• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Watching Drew play MGS has given me such confidence in my own stealth abilities. I thought I was terrible at stealth games, but I also don't think I saw the war rage mode or whatever it was in MGS4 and I played through the first 2.5 acts of that game. He got into that state in the first episode of his playthrough if I remember.

I've never used grenades in MGS3. Drew really opened my eyes.

Lettuce

The camo was so confusing too, I was with Drew in that I had no idea what the % meant until I read a comment here saying it was like the distance in which they see you or something? Why is it a % instead of another unit! I can see how Drew was confused and thought it was just a % chance of getting spotted at any distance, but there's potential to cause further confusion there too. :{

The percentage meter for the camo was just that, if it was at 50% then there was a 50% chance that you would be spotted by enemies...what was hard to understand that?

The percentage meter for the camo was just that, if it was at 50% then there was a 50% chance that you would be spotted by enemies...what was hard to understand that?

It wasn't a chance percantile. It was a radius. So 50% is like, let's say 10 feet, if they are within 10 feet they'll see you. There are different modifiers such as hiding in grass and what not, but it wasn't never a coin flip on whether they saw you or not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My tolerance for stealth games at this point is 'If things go to shit, can I handle it?' and MGS and Splinter Cell were always the two that I said 'no'. I did finish MGS 3 and the first Splinter Cell, but I was a kid so it wasn't like I had work or other games to move onto. My patience was unlimited.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just assumed it was how hidden you were. If you're 95% hidden they'd have to be pretty close or looking at you intently to spot you.

Who am I to trust though, I played on the original camera and thought it was perfectly fine.

Lettuce

It wasn't a chance percantile. It was a radius. So 50% is like, let's say 10 feet, if they are within 10 feet they'll see you. There are different modifiers such as hiding in grass and what not, but it wasn't never a coin flip on whether they saw you or not.

Im sure it was a percentage of being spotted, so if the camo was at 80% then there was a 20% chance you would be spotted. I have instances where i was wearing the brick camo and crouched down next to a brick wall to achieve 95% camo and a guard inches away from me walked right past me

if the number is higher that means it's better

i really never needed the methodology of the mechanic explained to me to get it.

I also vastly prefer the ability to hide in a wide open area like in 3 than having to hide around corners and such like in 1. That's why I think I'll prefer TPP to GZ so much, because GZ has a lot of 1-type hiding where you're just peeking around a corner, whereas TPP seems a lot more open and 3-like in its stealth applications.

Phatmac

Jeff talking about Monster Musume made my day.
tumblr_nsb424Exzd1s941zco1_500.gif

Hey do any of my fellow Austin-based gaffers want to go to a movie on Monday at 4:40? It's my birthday and I have nobody to go with!

The movie is Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

Im sure it was a percentage of being spotted, so if the camo was at 80% then there was a 20% chance you would be spotted. So if the camo was 0% and standing still then you'd be spotted no matter what but if it was 50% then you had a 1 in 2 chance of not being noticed

It was pretty much distance related. IE the same guard could pass by and not see you at 50%, and he would never see you until he got closer. It's not a coin flip.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There isn't a random chance of being detected, it is a measure of how close the enemy has to be to spot you. The closer to 100% the closer they can get without seeing you. It is pretty obvious.

mattp

Seemed pretty clear to me. I liked the camo system. It does make the game slow down quite a bit but I sorta enjoyed the ability to choose my look as well.

if the camo and healing systems didnt require going into the pause menu, mgs3 would be fucking perfect

well, and, the healing stuff shouldnt require you to do all the steps. if you need 1 bandage + 1 ointment to heal a burn, it should just be a single click and consume both items

It was pretty much distance related. IE the same guard could pass by and not see you at 50%, and he would never see you until he got closer. It's not a coin flip.

There isn't a random chance of being detected, it is a measure of how close the enemy has to be to spot you. The closer to 100% the closer they can get without seeing you. It is pretty obvious.

Yeah I don't know why they got the idea it was "chance" based. 20% chance per what? Per second? It's very clear it's proximity.

Wunder

Yeah I don't know why they got the idea it was "chance" based. 20% chance per what? Per second? It's very clear it's proximity.

Well exactly - why put it at a % then? If its clearly a radius and makes perfect sense as that, why throw in the wrench of having it put up a random %? What's an 80% camo vs -25%? Whats the standard radius that I'm multiplying this chance by? Why can't you just give me a number instead?

Also I find it hilarious that the guy lamenting Drew's playstyle also misunderstood how camo worked.

Well exactly - why put it at a % then? If its clearly a radius and makes perfect sense as that, why throw in the wrench of having it put up a random %? What's an 80% camo vs -25%? Whats the standard radius that I'm multiplying this chance by? Why can't you just give me a number instead?

If you have a -% that means that enemies can see you from even farther away. It's weird but...IT WORKS OK.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
% is a measure of distance in the Metal Gear world. It's because of the Patriots. Much like parsec and Star Wars. Also because of the Patriots.

That sounds like a waking nightmare.

I already reserved my seat here!

They have literally been packing up cubicles and chairs to sell them off, while some staff suffers from a delusion that their job isn't ending within the next couple of months. On the plus side, nobody else gives a fuck about anything any more, so the stress levels are remarkably low.

Lettuce

If it was distance related then surely the closer a guard got to you then lower the camo percentage would drop...but this never happened, it only ever change depending on what your stance was, standing, crouching, or prone, it never ever change depending on the proximity of a guard, not once!. If this was indeed how Konami intended the camouflage to work then it was broken!

So this would suggest to was percentage based on how well you were camouflaged in your immediate environment!...may not have been intended that way but thats the way it works in the game the higher the camo rating the less chance of being spotted regardless how far or close an enemy is!

Wunder

If you have a -% that means that enemies can see you from even farther away. It's weird but...IT WORKS OK.

Yeah it makes perfect sense once you know its a specific radius and the % is a multiplier that increases/decreases the space where you can't be detected. It's utterly confusing that they dont just give you a measurement instead though, since this would solve most of the problems.

If it was distance related then surely the closer a guard got to you then lower the camo percentage would drop...but this never happened, it only ever change depending on what your stance was, standing, crouching, or prone, it never ever change depending on the proximity of a guard!. So this would suggest to was percentage based on how well you were camouflaged in your immediate environment!

What? No. The % meant a certain radius guards can see you. Like if you had 80% camo, let's say they had to be within 5 feet and looking directly at you in order to see you. Why would the guard being closer lower it?

Forget the whole 'Oh it's a coin flip the guard has a 50% of seeing you if it's 50%.' It's not like that.

They have literally been packing up cubicles and chairs to sell them off, while some staff suffers from a delusion that their job isn't ending within the next couple of months. On the plus side, nobody else gives a fuck about anything any more, so the stress levels are remarkably low.

That must be bizarre. You have something lined up?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That must be bizarre. You have something lined up?

Not yet. We don't have a solid end date (though our CEO walking strangers around the halls today and saying "Our lease is up January 31" gives me a good enough idea) and if I stick it out there's a decent package from the company that bought us out, so I'm just waiting and procrastinating on panic.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We have the opposite problem where it's like we're constantly growing because the city we're set in is constantly growing, but we're not hiring enough people and so many people keep quitting because they get stressed out from the long hours/days away from their family from not having enough people in their department.

Lettuce

What? No. The % meant a certain radius guards can see you. Like if you had 80% camo, let's say they had to be within 5 feet and looking directly at you in order to see you. Why would the guard being closer lower it?

Forget the whole 'Oh it's a coin flip the guard has a 50% of seeing you if it's 50%.' It's not like that.

Konami should of used degrees instead of percentages then lol

Not yet. We don't have a solid end date (though our CEO walking strangers around the halls today and saying "Our lease is up January 31" gives me a good enough idea) and if I stick it out there's a decent package from the company that bought us out, so I'm just waiting and procrastinating on panic.

Weird. I wish you the best though. At least you have the benefit of seeing it coming?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Weird. I wish you the best though. At least you have the benefit of seeing it coming?

Yeah, but the purchase happened last December. By May anybody paying attention realized our jobs weren't long-term, but they keep stumbling in the transition. An entire department was told they would be gone in June, then they were all given the opportunity to stay on to help move things over. They're still here but done in a few weeks. Their department's head is staying on with no team, and my department's head is leaving even though we're all staying. It's just a mess and I can't help but laugh at it most days.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I would have preferred my camo index to be measured in pounds per square inch. How pressurised is my current stealth situation.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
In true Metal Gear fashion, the camo meter should have been a butt. The more exposed your butt is, the more safe you can feel. If you're fully hidden, you're giving the guards a full moon and they don't even know it. Risky area without any cover? Maybe just a little plumber's crack showing. You know it's there. They know it's there. But it's not so obvious that they're going to be weird and say something.

The follwing 10 years after MGS1 where weird to Meryl. I guess she got into lifting between MGS1 and 4 or something.

I liked the early design she had in 4. It looks a lot more like the MGS1 / Twin Snakes / MGS2 Sub model. I wonder why they changed it.

There's a Panda Express opening up about five minutes from where I live. Any good?

Pandas Express is great.

The follwing 10 years after MGS1 where weird to Meryl. I guess she got into lifting between MGS1 and 4 or something.

I liked the early design she had in 4. It looks a lot more like the MGS1 / Twin Snakes / MGS2 Sub model. I wonder why they changed it.

Eh, honestly if she's leading her own unit as a Soldier, it makes more sense for her to be physically stronger.

tchocky

What is the schedule for GB related PAX things?

The only things to be live streamed by GB (The Thursday night stream and Mario party) are already on the schedule on the site.

For non GB streamed but possibly filmed/streamed events I am aware of (times west coast)

Friday morning: Jeff is on the youtube stage show.
Friday morning: Beastcast is recording in front of an audience
Saturday 3.30pm: 404ing It: Breaking (Down) the Internet with Drew and Mary Kish
Saturday 8pm: Giant bomb PAX panel
Sunday 10am: PAX rumble

Myggen

The YT stage show will be streamed, surely?

PAX Rumble is also in a theatre with streaming.

When they said that only those two shows were gonna be streamed, they were only talking about the shows they produce.

tuxfool

Banned

Given that when you first see Meryl in MGS, she is doing push-ups, it isn't surprising that she has shoulders. Her lack of physicality in the first game is probably due to the limitations of having polygonal tubes for arms.

Given that when you first see Meryl in MGS, she is doing push-ups, it isn't surprising that she has shoulders. Her lack of physicality in the first game is probably due to the limitations of having polygonal tubes for arms.

That is a much smarter way to look at that.

Its mostly the face change that was off putting and confusing since it was a completely different look.

Now I am wondering if Johnny's dad will be in MGSV. It was his grandad in 3 right?

I actually like the design, she's a soldier and has been for a long while, giving her a muscular build makes perfect sense. Better that than the waifish look some of the other women were given in MGS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom