• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Am I the only one that is very wary of Halo 5 because of the MCC? Not in a boycott sense, but I honestly don't think 343 has it in them to deliver a working and actually good Halo game. 4 was mediocre and the MCC a clusterfuck of technical issues.

Nah, I'm not really nervous about Halo 5's online not working properly. I think MCC was an exceptional case of them just doing way more than they could handle with the online of three seperate games (and even farming a lot of that out to third parties, right?). I would be really surprised if Halo 5's online isn't working well, launch day issues aside.

myggens a girl

eUU2A.jpg

Am I the only one that is very wary of Halo 5 because of the MCC? Not in a boycott sense, but I honestly don't think 343 has it in them to deliver a working and actually good Halo game. 4 was mediocre and the MCC a clusterfuck of technical issues.
I wouldn't read too much into the MCC as that came from like 5 different studios and I don't think that 343 had a huge involvement with it.

It's still good to be wary though.

I want to see Vinny play this game for some reason. Hope it gets kickstarted just for that.
The Ryckoning https://youtu.be/VTJ0kn09F_c 1080p will kick in soo
Took longer than I wanted, but at least it's in time for the weekend
Excellent!
Jeff is the most anime avatar one can have.
Halo 4 worked at at launch and mediocre is your own opinion. MCC was shit though and I wouldn't blame anyone from staying away from 343 games because of MCC.

Jothel

I might have asked this before but what does Ryan Mcdonald do today? is he still with Gamespot?

He got laid off the same time as Justin Calvert I think. Last thing I know was the whole Washington drone thing... Don't think he's tweeted since then.

Myggen

He got laid off the same time as Justin Calvert I think. Last thing I know was the whole Washington drone thing... Don't think he's tweeted since then.

Yeah, Jeff laughed about that story again on the LA Podfest show, so it can't be that bad. But when I saw his last tweet I began to fear that he was at some CIA black site or something :p

pizzacat

Banned
Is it crazy that these guys are making me want a Wii u for Mario maker? I don't have a job that just has Wii u's out there like that like Drew :(

BearPawB

Banned
Is it crazy that these guys are making me want a Wii u for Mario maker? I don't have a job that just has Wii u's out there like that like Drew :(

Mario Maker is cool....but i struggled to find half the enjoyment that Jeff Dan and Patrick have found playing it.

They are in the perfect environment.

My experience is you make levels that almost no one plays
You don't get to see people play your levels when they do.
Almost all the levels you can play are complete shit (either way too hard or way to easy).

I don't know. I can appreciate the quality of the product, and i think patrick dan and jeff are having a GOTY time with it. But no way it would even make my list.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Maker is cool....but i struggled to find half the enjoyment that Jeff Dan and Patrick have found playing it.

Almost all the levels you can play are complete shit (either way too hard or way to easy).

I don't know. I can appreciate the quality of the product, and i think patrick dan and jeff are having a GOTY time with it. But no way it would even make my list.

That sounds like the experience most people would have. The streaming culture is perfect for that game but I have zero interest in it because I'd have exactly the same experience as you.

At this point the WiiU is worth it for the quality exclusives and the backwards compatibility with the Wii. Plus it has the best web browser experience when it comes to viewing content both on the TV or gamepad, match made in heaven with GB's content.

I think it depends on the person. For me I am not interested in creating that much so getting that classic Mario games fix from time to time in newer ways is always a ton of fun as well as satisfying, especially if you follow the people that create cool ass levels and while making one for people to play would be tough in a sea of many other levels, I find if you make a great level and share it. People will play it, you just have to make a really good one. The GB crew are lucky in the sense that they already have an established audience so people will always play their levels whenever they make one.

If you get Mario Maker I'd participate in the OT for it. Seemed like Daydream had a nice little community of makers going over there, so while you won't get the pleasure of seeing a man destroyed on stream, you'll probably have a better time than just randomly doing it.

But as Death said, there are a stupid amount of great games on the WiiU. Even if Maker doesn't work out for you, there's going to be something.

Zaph

Yeah, Dan talked about this very thing on stream - the game they're playing essentially isn't the same one you or I would.

It's funny, as anti streaming/Internet Nintendo are, they've created the perfect streamer game.

Xater

It would help if Nintendo had implemented better ways to categorize levels and if they would have picks they would surface in game, maybe on a weekly basis.

mintyice

A bunch of us fucked around with SynchTube tonight as a makeshift chat for the Halo 5 Unfinished, and we ended up having a pretty good time shooting the shit and watching a bunch of classic Giant Bomb clips (as well as some decidedly less-classic non-GB stuff), so I went and made something a little more permanent:

https://synchtu.be/r/GiantSync

For those unfamiliar, this is simply a chatroom where people can cue up YouTube clips (including live content, which I can imagine could become pretty handy in the future) that play in sync with everybody else. I'll try to plug it whenever there's a live YouTube stream going on, but for now I'm loading it up with old GB clips.

If anyone else wants to put Quick Looks, Best-Of clips, or any other GB YouTube videos they like up there, feel free.

you're welcome

JonCha

I thought Halo 5 looked great in the Unfinished, definitely made me more excited than I was to play it.

Yeah it impressed me also - and this is coming from someone that became completely disillusioned with the series after Halo 4 came out. That said, Jeff's concerns right at the end about the story not exactly being gripping after those first three missions is something I agreed with.

What really impressed me though is the scale of those missions. Everything just feels bigger.

BearPawB

Banned
It would help if Nintendo had implemented better ways to categorize levels and if they would have picks they would surface in game, maybe on a weekly basis.

Yeah, the online features are barely competent for a game based around sharing.
Imagine if this game had Trials Fusion levels of specificity in finding what you wanted to play online.

A bunch of us fucked around with SynchTube tonight as a makeshift chat for the Halo 5 Unfinished, and we ended up having a pretty good time shooting the shit and watching a bunch of classic Giant Bomb clips (as well as some decidedly less-classic non-GB stuff), so I went and made something a little more permanent:

For those unfamiliar, this is simply a chatroom where people can cue up YouTube clips (including live content, which I can imagine could become pretty handy in the future) that play in sync with everybody else. I'll try to plug it whenever there's a live YouTube stream going on, but for now I'm loading it up with old GB clips.

If anyone else wants to put Quick Looks, Best-Of clips, or any other GB YouTube videos they like up there, feel free.
Now I can't do anything else beside this. Thanks.

Yeah this new Halo looks pretty cool. They should release it for PC.

I haven't actually had much trouble finding good levels. I don't do 100 Mario challenge, but instead go through the featured list and look at the stars/clear ratings/names to figure out which ones to try. Not saying the experience couldn't be better, but I'm having a fairly good experience with it.

I'm lucky to have a bunch of friends I know would play any levels I made if my Wii U let me post them (and I had interest in making levels).

I need a couple of guinea pigs to test some new gif encoding I'm trying, please!

Test

I just need to know if it's showing up in the correct aspect ratio (not stretched), and what the file size of the image is for you.

I thought Halo 5 looked great in the Unfinished, definitely made me more excited than I was to play it.

I've never played any Halo game and I watched the live stream yesterday. Game looks really good. I really hope the MCC comes to PC eventually. I'd love to catch up on those games but I don't want to buy an Xbox.

nice

Nero18

All this Mario Maker talk made me curious to go back and play some LittleBigPlanet. Would really like to see a new developer take a crack at it, felt like MM went the wrong direction with it.

repeater

All this Mario Maker talk made me curious to go back and play some LittleBigPlanet. Would really like to see a new developer take a crack at it, felt like MM went the wrong direction with it.
Tarsier did LBP Vita. Sumo Digital did LBP3. The former is damn good, the latter is widely regarded as the worst of the whole series (though I haven't played much of it myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom