• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I had to laugh watching the Star Wars trailer because it was basically a constant barrage of "Hey, I remember that! From the good movies!" Music, themes, characters, locations, actors etc.
Not saying it didn't look good though.

danm999

I had to laugh watching the Star Wars trailer because it was basically a constant barrage of "Hey, I remember that! From the good movies!" Music, themes, characters, locations, actors etc.

There's practical effects! On location filming! People emoting!

I'm going to watch it now.

Edit: Disappointed. I was expecting more blind nostalgia.

Myggen

Gl9MAdp.jpg

Source

yami4ct

Just finished Life is Strange Episode 5. Guys, I think they did it. Man.

LiS for GotY, Best Story, Best Moment, Best Surprise and Best Soundtrack.

I'm just gonna sit over here and cry my eyes out.

tchocky

Just finished Life is Strange Episode 5. Guys, I think they did it. Man.

LiS for GotY, Best Story, Best Moment, Best Surprise and Best Soundtrack.

I'm just gonna sit over here and cry my eyes out.

Agree with everything in this post.

I liked the ideas/setting of Remember Me but the combat was so bad I couldn't keep playing so glad they concentrated on story and characters with LiS.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
dan is probably the weirdest member of the entire cast at this point.

pretty weird for a perfectly normal guy who does normal guy things like a normal guy

The irony of his normal guy identity is one of my favourite things about him.

He tries so hard that it wraps around.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhhh I can't wait to get into LiS ep 5. So excited.

Also the Star Wars trailer got me a little emotional. I loved those movies as a kid and it looks like they're doing right by it. There was a time I thought I'd never be into Star Wars again but man, they're doing it.

Fantastapotamus

I really liked the last Episode of LiS. Ending was a bit predicatable but at least there was a twist, that satisfied me. Great game overall. I usually can't stand the Telltale-model of games but I know learned that might be because I just don't care for Telltale's games.

justjim89

someone spoiler tag the ending and explain it please.

the wiki page cuts off at ep 4.

Max ultimately has to choose between going back to the butterfly picture and letting Chloe die, or letting the tornado wipe out the town and everyone in it. After you spend the whole episode trying to find a timeline where Chloe is back. Because apparently Chloe or the town is just meant to die. I said fuck the town and chose Chloe. Fuck the obvious ending. It's a bullshit choice.

If you sacrifice Chloe you let her die but fix everything else and it ends with everyone at Chloe's funeral. If you choose Chloe you and her drive out of town while everyone and everything else is dead and destroyed.

Fuck that ending. I hated it more than when Telltale made Clem have to shoot Lee.

danm999

Max ultimately has to choose between going back to the butterfly picture and letting Chloe die, or letting the tornado wipe out the town and everyone in it. After you spend the whole episode trying to find a timeline where Chloe is back. Because apparently Chloe or the town is just meant to die. I said fuck the town and chose Chloe. Fuck the obvious ending. It's a bullshit choice.

If you sacrifice Chloe you let her die but fix everything else and it ends with everyone at Chloe's funeral. If you choose Chloe you and her drive out of town while everyone and everything else is dead and destroyed.

Fuck that ending. I hated it more than when Telltale made Clem have to shoot Lee.

I chose to save Chloe as well initially (but went back and looked at the other ending).

But man, talk about making good on choices.

Fantastapotamus

I chose to save Chloe as well initially (but went back and looked at the other ending).

But man, talk about making good on choices.

Did it though?
In the end basically nothing you did matters. Either you start all over or everybody is dead. I also saved Chloe, because fuck that town and fuck the obvious "good" ending. Going back and letting Chloe die was the most obvious ending possible, so didn't choose it. Also it makes no sense. I always countered the "Well, obviously Chloe has to do die!" argument with "But then why did you get time powers just at that moment?" because I hoped there would be a bit more to it. Sadly not, but at least the game gave me a choice.

Both of you are monsters and chose wrong.
I didn't like anybody besides Chloe anyway, so fuck that town :p

danm999

Did it though?
In the end basically nothing you did matters. Either you start all over or everybody is dead. I also saved Chloe, because fuck that town and fuck the obvious "good" ending. Going back and letting Chloe die was the most obvious ending possible, so didn't choose it. Also it makes no sense. I always countered the "Well, obviously Chloe has to do die!" argument with "But then why did you get time powers just at that moment?" because I hoped there would be a bit more to it. Sadly not, but at least the game gave me a choice.

I didn't like anybody besides Chloe anyway, so fuck that town :p

The ending choice I should say. You're correct that most of your bigger choices from previous episodes didn't play in.

danm999

Fuck that. Max got powers to save Chloe. It's not Max's fault no one else thought to go to the light house.
It's a bullshit choice, anyhow.

Yeah that's where I'm at. Why give me the powers if you don't want me to use them?

And the game at that point seemed pretty clearly to be delivering a message "STOP USING YOUR POWERS YOU'RE BAD AT THIS AND MAKING IT ALL WORSE" so I didn't feel using them yet again was a good movie.

Fantastapotamus

Yeah that's where I'm at. Why give me the powers if you don't want me to use them?

And the game at that point seemed pretty clearly to be delivering a message "STOP USING YOUR POWERS YOU'RE BAD AT THIS AND MAKING IT ALL WORSE" so I didn't feel using them yet again was a good movie.

Yap. I mean the game starts with her vision of that tornado, even before everything happened. I always interpeted that as "This is what is supposed to happen. Here, have some time powers to make it so."

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who still likes "Happy endings". What's wrong with having a good feeling after watching/playing something? But I guess all the critics in the world hate it (see Patrick's article about it) since it's "cliche" and whatnot. Thought I would argue at this point having a "sad" ending is even more cliche. That's why I loved Portal 2 so much, cause the entire game I knew "This won't end well. There is no way this can end well". And then it did. Which was just cool.
But the fact that I think about the ending and care about it is just a sign that I liked the game.

danm999

Yap. I mean the game starts with her vision of that tornado, even before everything happened. I always interpeted that as "This is what is supposed to happen. Here, have some time powers to make it so."

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who still likes "Happy endings". What's wrong with having a good feeling after watching/playing something? But I guess all the critics in the world hate it (see Patrick's article about it) since it's "cliche" and whatnot. Thought I would argue at this point having a "sad" ending is even more cliche. That's why I loved Portal 2 so much, cause the entire game I knew "This won't end well. There is no way this can end well". And then it did. Which was just cool.
But the fact that I think about the ending and care about it is just a sign that I liked the game.

I pretty much interpret the driving out of Arcadia Bay as the "happy ending" for Max and Chloe.

jgminto

Without getting into specifics, I will say that LiS' ending works better than any other game story of that format I've played so far (Telltale, Mass Effect). Partially because it is consistent with the story up to that point and also because of the general strength of the writing. My journey through the game still felt personal even within the limitations of the format and I felt like I developed a unique set of values for Max through and made an impact on her character while not being a complete player avatar. I'll probably never watch or replay the game to keep that sense of personal connection with my story of Max & Chloe.

danm999

Patrick Klepek, a little known Youtube and professional torture victim of Dan Ryckert seemed to enjoy it;

Agree with everything in this post.

I liked the ideas/setting of Remember Me but the combat was so bad I couldn't keep playing so glad they concentrated on story and characters with LiS.

Yeah if GBEast finishes it, it seems like a perfect candidate for Best Surprise.

Developer had a spotty debut, its based around time travel and teenagers (two concepts that never usually produce good stuff), it's episodic, it was released in a relatively timely manner for that type of game, etc.

Dontnod's next thing I will likely buy day one at this point.

Megasoum

Banned
I really need to play Life is Strange at some point lol... Especially considering I worked on it and had the full thing on steam since day 1 lol...Ugh... One day.

I've been watching this Tail of the Sun replay from Game Informer and I can't figure out whether I'm starting to become endeared toward this game or if it's just Dan's idiot glee rubbing off on me.

like, it's kind of legitimately a good game, even today. but I still can't believe it got localized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom