• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh is it not on crunchyroll? I figured it would be so I was going for a goof. "unlimited" anime my ass.

but thank you for the very useful information! I'm gonna dig in after monday night football.

it's on hulu too

why are you so mainstream

I sat here for a minute trying to think of an underground anime joke but I've got nothing

fake edit: Gurren Lagann is pretty underground

I don't feel bad about that joke

fake edit: Gurren Lagann is pretty underground

I don't feel bad about that joke

tumblr_nbi2hwarXu1sgtx3io1_500.gif

Bacon

[Compare and contrast Drew Scanlon's playthrough of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots to your ephemeral play through of MGS4 that you think you remember from 7 years ago. Place focus on the concept of "experiencing the game the right way", and be sure to psychoanalyse all participants. This essay portion will constitute 20 points to your final grade.]

This is a goat forum post

This is what I'm saying.

edit: "I wore an all white track suit and a ski mask (to a masquerade party)"

Maybe this isn't the person to be agreeing with.

But what about those of us who basically know nothing about the movie? Oh wait I still know basically nothing about the movie after watching that trailer.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
But what about those of us who basically know nothing about the movie? Oh wait I still know basically nothing about the movie after watching that trailer.

I haven't watched it either. I assume there are space ships, and lasers, and hopefully that black guy a lot because it's fun to watch those people get really fucking angry about him, and probably that guy with the ridiculous tiny laser guards on his laser sword. Some sand, probably some ice, and maybe even a temperate planet. Ominous voice, loud booming noise, silence, fade to title, end of trailer stinger. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about the movie I'm sure.

hamchan

Sometimes I wonder how dire the video content on this site would be if they hadn't hired Dan

It would be dreadful. Just imagine that a whole year GBEast took to set up but without Dan there to fill the void. This website would be like dead.

Anime streaming right now is an arms race between CR and Funimation. Daisuki is a hulu style consortium of Japanese studios trying to get in on that money directly, so they also have exclusive deals. Honestly, it feels like a scary bubble that could crash at any moment. I really hope not, but there's some weird shit going down.

I will say though, that all these streaming services have successfully converted me from pirating all anime to subbing to CR, Funi and Hulu. I don't know if their business models are sustainable or anything but they've done the first step of getting their hooks in me.

yami4ct

I will say though, that all these streaming services have successfully converted me from pirating all anime to subbing to CR, Funi and Hulu. I don't know if their business models are sustainable or anything but they've done the first step of getting their hooks in me.

These sites are absolutely a major step in the right direction for the industry in the West. They just need to be way more careful about what they license and how much they pay. If anything is going to kill them, it's this arms race of paying for exclusives that have a substantial chance of not paying off.

Not everything is going to be the next Attack on Titan. You can't build a model assuming you're gonna hit that.

Anjin M

These sites are absolutely a major step in the right direction for the industry in the West. They just need to be way more careful about what they license and how much they pay. If anything is going to kill them, it's this arms race of paying for exclusives that have a substantial chance of not paying off.

Not everything is going to be the next Attack on Titan. You can't build a model assuming you're gonna hit that.
It's funny. This reads exactly like how manga boomed and busted in the US. Hopefully streaming anime doesn't follow the same trajectory.

Megasoum

Banned
omfg I wannnnaaaa diiieeeee

I visited my parents over the week-end and noticed that their wifi was wide open... So I set it up with proper password and mac filterning. I setup the laptop, phone and ipad so everything was working fine when I left.

Now my mom just called me at midnight to tell me that the printer wasn't working anymore... Totally forgot that it was using wifi...

I can remote desktop to the pc to setup the linksys stuff but I still had to walk her through the stupid LCD screen on the printer to get the MAC adress and then get her to go through the wifi wizard again and put in the password (took her three tries)....

Goddamit I hate being the official family IT guy... Especially at midnight on a week day.

Jintor

It's funny. This reads exactly like how manga boomed and busted in the US. Hopefully streaming anime doesn't follow the same trajectory.

The Tokyopop crash was terrible, though I hear the European arms survived fairly intact... wonder what the differences was. Anyway, Seven Seas and Yen Press and other guys are cleaning up the scene these days.

yami4ct

The problem manga has that streaming doesn't is they had to deal with unsold physical goods. When something didn't hit, it hurt those companies exponentially worse. Without that, hopefully streaming companies can see issues coming and pivot. Sunk cost fallacy business decisions could still cause huge issues, though.

The success of Space Dandy emboldened Funi in a huge way. It might really hurt them in the end. They've even gotten into co-producing shows which is really, really dangerous turf.

danm999

I visited my parents over the week-end and noticed that their wifi was wide open... So I set it up with proper password and mac filterning. I setup the laptop, phone and ipad so everything was working fine when I left.

Now my mom just called me at midnight to tell me that the printer wasn't working anymore... Totally forgot that it was using wifi...

I can remote desktop to the pc to setup the linksys stuff but I still had to walk her through the stupid LCD screen on the printer to get the MAC adress and then get her to go through the wifi wizard again and put in the password (took her three tries)....

Goddamit I hate being the official family IT guy... Especially at midnight on a week day.

Never let people know you understand computers.

Man do I know this pain way too well lol.

Oh gosh, this is the worst. Reminds me of when I built my mom's PC for her last year for her birthday. I partitioned (you can already see my mistake) a separate E drive and said to save everything on that so in case Windows messes up, nothing important is lost. This year, Windows corrupts and turns out all her files were saved on the Desktop.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Maybe they're taking a cue from MGSV and adding engram insurance so you don't lose your shit.

I have no god damned idea what an engram is

yami4ct

PC version pls

I feel like if that was happening, it would've already. If it does happen, it'll likely be Destiny 2.

As for the 'interesting' news, I honestly have very little idea. My gut would be some sort of purely F2P supported version, maybe without Taken King, but that seems really soon to launch something like that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've been watching this Tail of the Sun replay from Game Informer and I can't figure out whether I'm starting to become endeared toward this game or if it's just Dan's idiot glee rubbing off on me. I'm having a hard time believing that this game was actually released, let alone in the US. It looks like somebody's half translation of a game concept from a Japanese magazine review.

"Apparently there's this game in Japan, where you play a caveman that sometimes has a bird head or facepaint, and you are trying to climb to the sun so you have to eat sugar cakes and kill mammoths but avoid the blue pig in the early game? It got a 31/40, which I am pretty sure is good."

I feel like if that was happening, it would've already. If it does happen, it'll likely be Destiny 2.

As for the 'interesting' news, I honestly have very little idea. My gut would be some sort of purely F2P supported version, maybe without Taken King, but that seems really soon to launch something like that.

It worked for GTAV, I'm sure they could use the double dip and new PC buyers money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom