• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
for undertale to make it into the top 5 it's going to need a full on Jeff or Vinny love-fest. Dan seems to have liked the game but I don't know if he'll be giving it the push it needs.

Myggen

Didnt Destiny bizarrely find its way onto the list last year just because Brad whined for half an hour til they gave in?

tumblr_ms9nksz0ej1qfnp35o1_400.gif

Isn't it also a retail product, though?

Nope, just part of a GOTY version of the base game.

I don't think bats had that big a problem, in predator rooms you'd almost always get gunned down in a matter of seconds if you weren't at least considerate of who to target first and sightlines etc.

The problem with Batman for me personally was that the glide kick and choke takedowns were the most reliable attacks but were super boring compared to stuff like pulling off vertical takedowns or planning explosive traps.

dan2026

And this was early pre Taken King barely any content crappy Destiny to boot.

That it beats Wolfenstein on any top ten list is absurd.

Still annoyed

danm999

Didnt Destiny bizarrely find its way onto the list last year just because Brad whined for half an hour til they gave in?

Brad's a pro at the process. He left it off the big list initially and tried to stealth add it half way through to the master document at which point someone caught him and asked "hold on who is adding Destiny to this list" and he said they should wait to discuss it until the end of the list where it was sitting.

Just a master class in the GOTY process.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wolfenstein was the kind of single player FPS campaign you just don't get in games anymore.

But it doesn't deserve GOTY because it doesn't have lewt or bars to fill

yami4ct

As I recall the crux of his argument was 'let this in or I will cry' and nobody had the strength to keep arguing with him.

Instead of giving into exhaustion, he turned it into righteous indignation in order to fight for the place on the list people cared about the least. It's a brilliant heel move.

dan2026

Wolfenstein was the kind of single player FPS campaign you just don't get in games anymore.

But it doesn't deserve GOTY because it doesn't have lewt or bars to fill
I dont think it was GOTY, although it was very good.

I think it was a better game than Destiny. Everything Destiny stumbled at, it did right.
Destiny was a mess at launch. Wolfenstein was a pleasant surprise.

danm999

Instead of giving into exhaustion, he turned it into righteous indignation in order to fight for the place on the list people cared about the least. It's a brilliant heel move.

It says something that Brad's not GOTY got on the list and Drew's GOTY did not.

That Brad is a fucking force of nature at these things.

Myggen

It's always weird to me that Destiny's 10th place gets all the focus, when Jeff managed to sneak Advanced Warfare on there at 4th place. But yelling about GOTY lists is basically like yelling about reviews.

Jintor

The problem with Batman for me personally was that the glide kick and choke takedowns were the most reliable attacks but were super boring compared to stuff like pulling off vertical takedowns or planning explosive traps.

that's true. boring but efficient

It's always weird to me that Destiny's 10th place gets all the focus, when Jeff managed to sneak Advanced Warfare on there at 4th place. But yelling about GOTY lists is basically like yelling about reviews.

Jeff is Jeff. No one questions him. It's accepted Jeff will get weird shit into whatever spot he wants, Brad has to fight his game there in any way he can, and it usually requires dirty tactics like fillabusters.

boy this FMV game is the bad kind of bad

it makes Wirehead for sega cd look like a good game

I can't help but find the "We filmed this in my buddy Kyle's suburban house" quality kind of endearing. It's like seeing someone's high school English project.

I wonder how hard it was to clean up all those squibs.

danm999

You're totally right. Did anybody else have that on their lists at all? Is Jeff the true master of the process? Do I need to follow the money?

yami4ct

Jeff gets things into list the 'proper' way. When Brad wants to get something into a list, it becomes a massively silly fight. I enjoy it. It's the best part of the GOTY shows for me, but I can see how people can get annoyed. Can make Brad sound like a bit of a baby.

Myggen

Jeff gets things into list the 'proper' way. When Brad wants to get something into a list, it becomes a massively silly fight. I enjoy it. It's the best part of the GOTY shows for me, but I can see how people can get annoyed. Can make Brad sound like a bit of a baby.

But that's just because the others challenge him on it. Jeff got AW that high without a fight because no one picked a fight about it. That's not Brad's fault. And I'm more talking about that if you're the kind of person who gets upset about a top 10 list, AW at 4th should probably upset you more than Destiny at 10th if you look at the individual lists.

erawsd

Didnt he basically just push it up like two spots at the very end?

yami4ct

But that's just because the others challenge him on it. Jeff got AW that high without a fight because no one picked a fight about it. That's not Brad's fault. And I'm more talking about that if you're the kind of person who gets upset about a top 10 list, AW at 4th should probably upset you more than Destiny at 10th if you look at the individual lists.

I think most of the people that are 'upset' are upset because they didn't enjoy listening to the massive fight at the end of the podcast and because Destiny almost got 'Most Disappointing' so the idea of it making the Top 10 is kind of silly. If Destiny wasn't involved in the Most Disappointing discussion and just got spot 10 without a fight, almost no one would really complain.

Also, OG Destiny is a really easy target to hate on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom