• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchocky

Yup. I dont think anyone finished witcher 3, and only Brad/Dan finished Bloodborne. I always found it funny they reviewed Captain Toads game and not Bloodborne. Wonder how they decide what to review...?

Captain Toad was a really short game and not came out really late in the year so their was not much else out at the dsame time. Jeff was asked recently how they choose what to review

ramb0211 asked:Is there a reason you guys are reviewing remakes? You're pretty dismissive of them on the whole, deservedly so I would say; and you review very few games these days. What about certain remakes tips that decision one way or the other?

Jeff: We sort of pick and choose what we’re interested in, though that’s intercut with what we’ve got time for, what other games are coming out, which games have shown up, all that sort of stuff. We kinda play it by ear.

Anyway, I really liked Gears of War when it first came out and wanted to see how it held up after all this time. The answer kinda bummed me out!

I think handing brad a 20-30 hour game for review is really like saying you don't want a review for the game and hedging your bets that you've made the right call lol

i'm sure brad has a dozen or so things to do besides reviews but there have been quite a few lengthy games he's played this year where reviews didn't happen. I'm aware that perhaps he wasn't assigned to review them in the first place but it just bums me out.

I really liked reading their reviews on stuff, they tend to do a pretty good job at them!

but you know there will be salt if the site reviews Fallout 4 while passing on TW3 and Bloodborne reviews.

jaina

They don't write review content / headlines for the clicks, but their reviews exist to lure people to the site. So yeah, release week reviews are most valuable.

the good thing about trying to explain metal gear to people is that you don't actually have to do it because you lose them after about 30 seconds of trying

Myggen

Some thinly veiled Gamergate complaints in this comment section. When someone begins talking about "bias" every alarm bell goes off in my head.

Curufinwe

Almost as biased as when Giant Bomb didn't put Tomb Raider in their top 10 for 2013 GotY because the all-male crew didn't realize it was a historically important game.

BigBoss

Almost as biased as when Giant Bomb didn't put Tomb Raider in their top 10 for 2013 GotY because the all-male crew didn't realize it was a historically important game.

Wait, did someone actually try to make an argument that Tomb Raider was a historically important game? Who? Why? How?

Anjin M

I was actually mocking that ludicrous article from Brianna Wu that blamed sexism for TR not appearing in their 2013 top 10, despite the fact that two games with much better written female characters than 2013 Lara Croft came in at #1 and #4.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-bomb-s-2013-game-of-the-year-awards-day-five/1100-4807/

Funny that this comes up the same day as the new FemFreq video comes out. :)

I agree with you, though. Considering how Giant Bomb makes their Top Ten lists, it should be pretty easy to understand why no one felt strongly enough to push Tomb Raider on that list. I liked the game a lot, but maybe not everyone did.

BigBoss

That double-barrelled shotgun in The Order was waaaaay overpowered.

GroundedPerkyAffenpinscher.gif

when it comes to shotguns in third person games, I nominate the Gears franchise because that shotty makes shit rip apart really, really nicely.

Been playing Gears Ultimate online and, while the shotty is clearly messed up and in dire need of patching, those few times when you win a shotty dance are just so special

haha wow

there aren't many individual items in games that can sway my opinion of the overall product but a good shotgun is definitely one of them.

or conversely, a wimpy shotgun might make me hate your game

Anjin M

I always favor weapons that keep me at a distance from the enemy, so I rarely even use shotguns. I'm more of the spray-and-pray type. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
RDR sawn-off was pretty fun too if I remember

as well at GTA IV's in Lost And The Damned just for the motorcycle shotgunning

That game should've been really something special (I personally enjoyed it). I really hope they get another crack at it. The faults of the game are things that can be fixed in a sequel. Maybe not easily, but it's doable. Man that game looks so gorgeous. I'd hate to see the engine work go to waste. I wonder if RAD owns the engine or if Sony does. Because if RAD owns it and Sony proceeds to make a sequel (they own the IP I think) without them, that would be awkward in many ways.

RDR sawn-off was pretty fun too if I remember

Speaking of RDR, a few weeks ago when someone from Reddit posted that awesome GTA USA map a thought occurred to me. What if RS ever did do a GTA World and part of the map included the locations of RDR, but what they look like now, in modern times. I think that would be really cool, especially to see which areas grew.

Now you're giving Gone Home's writing far too much credit.

If you take a look at the whole narrative (the non-spoken stuff) of Gone Home it is pretty solid, it made a world where you interacted with no one feel very much alive. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, which initially looks a very similar game, got so much wrong in that regard. It looked beautiful but felt sterile.

If you take a look at the whole narrative (the non-spoken stuff) of Gone Home it is pretty solid, it made a world where you interacted with no one feel very much alive. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, which initially looks a very similar game, got so much wrong in that regard. It looked beautiful but felt sterile.

In terms of general narrative and creating an experience, sure. Not in terms of writing characters. The sloppy character writing in Gone Home is probably be biggest problem with the game.

I think they'll probably avoid too much extra MGS coverage considering they will already be filming the whole game and probably quick looking it. Though Vinny open world Metal Gear shenanigans would be fun.

Yeah I imagine they won't want to flood the site with too much Metal Gear coverage, there's already going to be quite a bit between a possible review, quicklook, playthrough and then maybe even a podcast. I could just really go for seeing some Vinny open world shenanigans.

One thing is for certain, we NEED a GBeast playdate for Just Cause 3.

Anjin M

Yeah I imagine they won't want to flood the site with too much Metal Gear coverage, there's already going to be quite a bit between a possible review, quicklook, playthrough and then maybe even a podcast. I could just really go for seeing some Vinny open world shenanigans.

One thing is for certain, we NEED a GBeast playdate for Just Cause 3.

I can back this plan. Vinny playing along side MGScanlonV would be overkill. JC3 seems right up his alley.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got Max on PC since it was GMG(though the WB publisher part makes me very curious how that'll go), but I'm wondering if I should get MGS on PC or PS4 since both run at 60 FPS anyways. Haven't seen enough of the PC version to know if the improvements will be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom