• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Despite the shit Ingive Jeff for having bad taste, he is pretty spot on with his Gears Remaster review. That is what I expected from most outlets. How you can give the campaign from Gears 1 a 9 today is incomprehensible to me.

The funny thing about that was that The Beastcast pretty much spoiled the exact same thing and no one seemed to care. That's so early game that it can't really be considered a major spoiler.

edit: What The Beastcast spoiled was the same easter egg Brad spoiled IIRC.

I can't remember Brad ever spoiling something that was actually significant.

Myggen

vCz1GSE.png

And Patick didn't even get the first comment under the GoW review. For shame.

OUCH at that review.

I disliked the (original) game from day one, so a little smirk at Jeff on Mixlr yesterday and his Twitter post linking the review might have occurred but...damn.

[EDIT -
Nobody puts as much into remaster visuals as Microsoft and I sure appreciate it. It's really nice seeing this game again.

I guess that guy in the official thread hasn't played The Last Of Us.]

Can't say I agree with Jeff on this one. Even if the campaign feels aged (I haved tried it out in years do I don't know) the multiplayer holds up/aged really well imo.

But, Jeff doesn't like Gears multiplayer at all so a 2 from him makes sense.

That makes sense. If you like Gears multiplayer its probably a 3 or maybe even a 4 for you (even though there's no horde mode), but other than that there's really nothing here for you other than a better looking campaign that's the exact same thing.

People are inevitably gonna make the comparison between Gears and GoW's remastered score which is kind of lame because Dan is really the only one who liked it and was the one to review it. Judging from the bombcast, anyone else probably would have given it a 2 or a 3, though it probably holds up better than Gears 1.

The only tempting thing for me about getting the Gears remaster is having access to 2 and 3 via backwards compatibility, but I also own them on disc so it's probably not worth it. Shame, I was looking forward to playing some Gears. I don't really remember 1 all that well anyways.

Myggen

I wonder how the reception of Uncharted 1 will be now with the re-release of those games. That game suffers from many of the same problems in that the two next games (especially Uncharted 2) took what it did and just did it so, so much better.

I wonder how the reception of Uncharted 1 will be now with the re-release of those games. That game suffers from many of the same problems in that the two next games (especially Uncharted 2) took what it did and just did it so, so much better.

Uncharted will benefit from only being 1 of 3 titles being remastered in that package.

I am sure 1 will still stand out as being the worst of the package but at least with Uncharted they are porting 2 and 3 over too. I think the Gears package would have been way better if they'd given Gears 2 and 3 the 1080/60 treatment along with the 1 remaster.

Edit: I am super curious to play Uncharted 1 as I've actually never even touched it, hell I've hardly seen it. Will be interesting to go back after really liking 2 and 3.

Apparently they are giving the Uncharted games a bit of a rebalancing in the HD collection so that will be interesting to see.

Uncharted 3 needs it bad. They went overboard tossing armoured enamies and grenade launcher guys in a few spots.

Have never actually returned to U1 since 2 but I am curious how much they do but Uncharted 1 had a few too many "stand here and fight off 3 waves of bad guys" sections they could iron out

The benefit there is that you're actually getting three remastered games instead of 1 so it won't stand out as much. Gears of War 1 is also far more important for the state of third person shooters than Uncharted 1 and as a result going back to something that influential is always going to be rough.

Oh sure, I'm not talking about the package itself, but just Uncharted 1. It will be interesting to see how people playing it for the first time reacts to it compared to 2.

Yeah, I played the first Uncharted again last year and felt it had aged pretty poorly.

Xater

they should have remastered at least Gears 1-3. At least then you also have the horde stuff and the later better campaigns.

jaina

I'm in a great situation. Played Uncharted 1 the first time earlier this year and will make the vast jump to Uncharted 2 PS4.

Xater

MCC probably scared MS to death.

I'd assume this was greenlit way before it was clear MCC would become a problem.

Also people realizing that Gears is almost ten years old it's funny to me. I think it's more of a testament to how fucking long last ten was. Way too long in my opinion. Very obvious with games like the Gears prequel and GoW Ascension. Those games had no business being ever a thing, but gotta pad out the gen some way!

Gears 1 was always my favorite campaign-wise.

You could blast through it in one sitting with a friend and it was quite a challenge on the hardest difficulty.

Short and efficient for what it was. Good times.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Gosh review threads are such fun to look at occasionally.

I don't know about that, once you've seen one meltdown thread you've seen them all. It is just sad. Play the games you want to play and if you want buying advice look for reviewers with similar tastes to your own. Don't invest your identity in the scores given to something you like.

Play the game.

Harpuia

I've forgotten where Brad's spoiler rep came from. What where the most heinous acts of crime has he committed against the internet?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
it's a she, and she's sabrina's aunt in a family of immortals who practice witchcraft

Was that the one who married into Billy Gunn's family?

dgbaNXb.gif

Sorry, requirement of the Giant Bomb thread. Saw a wrestling reference to be made, couldn't let it pass.

Can't say I've really cared for MGS's story out side of the goofy amusement factor, I'm just excited for the gameplay, I need a good stealth action game to tide me over until Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom