no one cares about, Jeff spoils the whole story of GoW 1 during the QL :p

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
That happens sooooo early in the game though, that's a minor, minor spoiler. If you're gonna show off the early parts of the game you're gonna get some of that stuff.

Hm, I disagree. I don't think how early it is has any real bearing on it. Fact is WB very deliberately avoided spoiling it in all of their marketing materials, and it's kind of a big twist. You can debate whether it's a good twist
(I thought so at the time, although it didn't live up to its potential, turning your protagonist, the Batman, into an unreliable narrator is kind of a fucking awesome concept that they mostly squandered.)

More broadly re: spoilers, when and how a piece of media decides to unfold its story is part of its totality just as much as any other part - pacing, direction, etc. Having a key part of the narrative that's contingent on it being a surprise to work get spoiled broadly is detrimental to the work. That's not to say I think much of stories that revolve mostly around SHOCKING TWISTS to work, but it's a valid choice, and certainly in AK's case, the reveal is arguably the best part about that particular plot element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom