• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan will totally finish it.

Drew will get though it but will probably skip side stuff.

Jeff will play 2 hours of it and will say it didnt grab him.

Brad will at least get half way through it before getting distracted by something else and then never return to finish it despite enjoying his time with it.

Does Jason care about Metal Gear?

Brad will at least get half way through it before getting distracted by something else and then never return to finish it despite enjoying his time with it.

Jason was the third member of the metal gear scanlon crew and often gave tips when dan or drew didnt know what to do. he knows the games well, it seems.

Volotaire

Jason loves it! He knows the hidden secrets more than Dan. Remember the MGScanlon 1 and 2 episodes?

Tamanon

Banned
I think Jeff might end up loving this one the most, if only because the gameplay seems super solid, and the silly extravagantly long cutscenes are sparse.

The mission format seems like it would map perfectly for him.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think Jeff might end up loving this one the most, if only because the gameplay seems super solid, and the silly extravagantly long cutscenes are sparse.

I think you misunderstand what Jeff has loved about MGS for the history of the series.

LiK

The mission format seems like it would map perfectly for him.

I think so too unless the game makes him retry too much. Jeff's patience for trial and error games is kinda low, iirc

Bacon

Brad will play mgsV feverishly for about a week and will even go as far as to say that this may be the best game of the year, only to stop playing it abruptly and his impressions of the game will skew negative by the end of the year

Wouldn't this be the 7th game then, with Ground Zeroes?

naw, that was just Konami's version of early access for MGSV.

Brad will play mgsV feverishly for about a week and will even go as far as to say that this may be the best game of the year, only to stop playing it abruptly and his impressions of the game will skew negative by the end of the year

by the time october rolls around he'll declare it the second most broken game in the history of humanity, right next to the witcher 3.

I finally played some Ground Zeroes, my issue is I kept running out of ammo. Maybe my aim just sucks but i'd run out of sleeping pistol ammo after like 10 minutes and then the rest of the mission would be me trying to stealth kill as much as I could until I eventually had to fire my rifle and it became a massive firefight. I hope that ammo is more plentiful in 5. Enjoyed the game regardless.

LiK

I finally played some Ground Zeroes, my issue is I kept running out of ammo. Maybe my aim just sucks but i'd run out of sleeping pistol ammo after like 10 minutes and then the rest of the mission would be me trying to stealth kill as much as I could until I eventually had to fire my rifle and it became a massive firefight. I hope that ammo is more plentiful in 5. Enjoyed the game regardless.

"spit it out."

And then name DOTA 2 his game of the year.

TharpDaddy, try to remember the basics of CQC.

Lettuce

So just got up to metal gear scanlon 3......why the fuck is Drew SO bad at these games still!!!??. I would have thought he would have improved even a little bit but he seems just as clueless as he was in the very first episode of metal gear scanlon 1 wtf!.

So frustrating to watch!

PensOwl

Banned
Oh, seems i'm just bad then. I suck at stealth games so not surprising.

There is always tranq ammo near the gate inside the admin building.

There is sometimes tranq ammo inside the guard huts leading to the old prison area. Specifically for the main mission there is a box of tranq ammo inside the south entrance guard hut.

So just got up to metal gear scanlon 3......why the fuck is Drew SO bad at these games still!!!??. I would have thought he would have improved even a little bit but he seems just as clueless as he was in the very first episode of metal gear scanlon 1 wtf!.

So frustrating to watch!

the control schemes I assume.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

So frustrating to watch!

4 is far less frustrating. The controls allow him to play the way that he wants, which is not a particularly stealthy approach, but one which he enjoys. You can see in 4 Drew going from someone being obliged to play the games into a true MGS fanatic.

If you watched me play these games you'd be frustrated though and I'm way better than Drew at it (as it should be, I've played them more).

Oh, seems i'm just bad then. I suck at stealth games so not surprising.

For real though it's kind of an escalation type thing

toss magazines to lure guys to a secluded spot so you can just knock them out/interrogate them. If you can't, tranq 'em. If you're out of tranq ammo, shoot em. If your silencer runs out, you're in trouble, and you may just end up killing everyone on the base with a lot of loud shooting.

Edit: saw this on a youtube comment and I can't think of anything that more accurately describes it: "Dan is homer simpson and we're all frank grimes."

Lettuce

the control schemes I assume.

4 is far less frustrating. The controls allow him to play the way that he wants, which is not a particularly stealthy approach, but one which he enjoys. You can see in 4 Drew going from someone being obliged to play the games into a true MGS fanatic.

If you watched me play these games you'd be frustrated though and I'm way better than Drew at it (as it should be, I've played them more).

Its just not that, he just seems hell bent on trying to kill everyone rather than avoid them and sneak pass and goes out of his way to make things difficult...and then complains when he sets of alarms or dies!!!

Plus he never seems to remember the mechanics that Dan and Jason remind him about on numerous occasions

Its just not that, he just seems hell bent on trying to kill everyone rather than avoid them and sneak pass and goes out of his way to make things difficult...and then complains when he sets of alarms or dies!!!

Plus he never seems to remember the mechanics that Dan and Jason remind him about on numerous occasions

3 is real rough to the point where I never bothered to finish it but he did a good job in MGS4 and GZ, once the games get more modern control schemes it just seems to click for him.

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Drew's battle with The End in MGS3 is the highlight of the entire Metal Gear Scanlon series. You should watch 3 until at least that point.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

3 changes the game logic a lot. 1 and 2 are very similar in many ways but particularly in regards to how enemies work and how to best avoid them. 3 with its new camera (let's not forget it was not there at first) and open spaces where you could hide in 'plain' view operates very differently. Not to mention the idiosyncratic controls which offer great options (including a vertical lean!) but are very peculiar and change between each game.

Wunder

3 changes the game logic a lot. 1 and 2 are very similar in many ways but particularly in regards to how enemies work and how to best avoid them. 3 with its new camera (let's not forget it was not there at first) and open spaces where you could hide in 'plain' view operates very differently. Not to mention the idiosyncratic controls which offer great options (including a vertical lean!) but are very peculiar and change between each game.

The camo was so confusing too, I was with Drew in that I had no idea what the % meant until I read a comment here saying it was like the distance in which they see you or something? Why is it a % instead of another unit! I can see how Drew was confused and thought it was just a % chance of getting spotted at any distance, but there's potential to cause further confusion there too. :{

LiK

The camo was so confusing too, I was with Drew in that I had no idea what the % meant until I read a comment here saying it was like the distance in which they see you or something? Why is it a % instead of another unit! I can see how Drew was confused and thought it was just a % chance of getting spotted at any distance, but there's potential to cause further confusion there too. :{

Seemed pretty clear to me. I liked the camo system. It does make the game slow down quite a bit but I sorta enjoyed the ability to choose my look as well.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Watching Drew play MGS has given me such confidence in my own stealth abilities. I thought I was terrible at stealth games, but I also don't think I saw the war rage mode or whatever it was in MGS4 and I played through the first 2.5 acts of that game. He got into that state in the first episode of his playthrough if I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom