• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

I got Max on PC since it was GMG(though the WB publisher part makes me very curious how that'll go), but I'm wondering if I should get MGS on PC or PS4 since both run at 60 FPS anyways. Haven't seen enough of the PC version to know if the improvements will be worth it.

I'll get PC, because of the cheap Nvidia codes. But I was considering PS4 for quite a while, because I think that will run fine as well.

presumably you can use cheat engine on the pc version to bypass their stupid purchasable in-game currency so that alone is a pretty big selling point

Anjin M

presumably you can use cheat engine on the pc version to bypass their stupid purchasable in-game currency so that alone is a pretty big selling point

I assumed that those microtransactions are for the online component. If so, wouldn't Konami force everything server side? Or did I miss something?

edit://
Man I wish they would have uploaded the archive of the thing that was not easily available already first.
Yeah but they actually need to edit that thing together rather than just put a video up.

Um, I was going to answer, but NumberThree already got it. Always takes longer to cut together their multi-camera set up.

For Metal Gear there will be cheat tables out that prevent you from having to find values yourself.

yeah it's nice when they do but they tend to fall behind patch numbers pretty quickly. it's worth learning how to use it properly if you're going to use it semi-regularly. but yes, alleviating pointless grind is a pretty great thing when you feel like your time is being wasted.

I assumed that those microtransactions are for the online component. If so, wouldn't Konami force everything server side? Or did I miss something?

I don't really know anything about it other than it exists. if that's true then I don't care.

yami4ct

I've been playing Tomb Raider in fits and spurts over the last year or so. It's a game I really like when I play it, but it never sticks with me. Combat feels excellent, though. That bow is just the most satisfying thing. I can see why someone would really like it, but I can also see how it wouldn't make someone's top 10.

In terms of general narrative and creating an experience, sure. Not in terms of writing characters. The sloppy character writing in Gone Home is probably be biggest problem with the game.

I think they did a really great job creating a lived in world and telling a story with that world. Some of the side stuff was excellent. My big problem with Gone Home is it felt super emotionally manipulative. They build up this big sense of dread, not only through the story but also just the environment, and just pay it off with.
Oh actually everything's all fine.
. That really rubbed the wrong way. The side stories, though, are fantastic. Much more compelling that the main through line. It helps that you actually have to work to find them as well.

I don't really know anything about it other than it exists. if that's true then I don't care.

From my understanding, you get one base for free. Those are what the coins are for. That lets you engage in the multiplayer base invade component. It also lets you send out 2(?) dudes on away missions. You can then buy more bases to do more stuff with the base invade and send out more guys in single player. More bases just speeds up the progress on those away missions. Not sure how important those are, but I'm gonna bet not super important.

Myggen

Man I wish they would have uploaded the archive of the thing that was not easily available already first.

The PAX panel needs to be edited together and is a lot more work. This smaller panel was also not easily available since both the YT and Twitch archive cuts off the start of it.

yeah it's nice when they do but they tend to fall behind patch numbers pretty quickly. it's worth learning how to use it properly if you're going to use it semi-regularly. but yes, alleviating pointless grind is a pretty great thing when you feel like your time is being wasted.

For a game as popular as Metal Gear the tables will probably be kept up to date. And it's a game that I'm not sure is going to be patched that often anyway.

The PAX panel needs to be edited together and is a lot more work. This smaller panel was also not easily available since both the YT and Twitch archive cuts off the start of it.
And it cut off a lot of great moments.

Just started watching the VJ Deadly Premonition ER. I like the game but this one might be a bit boring. Probably should at least get to the parts where the game gets weird though.

jgminto

It's a shame, I don't think I could watch the Deadly Premonition ERs at this point. It's one of my favourite games ever made and I've 100%'d it multiple times. I'd probably act like everyone else was during the Chrono Trigger ER.

It's a shame, I don't think I could watch the Deadly Premonition ERs at this point. It's one of my favourite games ever made and I've 100%'d it multiple times. I'd probably act like everyone else was during the Chrono Trigger ER.

It's different with DP

With Chrono Trigger, they were getting on screen explanations for stuff and just completely ignoring it and then proceeding to be befuddled with what was happening.

With the DP ERs, they played them fine. Just don't expect a 100% run and you'll be fine. There aren't any bufu casting moments, it's more that they don't really get too deep into the side stuff and that kinda hurts them at times.

Deadly Premonition ER is fucking awesome, just treat the long combat sections like the dungeon grind episodes of the P4 ER and treat them as a podcast listening in the background as you do something else.

Myggen

Finally caught up with MPP5 and PAX Royal Rumble. Such a great weekend for content, even with all the botches in the Royal Rumble.

And we still have the normal PAX panel. Easily the best PAX ever for content, so good job to the everyone involved and especially Dan for making MPP5 happen!

And we still have the normal PAX panel. Easily the best PAX ever for content, so good job to the everyone involved and especially Dan for making MPP5 happen!

Plus there was a good flow of quicklooks throughout the week to avoid the normal content drought during a PAX week.

Wow, almost forgot about the panel lol. Hope it goes as great as their Thursday Night Live show did.
Also, gonna need Drunk Bad Brad to make a comeback

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Deadly Premonition might be a top 10 game of last generation for me. What a game. Such a bad first impression it makes though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
hmm I never watched the br one for some reason. I can vouch for the vj one though, I really enjoyed it.

Here's a panel Danny hosted at the same space where the Thursday night panel and MPP5 happened: Your Favorite Game Sucks! - The Dumbest Panel @ PAX 2015

The panelists include: Colin Moriarty (Assassin's Creed II- 2009), Chris Watters (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots- 2008), Brian Altano (Batman: Arkham Knight- 2015), and Anthony Carboni (Final Fantasy VII- 1997).

I think Chris' argument was the weakest, because, in his argument, he admits the only Metal Gear games he's played are Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (the GameCube remake) and MGS4. MGS2 and MGS3 are vital to completely (at least attempting to) understanding the story.

Is there a video of all the highlights from the BR run? I've only ever watched the JV one.

probably, but im one of those jerks that would tell you to watch it all. part of the charm of that stuff is when it comes up naturally and you arent expecting it. Watching a clip show of all the best events does them a disservice since you have nothing else to compare them to.

I told you i'd be a jerk about it

probably, but im one of those jerks that would tell you to watch it all. part of the charm of that stuff is when it comes up naturally and you arent expecting it. Watching a clip show of all the best events does them a disservice since you have nothing else to compare them to.

What a jerk...

I'll probably end up watching it then, I've always wanted to.

Sometimes it's not worth spending 10s of hours when you can get a decent part of the experience in a fraction of the time.

I love the DP ER, mostly because of the game itself, although the Vinny/Jeff commentary is certainly good.

Also I never understood the way people treat the bufu thing like it was some colossal fuck-up. Dude just absentmindedly picked the wrong spell one time. I mean it was funny but the way people treat it like some iconic moment never made sense to me.

I love the DP ER, mostly because of the game itself, although the Vinny/Jeff commentary is certainly good.

Also I never understood the way people treat the bufu thing like it was some colossal fuck-up. Dude just absentmindedly picked the wrong spell one time. I mean it was funny but the way people treat it like some iconic moment never made sense to me.

Jeff's reaction helped.

Lelcar

It's because it wasn't one time, but it's also because of Jeff's extreme reaction to it. It wasn't the first time that Vinny used bufu in the battle and eventually Jeff reached a boiling point where he flipped out. Bufu symbolizes that frustration for Jeff.

Just sayin' If GB east became a endless series of endurance runs of Vinny playing games in the office because he has no free time at home I would be OK with that.

There's no way the MB currency junk in MGSV will be "editable" in a cheat engine. Konami would have to be colossally foolish for that to happen.

Are there in game methods of obtaining those resources? If so, there's not much they can do. Everything in memory that is not stored server side is exploitable.

JambiBum

Danny is doing a play through of MGS 5 tonight at midnight est. Now I have to decide if I want to play or watch him. Damn you Danny.

Are there in game methods of obtaining those resources? If so, there's not much they can do. Everything in memory that is not stored server side is exploitable.

Well, there's 2 different things-

FOB earns resources for you, and dictates how many troops you can send out to earn even more resources.

MB coins dictates how many FOBs you can have, and helps accelerate building of things(Which isn't that egregious to begin with.)

Resources you earn through FOB and MB, as well as in game as Snake, by distracting things as Snake.

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/638469834234179589

Wonder who the QL is with if Jeff and Dan are still in Seattle. Is it the legendary Brad/Drew combo!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom