• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

Could anything unseat Witcher for best graphics? I've picked it up again after a few months break and it's just stupid how much better this game looks than anything else.

The Witcher 3 has a ton of really low quality textures, especially in cities and the general IQ is awful unless you're able to play it at 4K. Great lighting, weather effects and atmosphere, but I think there are better looking games out there.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Dat downgrade tho.

I know you're probably kidding but goood these people. It's still the best-looking game out there and they're made because it doesn't look exactly 100% like 2-year old builds. GTFO

We all know which final boss theme is the best.

tumblr_mwovnjYV8l1rsk0loo1_r1_400.gif

I know you're probably kidding but goood these people. It's still the best-looking game out there and they're made because it doesn't look exactly 100% like 2-year old builds. GTFO
They showed nothing but fake footage until less than a month before release, and used the old faked footage in PC trailers up until launch week. One can talk about whether the changes made were acceptable or not but they did flat out misrepresent the game for over a year.

And again, it's my favorite game of the year but that shouldn't excuse the fact that lying is bad.

LiK

Witcher 3 is impressive because of all the stuff in the game. even with the glitches and framerate issues, still amazing to look at on PS4.

Myggen

I'm kidding, yeah.

Witcher 3 is the kind of game you can make to look absolutely awful in screenshots without much effort because of how rough some of the parts look, but the whole package is gorgeous.

Best looking game for me this year? Maybe Batman? For as boring as it is with night and rain all the time, that game looked stunning on a PS4. The PC build will probably kill its chances, a proper PC version would've looked absolutely amazing.

They showed nothing but fake footage until less than a month before release, and used the old faked footage in PC trailers up until launch week. One can talk about whether the changes made were acceptable or not but they did flat out misrepresent the game for over a year.

And again, it's my favorite game of the year but that shouldn't excuse the fact that lying is bad.

Sure, false marketing is bad. But I think people who laugh at the reaction (me included) laugh at how over the top the thread on GAF, on Reddit etc. got when that was happening. And after release people just seemed to forget about it because, hey, it was a good game.

Haven't played Witcher so I'm probably being biased here, but Bloodborne's art direction puts it at #1 for me. That game's areas look soooooooooo good.

The PC version had the missing effects patched in within a week of the launch. There were performance issues, especially above 30 FPS, but it's still a better looking version of the game. I was able to finish it at 4K. *terrible steamscreenshots because I'm too lazy to upload the uncompressed versions to abload

erawsd

Could anything unseat Witcher for best graphics? I've picked it up again after a few months break and it's just stupid how much better this game looks than anything else.

At a glance, I think games like Arkham Knight and The Order are better looking. However, the scale and scope of Witcher blows them away, so its not really a proper comparison.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I completely forgot that Rebel Galaxy was from the Runic founders that left during Torchlight 2.

Also it's an indie game in 2015 releasing when it's done and not in early access.

I'm buying all of Rebel Galaxy tomorrow.

tuxfool

Banned

I'm sorry but that is utter BS. They were showing the final engine about a year before release. They had entire 40 minute demos available for people to see the game in a similar state to final release.

Yes, they had earlier footage still available, but the vast majority of the media they released looked like the final game.

I'm sorry but that is utter BS. They were showing the final engine about a year before release.
I'm mostly just annoyed that a lot of the 2013 reveal footage was used in trailers directly until release. Same with the swamps being shown with the 2014 lighting shaders.

They might have shown 40 minute builds of uncut gameplay but the trailers leading up to release had a lot of old, no longer in the game, effects being used. And I think the horrible backlash people here are complaining about didn't really exist. People pointed out where they had been misleading and then bought and enjoyed the game. The horror!

Hm, but does that make Witcher count for any less? I mean, the category isn't "Best looking game across platforms."
Unity should have won last year then but unfortunately the PC version got ignored. Incredible lighting and great texture work throughout.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm mostly just annoyed that a lot of the 2013 reveal footage was used in trailers directly until release. Same with the swamps being shown with the 2014 lighting shaders.

They might have shown 40 minute builds of uncut gameplay but the trailers leading up to release had a lot of old, no longer in the game, effects being used.

There was very little of it. None of the release trailers included any of that stuff, the Sword of Destiny trailer (released at e3 2014) had nothing of the old engine. The last trailer that I saw containing footage from the old engine was the VGX trailer (Dec. 2013).

There was very little of it. None of the release trailers included any of that stuff, the Sword of Destiny trailer (released at e3 2014) had nothing of the old engine.
Most of the Sword of Destiny trailer has scenes or effects that aren't in the retail game. Ie, that scene of the town on fire looks completely different in the final game.

erawsd

I'm sorry but that is utter BS. They were showing the final engine about a year before release. They had entire 40 minute demos available for people to see the game in a similar state to final release.

Yes, they had earlier footage still available, but the vast majority of the media they released looked like the final game.

Yeah, it wasnt even a straight downgrade. The lighting and particle effects took a hit. Meanwhile, the character models and animations were all improved in the final game.

Regarding the Witcher 3 downgrade, I still think it looks great, but man did it look fucking great when they first started showing it.

Unity should have one last year then but unfortunately the PC version got ignored. Incredible lighting and great texture work throughout.

But that game also had a ton of bugs on PC that were directly related to its visuals. I do agree that in its ideal state Unity was the best looking game last year though.

The big visual bugs in Unity that were exclusive to the PC version were patched out day one. Ie, the famous x-ray faces.

Really annoyed it never got the promised tessellation patch(which last we heard in February was still coming, lol) Still waiting Nvidia!

chrixter

I'm now reminded of how Destiny was about to win best looking game last year until someone (was it Jason?) brought up Guilty Gear Xrd and stole the category.

tuxfool

Banned
Most of the Sword of Destiny trailer has scenes or effects that aren't in the retail game. Ie, that scene of the town on fire looks completely different in the final game.

That was the same engine. They did turn down the fire effects.

Another example is that there are fewer smoke stacks from chimneys in the game.

Are these really egregious examples?

omgkitty

After that GFB podcast with Johnny V, I decided to go back and rewatch the E3 day 3 live show, and fuck that's seriously the funniest thing that's every happened on Giant Bomb. The whole hour is gold.

As someone who has spent 60 hours with the game most of the scenes that are present in that trailer look very different with the changes they made. You might think it looks good(which it does) but there are massive changes to the lighting and IQ. Ie, you have to play at 4K or above or you will experience lots of dithering. I think it's just as obvious as the Dark Souls 2 downgrade, although in that case it had a direct effect on promised mechanics they had talked about. Ie, no longer had to use torches to navigate darkness.

Still enjoyed both of those games!

After that GFB podcast with Johnny V, I decided to go back and rewatch the E3 day 3 live show, and fuck that's seriously the funniest thing that's every happened on Giant Bomb. The whole hour is gold.

I still haven't seen that. It's so hard for me to watch the interview stuff because it's all soooo boring.

tuxfool

Banned
As someone who has spent 60 hours with the game most of the scenes that are present in that trailer look very different with the changes they made. You might think it looks good(which it does) but there are massive changes to the lighting and IQ. Ie, you have to play at 4K or above or you will experience lots of dithering. I think it's just as obvious as the Dark Souls 2 downgrade, although in that case it had an obvious effect on promised mechanics they had talked about. Ie, had to use torches to navigate darkness.

Still enjoyed both of those games!

I'm not arguing that they don't look slightly different. They do. But the difference isn't particularly striking.

The lighting in the old engine was sublime but they stopped releasing trailers using that footage after december 2013.

IQ is nonsense wherever you go when dealing with official media. They nearly always downsample footage to make it look better. At the same time they released plenty of footage of the game running in real time. They gave Youtubers access to hours of gameplay.

The simple fact is that changes happen all the way until the game is released. I daresay I would demand proof that beyond a few specific examples you could point out massive changes across the board in the game from footage released up to a year earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom