• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

hm, i'm not sure. it ended with fighting a robot dog

unless the game vastly changes on a mechanical level after that section, i think it really ain't all that

nup. all smash and grab. the gameplay actually surprisingly is probably my least favourite part of mgr mainly because the camera is absolute RUBBISH and the game relies heavily on directional inputs, which can be a huge problem when the camera can't decide exactly where it wants to be and will swing around and around and around and fuck you over. it's okay though unless you're going for perfect no-touch runs.

but in terms of MG weirdness and hilariously overblown bullshit it is pretty damn top tier

the internet has made us forget that sensible people exist
In all honesty it sounds like your issues with the game are totally actual issues that it has. If the gameplay doesn't click there wont be much to keep you interested and even if it does click it starts to wear thin by the end.
oh yea, once you start unlocking the huge amount of moves and other boss weapons, it's pretty amazing.
A lot of that is kind of half baked though, for the most part the combat remains the same throughout.

Jintor

it has some limited dodge offset but for the most part the thing that can help you pour out the damage is blade mode canceling. that's about it

Just like Portable Ops it doesn't appear on the official timeline, so I have my doubts. Unless Kojima officially acknowledges it as canon it isn't.

Large chunks of PO are canon, and even referenced in PW and MGS4.

Also Kojima doesn't really get to say what's canon and what isn't as of December.

it has some limited dodge offset but for the most part the thing that can help you pour out the damage is blade mode canceling. that's about it

The game isn't about dodging and being defensive, it's about getting in there and getting shit done.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazywZDuj9I

it loses a bit outside of the game because certain parts of songs are triggered at certain parts of fights. the Monsoon fight in particular- once you get to a certain point in the fight, the lyrics kick in and it gets that much sillier

obviously some spoilers for that fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddVmAd_zE8

Eh.

Seeing that I'm recently obsessed with babymetal these do not seem sikk at all in comparison.

Babymetal makes everything lose its edge.

LiK

In all honesty it sounds like your issues with the game are totally actual issues that it has. If the gameplay doesn't click there wont be much to keep you interested and even if it does click it starts to wear thin by the end.

A lot of that is kind of half baked though, for the most part the combat remains the same throughout.

did you play the higher difficulties? it's intense!

did you play the higher difficulties? it's intense!
Yup, don't get me wrong I did enjoy my time with the game a whole lot and I'd put it in the top tier of Platinum games, but it's fairly basic in terms of mechanics. Though that obviously makes sense as it was made in like a year.

Jintor

Eh.

Seeing that I'm recently obsessed with babymetal these do not seem sikk at all in comparison.

Babymetal makes everything lose its edge.

it's not really about it's edge

it's about its edge as you do the cool guy thing and the lyrics kick in and you're like FUCK YEAH METAL GEAAAARRRRRR

LiK

Yup, don't get me wrong I did enjoy my time with the game a whole lot and I'd put it in the top tier of Platinum games, but it's fairly basic in terms of mechanics. Though that obviously makes sense as it was made in like a year.

oh yea, literally a year just to save it from death. Platinum so good.

KingKong

I have a theory that games like MGRR and Dark Souls 1/2 are super popular on forums and reddit because so many more people play on steam than consoles. Bayonetta 1 and 2 are much better than MGRR and Bloodborne is at least as good as Souls 1 but you're not hearing nearly as much about them

I think it's much more to do with Bayonetta moving to a Nintendo platform.

[EDIT - And I think Bloodborne got plenty of discussion. Certainly more than Dark Souls 2, I think.]

I have a theory that games like MGRR and Dark Souls 1/2 are super popular on forums and reddit because so many more people play on steam than consoles. Bayonetta 1 and 2 are much better than MGRR and Bloodborne is at least as good as Souls 1 but you're not hearing nearly as much about them
Bayo 2 and Bloodborne aren't talked about a lot because they are following up on ideas that came from previous games that had a wider audience due to being multiplatform.

I feel like I enjoyed the old GB Sports Team more - the QLs were more fun. At least they are informative now though!

I still want Danny to do a Football Manager QL with Dan/Jeff though.

tchocky

I feel like I enjoyed the old GB Sports Team more - the QLs were more fun. At least they are informative now though!

As someone who plays some sports games I like that the gbeast videos are more informative about the quality of the game and still get the dumb moments from Vinny ("it's a fake") .

tchocky

Danny O'Dwer and Game Informers Tim Turi are taking part in Paxamania. I wonder if they will be teaming with Dan to take revenge on Run GFB. Dan of course has already started the trashtalk.

Dan Ryckert ‏@DanRyckert

That dummy @timturi threw his hat in the ring? No problem...I don't fear anyone who gave Dead Space 3 a 9.75.

Tubobutts

I don't know. Part of it is probably that I actually wanted to know about about the new version of NBA 2K, but I was getting bored of the quick look just being; turn off the rules, Jeff picks a Michael Jordan Bulls team, Jeff complains it's not NBA Jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom