• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Absolutely. Before CCA ruined him, Char is legitimately one of the most interesting villains/anti-heroes I've seen in a mecha show. Bright Noa has a really good arc as well, as does Sayla. Outside of UC, it gets a bit murkier. G has some fun characters, but it's way sillier. Wing's cast is god awful. SEED has some good stuff, but it quickly ruins them. Turn A is amazing in general. Outside of that, it's pretty standard.

If you go to the more serious OVA stuff, 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket are awesome for character work. Both those are on the ground stories about grunt units and they tell pretty interesting war stories. I also think all the characters in The Origin manage are super well drawn and interesting, much more so than they were in the original series.

Sounds cool, thanks.

Gundam is stupid pie in the sky faux emotional nonsense and always has been
Go Nagai robots are cool dudes doing cool things

hqmqpaU.gif

kvothe

Listening to old Bombcasts

Brads voice was super deep back then

I mean it still is

But back then... super deep

Yeah, I started following the GB crew towards the end of 2010 and since then Brad's "deep" voice was referenced a couple time on quicklooks and podcasts, but I thought it was just kinda deep, nothing remarkable. But listening to older recordings of him, I can totally hear what they were talking about.

Myggen

Yeah, I started following the GB crew towards the end of 2010 and since then Brad's "deep" voice was referenced a couple time on quicklooks and podcasts, but I thought it was just kinda deep, nothing remarkable. But listening to older recordings of him, I can totally hear what they were talking about.

He sounded more Southern back in the day too, but that's only natural since he's only lived in SF for 10 or so years.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ryan's gamespot-arrow pointing down voice was the most jarring. He sounded like a little baby.

Then of course there's retainer Rorie.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Absolutely. Before CCA ruined him, Char is legitimately one of the most interesting villains/anti-heroes I've seen in a mecha show. Bright Noa has a really good arc as well, as does Sayla. Outside of UC, it gets a bit murkier. G has some fun characters, but it's way sillier. Wing's cast is god awful. SEED has some good stuff, but it quickly ruins them. Turn A is amazing in general. Outside of that, it's pretty standard.

If you go to the more serious OVA stuff, 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket are awesome for character work. Both those are on the ground stories about grunt units and they tell pretty interesting war stories. I also think all the characters in The Origin manage are super well drawn and interesting, much more so than they were in the original series.

All of this is incomprehensible. I feel like I'm reading something that was google-translated from russian

Watching that UPF and man i haven't heard that Powerman 5000 song in a long while.

00 Season 1 was great, but it went so downhill from there for me. Probably the biggest drop-off I've ever seen in a Gundam show. I really want to see a show do the tone of 00 or Wing well, since I think both those shows fail miserably.

Man 00 season 2 was so fucking bad.

Setsuna just outing everyone on the team and forcing them to return

Lockon conveniently having a twin brother

The ace pilot on the other side becoming this weird crazy dude obsessed with honor (iirc)

etc

THE MOTHERFUCKING MOVIE

it was a damn trainwreck

what did CCA do to ruin him? i was never really a MS Gundam fan because young Amuro was a annoying little shit so it stopped watching.

Myggen

I caught all of that before you spoiler tagged it, Infinite Justice, and now GUNDAM IS RUINED FOREVER FOR ME!!!!!

Nah, I didn't understand any of it.

FUBU Jeff is the best Jeff. I remember all too well the time in my life when I thought FUBU was the coolest shit.

I caught all of that before you spoiler tagged it, Infinite Justice, and now GUNDAM IS RUINED FOREVER FOR ME!!!!!

Nah, I didn't understand any of it.

FUBU Jeff is the best Jeff. I remember all too well the time in my life when I thought FUBU was the coolest shit.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

I was counting on that. :p

To be honest i was thinking of not placing it spoiler tags but hey you never know

Myggen

I was counting on that. :p

To be honest i was thinking of not placing it spoiler tags but hey you never know

I think not spoiler tagging Gundam spoilers is pretty safe because anyone who hasn't already watched it won't know what the hell you're talking about. I've already forgotten everything you wrote.

Fantastapotamus

I think not spoiler tagging Gundam spoilers is pretty safe because anyone who hasn't already watched it won't know what the hell you're talking about. I've already forgotten everything you wrote.

I'm still not sure it is actually meant to make sense.

yami4ct

what did CCA do to ruin him? i was never really a MS Gundam fan because young Amuro was a annoying little shit so it stopped watching.

CCA is extremely frustrating because it pretty much ignores any character development post-0079. The film basically acts like Zeta never happened, and that hurts all the characters involved, particularly Char.

Basically, Zeta has Amuro and Char teaming up to take on an Earth government that's gone out of control. It takes Char away from being a character who's purely revenge driven and humanizes him. You can tell he genuinely cares about humanity.

CCA turns him into an egomaniacal dictator of a new Zeon force (With zero explanation of how he even rose to power). He also wants to drop an asteroid on earth so he can drive humanity off it and let it recover from the damage we caused, which isn't something that makes any remote sense given the Char we see in Zeta. All this feels purely to set him up in a villain role so we can see a conclusion to his and Amuro's rivalry. It's awful.

Amuro also gets shit on a bit as well. The relationships he develops in Zeta are promptly dropped with zero mention and he's back in good graces working with the Earth government. Even though he took out the force in the Earth government that was abusing power, I don't think it makes much sense that he would go back to a high ranking military position after seeing all that.

Since you didn't finish 0079, I highly recommend checking out The Origin manga. It's really the perfection of that story. The art is amazing and the pacing has really been fixed. Amir does start as a whiny shit, but he develops over the course of the series into someone likable, or at least relatable. Also, The Origin treats him and Char as co-protaganists, so you aren't stuck seeing things just from his view for the whole time.

Fantastapotamus

This is all Austin's fault isn't it? He made talking about Gundam in here acceptable. I'm sorry GB, but you need to get rid of him. Please hire somebody with good taste in cool things instead. Thanks

Signed
A fan

yami4ct

This is all Austin's fault isn't it? He made talking about Gundam in here acceptable. I'm sorry GB, but you need to get rid of him. Please hire somebody with good taste in cool things instead. Thanks

Signed
A fan

Gundam is the best. I hate almost all of it.

Yami is trying to will an Austin article about Gundam into existence.

I've had this argument about CCA so many times that it's become way too easy for me to type all that. I have a problem.

Drew will totally be out of the office and odds are Jason will be by then as well but I hope they can still do a live stream for Sony's big PGW show on the 27th.

Sony Europe has a presentation style you cant get anywhere else.

a6PtDLH.gif

+ wide angle shots of the crowd instead of direct feed of the game being demoed on stage.

yami4ct

You know what's some good Gundam series? Build Fighters and Build Fighters Tri.

Build Fighters was a bit too standard shonen battle series for me. I also didn't like a good chunk of the cast and the battles started sucking when everything became 'build knuckle to victory'.

Try was ruined by way too many bad romance plots and no development of the antagonists.

Animation is amazing, though.

The Origin manga is probably the best Gundam thing even made.Turn A is still my favorite, though. So much fun and the cast is great. As bad as SEED gets, I think the CE suits are my favorite mech designs in the franchise.

Myggen

Drew will totally be out of the office and odds are Jason will be by then as well but I hope they can still do a live stream for Sony's big PGW show on the 27th.

a6PtDLH.gif

Yeah, hopefully they can maybe get a Gamespot producer to help them out. It's at a decent time for them.

If GBWest can't do it I'll settle for GBEast too!

Zaph

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/a6PtDLH.gif[/IMG]

+ wide angle shots of the crowd instead of direct feed of the game being demoed on stage.

There's potential for a real good shit show for the next couple weeks, it could be another beautiful mess like the time amazon went down. Hoping jeff goes all pirate radio

Fantastapotamus

Bringing up an old (and non existent) review completely out of nowhere, not even somewhat related to the topic. This is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom