• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now reminded of how Destiny was about to win best looking game last year until someone (was it Jason?) brought up Guilty Gear Xrd and stole the category.

giphy.gif

The big visual bugs in Unity that were exclusive to the PC version were patched out day one. Ie, the famous x-ray faces.

I did not realize that. Goes to show how, if you fuck up out the gate, perception may never recover.

I'll get Unity eventually, maybe when it's like $5 on a Steam sale. I still haven't finished 3, which is the last Creed game I played.

There is a very large thread that spans over a hundred pages showing very specific examples of the numerous downgrades.

Have fun! Again, it's still a good looking game at most times but acting like the downgrade wasn't extensive is silly.

I did not realize that. Goes to show how, if you fuck up out the gate, perception may never recover.

I'll get Unity eventually, maybe when it's like $5 on a Steam sale. I still haven't finished 3, which is the last Creed game I played.
Indeed, that x-ray face became a meme for the game on the PC which is a shame given it was fixed at launch but oh well. Game runs great now(wasn't awful at launch) and still looks amazing, and I'd argue that overall it's still the best looking game available on any platform.

tuxfool

Banned
There is a very large thread that spans over a hundred pages showing very specific examples of the numerous downgrades.
Have fun!

That thread was full of circular arguments and utterly specious examples from poorly sourced footage and wilful ignorance. I was in that thread for a considerable span.

Just look at that first post. Nobody is arguing that the engine wasn't changed and that their initial examples didn't look better in many ways. My argument is that looking at all footage up to a year before the game released is fairly accurate.

When are alphas and pre-release footage ever representative of the final game? Like, come on.

A single asterisk would've killed this entire debate from the get-go, had CDPR shown some foresight.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm sure you defended the game's honor ably.

It isn't a question of honor. It is a question of what it means to lie about a games final appearance.

Should developers make marketing materials early on? How do they know what the game is going to look like 2 years later?

If you look at late marketing materials you can clearly see that they're fairly accurately representing the game.

When are alphas and pre-release footage ever representative of the final game? Like, come on.

A single asterisk would've killed this entire debate from the get-go, had CDPR shown some foresight.

Yes this is surely a messaging mistake. However, I'd argue people on a gaming forum should have a certain amount of awareness of game development cycles. Obviously more recent footage is more veritable than earlier footage. They should have also more clearly stated that the older footage was from an old engine. There were statements made in interviews that alluded to this but they didn't reach wide circulation.

Zornack

No one is going to deny that TW3 looks different than old footage, it's got a softer look and a more vibrant pallet, that much is obvious, but it is not a downgrade.

When stuff like this is used as evidence the argument is flawed. TW3 does not look like that.

There are notable exceptions, but usually games look better than early footage...unless the footage is bullshit.

AcridMeat

Banned
Read a synopsis and watch the ending on YouTube.

Unless you really care about the lore of the Hotline Miami world and the origins/endings to a bunch of plotlines it's kind of hard to recommend playing through.
If you liked Hotline Miami but thought "Man, I wish those levels were much larger!" and "I wish melee weapons were useless because every enemey is carrying a gun" and "Wow, I really wish I was being shot from outside the screen more!" than you should play this game.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that's unfortunate. :/

I totally forgot RAW was on because I'm waiting for the Eagles game. Anything good happen?

They opened with Stone Cold and he got a really big pop.

You should really watch it when you can. Otherwise nothing much so far. Opening with New Day who are as great as always, though you start to worry how fresh they can keep their skits when Vince isn't giving them much to work with.

Lunar FC

Only with Giant Bomb mocking how ridiculous all that stupid shit is. And in the days before readily available streaming videos I was waiting for new announcements, not for a trailer of a known quantity.

I can understand that. Usually i'll watch the first trailer of something and if it grabs me i'll go on blackout until the movie/show/game is released. Mostly because they like telling the ENTIRE story in the trailer these days, it's insane.

Rainmaker

Banned
They opened with Stone Cold and he got a really big pop.

You should really watch it when you can. Otherwise nothing much so far. Opening with New Day who are as great as always, though you start to worry how fresh they can keep their skits when Vince isn't giving them much to work with.

I was getting a very "this is going downhill" vibe from New Day tonight for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom