• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

That's the problem with annualising massive games. Because the studios have to leap-frog each other's release there's no time for vitally important pre-production with a small team. No time to gauge the response to the previous game and the current temperature of your franchise.

I imagine Ubisoft had no idea Black Flag would be so well received and act as the palate cleanser the series needed. And when they did realise? Unity was in feature lock and Rogue was their B-game.

It also doesn't give you enough time to actually make major improvements to your game mechanics.

danm999

I imagine Ubisoft had no idea Black Flag would be so well received and act as the palate cleanser the series needed. And when they did realise? Unity was in feature lock and Rogue was their B-game.

Yep. The massive ship that is Ubiosft turns slowly. When you think about it they're lucky they were already designing AC 4 around the best part of 3 (the ship stuff).

Had they designed 4 around, I dunno the tree stuff, there might not be an Assasins Creed series anymore.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It also doesn't give you enough time to actually make major improvements to your game mechanics.

Yeah the combat mechanics are essentially still rooted in what AC2 did, with the same jank-ass animations. Something about the sound and animations in combat has always been off in the series. I'm amazed they are still using basically the same combat systems in Syndicate, it should've been scrapped and redesigned wholesale like 4 games ago.

Jintor

creed combat has always felt horrendously crappy. That team has no idea how to use hitstop/start and other time related animation things to give combat that really snappy feel.

...at least, that's how i remember it being. Things might've changed.

But i doubt it.

Instead of actually fixing any of their systems they just trivialize it so it's over as fast as possible. They've been doing it to the combat in every game since II and have increasingly been doing it for traversal as well. The stuff I've seen of Syndicate basically has you Batman-grappling your way to the top of whatever building you want in seconds.

creed combat has always felt horrendously crappy. That team has no idea how to use hitstop/start and other time related animation things to give combat that really snappy feel.

...at least, that's how i remember it being. Things might've changed.

But i doubt it.

Nope they haven't, the combat still lacks any real flow and just feels like a mess of janky animations all jumbled together.

SomberOwl

Am I the only one that enjoyed both AC games last year and still enjoys them? I didn't have any problems with them.

Is anyone else here actually looking forward to Syndicate? I am. I still like the gameplay of AC.

You can watch the video with Dan from our friends at Unarchived: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTJ0kn09F_c

Makes it much more interesting, since nothing of note really happened in the first three streams and it's this ending marathon is were all the excitement went down. Just click around in the video especially towards the end, where Patrick's tiredness leads to him being silent most of the time.

Thank you!

BearPawB

Banned
Am I the only one that enjoyed both AC games last year and still enjoys them? I didn't have any problems with them.

Is anyone else here actually looking forward to Syndicate? I am. I still like the gameplay of AC.

I don't think the core gameplay loop of assassins creed games is bad. I am just utterly bored of it.

I have to admit that I agree... MGS 1-4 were a lot of fun to watch but 5 is just a borefest.

Demo Derby on the other hand is the best feature on the site this year and we're not getting enough of it.
Reverse that and you'd be right. Demo Derby is typically very boring.

DamnBoxes

Reverse that and you'd be right. Demo Derby is typically very boring.

2611779-7911097495-i05zL.gif

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I'd trade in Metal Gear Scanlon for one weekly Demo Derby in a heartbeat. So done with that series.

You're literally the first person I've heard say anything bad about demo derby. How can you not like little time capsules of gaming??
I was there and remember almost all of it already but never in any fond or nostalgic way. The Jaffe stuff and the Ginuwine video from the last episode were the only entertaining parts. Granted I never liked the disc based 32 bit systems, but even if there was somehow a demo collection of N64 games, it wouldn't be that interesting.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Look forward to another 50+ episodes of it.

I don't think I can physically handle that much more of this series.

I'll probably end up having them on in the background when I'm playing a game that doesn't require my full attention or something.

Well I just spent a significant portion of my day playing games while watching that Ryckoning video on GB Unarchived. Great job by the duder/s over there, combined stream/periscope etc videos are super helpful.

Look forward to the follow up stuff from this, hope they manage to follow through on the podcast and additional challenge they talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom