• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Steam says I have 55 hours on MGSV and I wish it was half that. It took me over a month to finish the game because I didn't want to burn myself out on repetitive missions. The unclear unlock conditions and gameplay for the last few missions didn't leave a good, final impression either. It honestly became a bit of a chore for me just to finish what I started.

You know what? Here's what it comes down to.

Both the Witcher 3 and MGSV are large games with a lot to offer. If you don't take the time and energy to explore and appreciate the meticulously crafted world of the Witcher 3, you're not going to like the game. Right now, Dan is just playing it to finish it. Of COURSE the game is going to drag.

I did the same thing with MGSV. Past a certain point I just wanted to play to finish it, because I wasn't having fun with the game anymore. I didn't explore the wide breadth of fun combat options because I never felt any need to. Just go in, CQC some dudes, and get on with extracting enemy commander #347. By the time I finished the game I was left with such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm still floored whenever people say 'wow but the game was so fun to play!!!' because my brain just doesn't register that as the truth.

Myggen

I'd almost be willing to bet that JC3 ends placing higher than Fallout 4.

For whatever reason, I'm still convinced that Fallout 4 will either barely make the list or not make the list.

If I had to make a BOLD prediction, it would be Brad filibustering to get The Taken King on the list instead of Fallout 4.

If TTK was eligible it probably wouldn't need a filibuster. Both Dan and Austin are fans and would probably agree. But DLC and expansion packs have never been eligible for the GOTY list, so I won't count TTK until I hear Brad trying to change that precedent.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know what 2015 release has awesome combat?
sengoku-basara-4-sumeragi-396981.19.jpg

f0rk

Looking at some of the prerelease stuff for just cause 3 it doesn't look that much better than 2. I really liked that game cos I enjoy finding my own fun in open worlds but this year is so strong I don't have much faith that JC3 will bring the polish required for top 3 GOTY. Not sure I'd take a bet on it not being top 5 though, despite Myggen's track record

yami4ct

As a musou fan I'm basically numb when it comes to actual 'critical' reviews of a lot of niche games I like (mainly JRPG's and well musou games). For a lot of that stuff I prefer just to go to actual user impressions on Neogaf or Reddit or whatever. Up until DW7, I basically went almost a decade enjoying a franchise everyone told me was the fucking worst kind of game ever. Don't get me started on that Compile Heart moe bullshit
I love it so much I own almost every Neptunia game except for PP and the 2nd and 3rd Rebirth .

At some point you grow up and realize that you enjoy something most others won't and that's totally OK.

that looks really cool.

That pic along with Austin's tweet of the Anubis figure he bought is doing a number on my judgement tbh

With the Yen in the shape it is right now, there's never been a better time to jump in. Everything you import get's like a 20% discount right off the top. It's been amazing.

Patryn

If TTK was eligible it probably wouldn't need a filibuster. Both Dan and Austin are fans and would probably agree. But DLC and expansion packs have never been eligible for the GOTY list, so I won't count TTK until I hear Brad trying to change that precedent.

Brad is going to attempt to change that precedent.

We're talking about the man who has justified to himself having Dota 2 on his list multiple years in a row.

I thought the Witcher 3 stayed consistently great throughout, and was well paced to boot which is unique for an open world game. Ie, before the big fights near the end of the game you just drink with your fellow witchers and catch up on what you've been up to which was great for someone who played the first game.

Whereas MGS V's story never takes off at any point, is weirdly paced(especially in chapter 2 where you have to grind to unlock missions), and of course doesn't actually have an ending. And yeah, the mechanics are great but the areas where you use them aren't very interesting.

Zornack

Both the Witcher 3 and MGSV are large games with a lot to offer. If you don't take the time and energy to explore and appreciate the meticulously crafted world of the Witcher 3, you're not going to like the game. Right now, Dan is just playing it to finish it. Of COURSE the game is going to drag.

The issue I have with TW3 is that its world is big and beautiful but there's nothing rewarding to do in it.

Like, yeah, there's this big forest in front of me and if this where a Bethesda game I'd probably find something neat if I go in and explore it but in The Witcher 3 maybe there's some chest with alcohol and vendor trash in it and that's it.

The issue I have with TW3 is that it's world is big and beautiful but there's nothing rewarding to do in it.

Like, yeah, there's this big forest in front of me and if this where a Bethesda game I'd probably find something neat if I go in and explore it but in The Witcher 3 maybe there's some chest with alcohol and vendor trash in it and that's it.

Man there's so much. All those question marks have something and there's loads of them!

The best gear in the game is found in places like that.

I would say their world is much more interesting than Bethesda.

Myggen

Brad is going to attempt to change that precedent.

We're talking about the man who has justified to himself having Dota 2 on his list multiple years in a row.

But the personal top 10 has no rulles, you can put whatever the fuck you want on that one. The GOTY list has actual rules.

I don't care one bit about the end result, I just enjoy the speculation.

The issue I have with TW3 is that its world is big and beautiful but there's nothing rewarding to do in it.

The Witcher 3 has lots of Bethesda style level scaling loot if you want to go that route and search it out but I'd just stick to the side quests which will take you through a lot of the big locations in the game and often on the same level of quality as the main story stuff. I'd take the Witcher 3's world design any day over Skyrim where your tiny cities with 20 people(that are meant to be massive) are a five minute walk from each other.

It's perfectly doable. You don't need to do all the sidequests besides the few critical ones like the Radovid one.

Everything once you get Ciri moves way faster than anything before it.

That's good.

Is there some sort of list of sidequests that feature returning characters?
I've done the Letho sidequest and would like to do any quests like that if there are others.

yami4ct

What the Witcher does for me is that it's story in all its facets including side quests is so rewarding and the detail of the world adds so much to those that the lack of interesting things in every corner of the world is OK. The game does a great job at pointing me at the stuff I want to see. I got a million times more enjoyment out of that than I ever did out of the bland quest work in Skyrim.

Lingitiz

I feel like the storytelling is enough though. Most of the quests generally tell nice little side stories. Not all of them are great but most of them are worthwhile. To me that's more interesting than grinding through stuff to grind for experience and loot.

I compare that to some of the trash in Skyrim and Inquisition and it's so much better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know which game has great gameplay, a satisfying story with great characters that wrap things up without much bloat and doesn't take fucking forever to complete?

Persona 4 dancing.

I might be lying about the story part.

Myggen

You know which game has grwat gameplay, a satisfying story with great characters that wrap things up without much bloat and doesn't take fucking forever to complete?

Persona 4 dancing.

Is there much story in that game? It's canon, right?

Zocano

The ending of The Witcher 3 is satisfying as hell if you are invested in the story.

Naaaah.

I adore Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 was p damn good but I don't like the direction the story took with Witcher 3. Also the last 1/3 comes off as super rushed for the scope and scale they attempt and it is kind of a bummer because of it.

It's still probably maybe going to be my GOTY but we'll see and I'll have to mull it over some more.

I've seen lots of trailers for Syndicate everywhere, doesn't really seem any different than other Assassin's Creed launches for me. Of course I won't be playing it for a month because the PC version isn't coming out until November.

The Witcher 3 has lots of Bethesda style level scaling loot if you want to go that route and search it out but I'd just stick to the side quests which will take you through a lot of the big locations in the game and often on the same level of quality as the main story stuff. I'd take the Witcher 3's world design any day over Skyrim where your tiny cities with 20 people(that are meant to be massive) are a five minute walk from each other.

Man there's so much. All those question marks have something and there's loads of them!

The best gear in the game is found in places like that.

I would say their world is much more interesting than Bethesda.

Yeah, the sidequests are what make the world interesting. I didn't touch the question marks at all after the beginning of the game because I knew that it would drive me nuts if I went after every single one. But there are so many quests, on Skellige in particular, that do a tremendous job of storytelling and worldbuilding. One in particular that sticks out in my memory is the one where you have to deal with a village's "forest god" and their old traditions and stuff.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Witcher 3 is this years GTA4.

No, the Witcher 3 is a great game and one of the best written. CDPR are masters at weaving side and main quest lines together. I loved in Witcher 1 how the Salamance investigation waxed and waned, it felt real and rewarding. 3 takes that quality to a new level.

GTA 4 is just a technically well executed thing to look at. It plays badly, is written badly and is only passable in all but the noninteractive elements.

yami4ct

Is there much story in that game? It's canon, right?

From what I've seen, there's a ton of VN segments like Arena had. As for canonicity, it's as canon as arena. I'm certain it's canon to the side games, but the main P series likely isn't going to mention the events with the P4 cast again.

You know which game has great gameplay, a satisfying story with great characters that wrap things up without much bloat and doesn't take fucking forever to complete?

Persona 4 dancing.

I still maintain that P4D probably has the best soundtrack that has ever been in a game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think my biggest problem with MGS V is just the pacing. It takes forever to go anywhere in this game, and there is nothing to do or find inbetween. So even if I want to do some of the side-ops (which I usually do while listening to podcasts, that's relaxing) it just takes foreeeeever.

Pick where you want to land on the map, watch the helicopter landing animation, run to the place where you need to be, kill the dude you need to kill, run away, call the chopper, wait for the chopper, watch the helicopter taking off animation, load to the main menu, pick the spot where you want to go next, load back into the game, watch the helicopter animation again, land etc.

It's driving me insane.

danm999

GTA 4 is just a technically well executed thing to look at. It plays badly, is written badly and is only passable in all but the noninteractive elements.

I dunno if GTA 4 is badly written so much as it's over written.

Replaying it recently I don't know how many more car rides I can take where I hear about the noble failure of the American experiment.

def sim

Alex hasn't posted a lot of trailers of the game, so that helps.

Heh maybe

Have they been releasing many trailers?

I think Ubisoft was playing it really fucking quiet this year compared to previous years.

One more overhyped trainwreck could sink things.

It seems so unlike them. It does feel like Ubi hasn't been pushing their biggest release of the year much at all, though it's possible I'm not paying as much attention as I used to.

I think my biggest problem with MGS V is just the pacing. It takes forever to go anywhere in this game, and there is nothing to do or find inbetween. So even if I want to do some of the side-ops (which I usually do while listening to podcasts, that's relaxing) it just takes foreeeeever.

Pick where you want to land on the map, watch the helicopter landing animation, run to the place where you need to be, kill the dude you need to kill, run away, call the chopper, wait for the chopper, watch the helicopter taking off animation, load to the main menu, pick the spot where you want to go next, load back into the game, watch the helicopter animation again, land etc.

It's driving me insane.

You know you can skip the chopper pick up part if you're doing side ops, right?

danm999

Wanna go bowling?

Let's split the difference and go drink driving.

It seems so unlike them. It does feel like Ubi hasn't been pushing their biggest release of the year much at all, though it's possible I'm not paying as much attention as I used to.

No I think it's definitely been much more laid back.

As to why who knows. Maybe because they expect it to be as badly received as Unity and want to minimise damage or because if you go in low key and it totally doesn't suck its a pleasant surprise.

MGS V is Destiny 1.0 levels of head scratchingly bad and repetitive design.

Destiny might have had more story though.

BUT AT LEAST THE SHOOTING FEELS GOOD IN BOTH!

tuxfool

Banned
I feel like I'm crazy for thinking W3 got stronger as time went on. It's the most I've ever been hooked on a game and it really kicks into gear in act 2.

And then after 10 hours or so I kind of stopped caring about MGSV and forced myself to rush till the end. Whereas the Dan says he played for 90 hours or something and loved every second.

Nah. You're not crazy. The problem is with people dropping the game for months on end and then expecting to get into the same rhythms when they pick it back up.

That's the good kind of jank though.

And I honestly think Unity is the best Assassin's Creed game in a long time in terms of mission design. There are actual assassinations with multiple ways to approach them! My main problem with the game is how many weird things they removed from the combat. Can roll and pick up a rifle to shoot someone, the mechanic of using human shields from AC3 was removed, can't grab and throw someone. Just nonsensical, weird things to remove and not replace.

Black Flag is a terrible game. It's 90% eavesdropping, and the rest is just tediously piloting your ship towards small island after small island which you will leave after 5 minutes.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
early impressions aren't so hot, all the major mechanics seems to be the same (aka not improved)

ai certainly didn't get an upgrade

What do you mean "not so hot". This looks already amazing.

Nah. You're not crazy. The problem is with people dropping the game for months on end and then expecting to get into the same rhythms when they pick it back up.

I love Witcher 3 so damn much, but it took me a solid hour to get back into it once Heart of Stone came out. Needed to look up the controls a couple of times.

danm999

Yep. It's why episodic games can be really dicey unless they leave a strong impression on you.

For GotY in a year when titles became tedious before they ended I'm only willing to accept games that I could be arsed to finish and also remember finishing. The list currently consists of Undertale, Ori and the Blind Forest, Until Dawn and Contradiction. Cities: Skylines is the exception to the rule.

I need some serious East Coast filibusters unless most of the crew play Undertale before the end of the year and see that it's obviously GotY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom