• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewatching UPF, Jeff's well water experience is not indicative of how modern wells are. My dad lives in a rural part of California and has a well, and it's the best water. These days wells have reverse-osmosis filters so the sulfur/iron issues Jeff was referring to don't exist anymore. I'm always bummed out when I come home and have to drink/bath in gross city water.

LegoArmo

Any of you guys just wake up one day and realise that Rorie is your favourite duder?

His sense of humour matches mine perfectly.

I've started playing through Life is Strange finally so I can watch GBeast's playthrough as it comes. This is a good damn video game. I really liked the ending to episode 1, but holy crap Max is a clumsy person. Half the rewinds I've done has been because Max knocked over a drink onto something, or failed at getting something off a shelf.

I've started playing through Life is Strange finally so I can watch GBeast's playthrough as it comes. This is a good damn video game. I really liked the ending to episode 1, but holy crap Max is a clumsy person. Half the rewinds I've done has been because Max knocked over a drink onto something, or failed at getting something off a shelf.

What if you're as clumsy as her

but whenever something like that happens you rewind time back

but you just don't remember it

If you like Episode 1, you're gonna love this game. I thought episode 1 was ok, but man does this game get consistently better.

yami4ct

I hope Austin writes something about the new Gundam series because it's legit as hell and I want to know what he thinks of it.

We have 2 episodes to judge it on. Let's not get too hasty. It has some awesome ideas, but it could still easily go to shit. Look what happened to 00.

Having too much hope is something you can't afford as a Gundam fan, haha.

I'm surprised the Simulcast isn't locked behind premium.

That's because CR is getting it a week late. For the real simulcast, you have to check out Daisuki or Hulu+. We're on Episode 3 now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Since Dan mentioned it again in this weeks podcast, a reminder to watch Dan's playthrough of Tail of the Sun if you haven't already.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Doing a playthrough of MGSV is starting to sound not so fun for Drew. It seems like it could end up being the equivalent of locking a kid in a closet with a box of cigars. It's just not really made for this kind of thing I don't think...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really don't get where people are coming from that drew is forcing himself through mgsv. He actually seems to be having fun with the game's mechanics unlike the other metal gear games.

Lelcar

We have 2 episodes to judge it on. Let's not get too hasty. It has some awesome ideas, but it could still easily go to shit. Look what happened to 00

I love 00. Among my favourite of the Gundam series. Since then it's just been AGE and weird chibi stuff that doesn't do anything for me, so I'm excited to jump into this new one. It's been so long since 00 and Iron Blooded Orphans finally seems like the next successor to Wing and Seed and 00, but yeah, we'll see how the show turns out with more episodes.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't get where people are coming from that drew is forcing himself through mgsv. He actually seems to be having fun with the game's mechanics unlike the other metal gear games.

idk he's playing on autopilot and seems to have zero investment in anything, from his eyeroll when he listened to 2 tapes to his lack of desire to experiment or even attempt a stealthy approach. I'm not saying he's DISliking it but he certainly doesn't come across like he's very engaged.

Myggen

Dude doesn't have a face.

Yeah, it's that and he just looks like a sack of meat.

idk he's playing on autopilot and seems to have zero investment in anything, from his eyeroll when he listened to 2 tapes to his lack of desire to experiment or even attempt a stealthy approach. I'm not saying he's DISliking it but he certainly doesn't come across like he's very engaged.

Well, he didn't exactly play the previous games in a very stealthy way either. Playing the least stealthy way he can seems to be the Drew way of playing MGS games, this one included.

yami4ct

I love 00. Among my favourite of the Gundam series. Since then it's just been AGE and weird chibi stuff that doesn't do anything for me, so I'm excited to jump into this new one. It's been so long since 00 and Iron Blooded Orphans finally seems like the next successor to Wing and Seed and 00, but yeah, we'll see how the show turns out with more episodes.

00 Season 1 was great, but it went so downhill from there for me. Probably the biggest drop-off I've ever seen in a Gundam show. I really want to see a show do the tone of 00 or Wing well, since I think both those shows fail miserably.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gundam is stupid pie in the sky faux emotional nonsense and always has been
Go Nagai robots are cool dudes doing cool things

Myggen

Does the Gundam series have any interesting characters, or is it more just a cool action things happening all the time kind of anime?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's that and he just looks like a sack of meat.

Well, he didn't exactly play the previous games in a very stealthy way either. Playing the least stealthy way he can seems to be the Drew way of playing MGS games, this one included.

That's true but those were both shorter and harder (possibly with the exception of MGS4 for "harder"). I was hoping in a longer, more free-form format Drew might actually try to play somewhat competently. Those dreams are dead.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Then he isn't very engaged with every other metal gear solids then.

yami4ct

Does the Gundam series have any interesting characters, or is it more just a cool action things happening all the time kind of anime?

Absolutely. Before CCA ruined him, Char is legitimately one of the most interesting villains/anti-heroes I've seen in a mecha show. Bright Noa has a really good arc as well, as does Sayla. Outside of UC, it gets a bit murkier. G has some fun characters, but it's way sillier. Wing's cast is god awful. SEED has some good stuff, but it quickly ruins them. Turn A is amazing in general. Outside of that, it's pretty standard.

If you go to the more serious OVA stuff, 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket are awesome for character work. Both those are on the ground stories about grunt units and they tell pretty interesting war stories. I also think all the characters in The Origin manga are super well drawn and interesting, much more so than they were in the original series.

Myggen

That's true but those were both shorter and harder (possibly with the exception of MGS4 for "harder"). I was hoping in a longer, more free-form format Drew might actually try to play somewhat competently. Those dreams are dead.

Those dreams were dead from the start.

F130KbU.gif

From what I've seen of the UC timeline so far, it has great characters. Everything outside of that has been hit or miss for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom