• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Madden look soooo bad? Does EA even care anymore?

15 was great. 16, sorry to EA, looks on the surface like Madden 15 2. Many people have said this before (it will never happen), but sports games should release paid roster updates every year (with new stadiums if need be), with minor tweaks to gameplay. Then every 3 or 4 years do major graphical overhauls, necessitating the player to finally buy a new disk.

repeater

I always hate that too. Jeff Green has always been the worst at it.
I disagree that there's anything bad about it in his case. More than half of the joy of watching Jeff Green stream games is hearing him telling anecdotes and joking around with the chat. He could do a solo podcast and I would happily listen to it. :) When he gets seriously invested in making progress in a game he'll usually stop focusing on chat, so I don't see what the harm is anyway.

Loxley

We live in Space Year 2015 and a negative review from Jeff still causes people to have aneurysms :lol

Such is the power of Gerstmann.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp guys.... I'm coming out of a super stressfull month because of life and work stuff so I decided on a whim that I should go see AC/DC next monday.... Tickets bought! Fuck yeah

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jeff's opinion on Gears Ultimate is wrong. ;)

I agree. It'd be one thing if it had trouble hitting 60FPS consistently, but if your decade old remaster can't even get a stable 30 you don't deserve two stars. One star is the official new score.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Let's think about it though, what really was good about the Gears 1 campaign?

I mean, this is probably a great game if you're into the MP, but Jeff isn't. It's really not a campaign worth replaying let a lone remastering.
And I fully agree with Jeff that it not being able to hit 60 (or stable 30 even) is pretty bad.

I agree. It'd be one thing if it had trouble hitting 60FPS consistently, but if your decade old remaster can't even get a stable 30 you don't deserve two stars. One star is the official new score.

I'm watching the quick look right now and everything looks too...smooth.

Not the framerate, obviously. But like, textures.

santeesioux

The whole Indian family thing in Beyond: Two Souls is Cage at his most clueless. David Cage's games almost crosses the "so bad it's good" line for me, but in the end I end up hating Cage's storytelling with a burning passion. Until Dawn seems the right kind of self-aware for a dumb slasher horror story.

I really need to play Life is Strange.

That was the funniest part of that game, I had a smile on my face the whole time.

I wonder who (if anyone) will review Until Dawn for Giant Bomb. Patrick would've been the go-to-guy for it. I kind of would like to see Jason review it, despite reviews not being his purview. He seems to understand the slasher genre through and through and probably would "get" it the most. All the tropes, all the trappings. Everything. If not him, then maybe Alex.

Im at the beginning of Act 4 in Gears and I have to agree, the game isnt great, especially in comparison to the later gears. The amount of on-screen content during fights is minimal (its missing those big set piece action moments) and has numerous campaign area's that are nothing but a struggle of annoying game play to get through (having to stay in light or die instantly to kril is so much fun).

When it comes to multiplayer, im getting trampled by shotgun runners. The player base there is at a level im not interested in getting to or have the time to

Myggen

Let's think about it though, what really was good about the Gears 1 campaign?

I mean, this is probably a great game if you're into the MP, but Jeff isn't. It's really not a campaign worth replaying let a lone remastering.
And I fully agree with Jeff that it not being able to hit 60 (or stable 30 even) is pretty bad.

The story was never very good, but the game was so visually stunning when it came out. The gameplay was in some ways revolutionary in the way it nailed the cover system to such a degree, which has been copied and improved upon ever since. As Brad mentioned, even the way the characters ran was super cool back then. It did so much of that kind of gameplay better than most games that came before.

That's also the reason why I agree that the game doesn't hold up very well. Because the sequels and other games have now done what GoW1 did and improved upon it immensely, the campaign kinda falls apart. But at the time it was something else.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wonder who (if anyone) will review Until Dawn for Giant Bomb. Patrick would've been the go-to-guy for it. I kind of would like to see Jason review it, despite reviews not being his purview. He seems to understand the slasher genre through and through and probably would "get" it the most. All the tropes, all the trappings. Everything. If not him, then maybe Alex.

Playing it now, I'd like to see Vindog play through with this. Alex is into shitty horror movies right?

The story was never very good, but the game was so visually stunning when it came out. The gameplay was in some ways revolutionary in the way it nailed the cover system to such a degree, which has been copied and improved upon ever since. As Brad mentioned, even the way the characters ran was super cool back then. It did so much of that kind of gameplay better than most games that came before.

That's also the reason why I agree that the game doesn't hold up very well. Because the sequels and other games have now done what GoW1 did and improved upon it immensely, the campaign kinda falls apart. But at the time it was something else.

Yeah a Gears 1 remaster was never going to hold up especially well, the game has kind of been left in the dust at this point. I actually think the Gears games in general have been left behind compared to other third person shooters and I think that the series needs to evolve a bit.

Myggen

Yeah a Gears 1 remaster was never going to hold up especially well, the game has kind of been left in the dust at this point. I actually think the Gears games in general have been left behind compared to other third person shooters and I think that the series need to evolve a bit.

I think it would be really interesting if GoW4 had more of a horror vibe to it. The Gears games have flirted with that before, and I think the universe would lend itself well to it.

Anyways, if ya'll want to see some salt over a GoW remaster review, look here: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-review/1900-6416223/

And I just noticed that Journey went from a 9.0 (2012) to a PERFECT 10 (2015)

This must be some type of sick, sick joke !!!!! This site has completely lost all of my respect !!!!!!! Go To Hell Gamespot

Bacon

I think it would be really interesting if GoW4 had more of a horror vibe to it. The Gears games have flirted with that before, and I think the universe would lend itself well to it.

Anyways, if ya'll want to see some salt over a GoW remaster review, look here: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-review/1900-6416223/

I think we're starting to have the nostalgia factor kick in for a new generation. I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who are up in arms about his game getting less than great reviews are the people who's first console was the 360 and their first big game on it was Gears. I'm thinking that is the only possible way people could get this salty over a couple GoW remaster reviews

The comments on the Until Dawn one are typical as well. Reviews for exclusive games always bring out the "warriors" in the comments.

Myggen

Uhh did Jason just say in this Until Dawn quick look that he has a kid older than 16? What the fuck.

He has a kid that's 21-22, talked about it on the latest Danswers. Got a kid when he was 15 or 16. Jason has lived quite the life, really interesting guy.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wow, how old is this guy? Might have to actually listen to an episode on danswers now.

Oh, you missed Dan's big news too then?

edit: I just now learned that closing emergence holes is not a prerequisite for continuing in Gears of War. I am pretty sure I made every effort to shut them before even bothering with killing an enemy when I played through that game. I thought they were infinite spawns if you didn't grenade them.

DamnBoxes

Good. They can finally replace it with an anime podcast.

Fucking FINALLY.

tumblr_mnnkl1hjsS1stpiy2o1_500.gif

Wow, how old is this guy? Might have to actually listen to an episode of danswers now.

38 (and unless he hasn't already had his birthday, he was born in 1977). He said when he was 16 he got his 13 year old girlfriend pregnant.

So that means: Jeff (1975), Jason (1977), Vinny (1978), both Brad and Matt (Rorie) (1979), Alex (1981), Dan (1984), Drew (1986).

Austin is the only mystery (I'll guess somewhere between Alex and Drew, skewing closer to Drew than Alex).

No_Style

I thought Jeff's Gears campaign opinions were a little harsh but he was right that it is too barebones to stand by itself. Totally agree that they could have treated better from a tech point of view though.

Also, I should get back to Polar Bear Cafe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom