• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

wh4so2r.png
Qw4WYzn.png

9BrzAMJ.png
VyFj5LS.png

Oh god, I'm in fucking tears. The last part with Jeff seals the deal.

Sakwoff

lustige taschenbücher 4 lyfe

!!!

My childhood, right there.

Carl Barks, translated into German by Dr. Erika Fuchs is where it's really at though. Complete brilliance and one of the few cases where I actually like a translated version more. Was kind of taken aback years later by how comparatively dryly written the originals are.

kAmui-

"That was complete horse shit" says Dan Ryckert as he falls into same kind of death trap that he has used many times in his Mario Maker levels

Myggen

"That was complete horse shit" says Dan Ryckert as he falls into same kind of death trap that he has used many times in his Mario Maker levels

I think Dan would be the first to admit that those Mario Maker designs are "complete horse shit".

In December of 2014, Diablo III director Josh Mosqueira and a few other members of his team at Blizzard came to Bungie for a talk, according to two people who were there. The parallels were uncanny; Diablo III had launched to commercial success in 2012 but saw a great deal of criticism from fans thanks to randomized loot, frustrating online DRM, and a lack of endgame content. Both games shared a publisher, Activision, that thought Destiny could redeem itself in fans’ eyes the way Diablo III eventually had after its release.

“They basically came in and said, ‘Look, here’s our story of developing Diablo III and then bringing in [the expansion] Reaper of Souls,’” said one person who was at the Blizzard talk. “They were saying, like, ‘Hey, random numbers are not fun—dice rolls are not fun. You can give the illusion of randomness, but you want to weight it towards the player… The only point you have to deliver on is that when people leave your game—because they will—when they leave your game, they need to be happy.’”

People who were at the presentation say it was extraordinarily helpful for Bungie’s team. One source called it “invaluable.” Others said it drove some of the decisions they made for The Taken King. In previous interviews with Kotaku and other sites, director Luke Smith has talked openly about avoiding randomness and designing quests with guaranteed rewards, an approach that has served Destiny well throughout year two so far. Destiny’s meta-narrative has followed the same path as Diablo III’s: It had a rocky launch, then the developers found redemption.

loooooooooool

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'd be happy for them to move on to something else this time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Patrick needs to compress the audio range on his streams. Too quiet most of the time, then he yells and it's way too loud.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
They should really just finished Episode 1, then play something different, then come back to LiS etc. I really don't want them to just play LiS for the next 3 months

Patryn

The true shame of the Destiny article is that it dropped on a Tuesday, which likely means no discussion of it on the Bombcast.

Because I'd love to hear Brad and Jeff's thoughts on it.

fuzzyset

Everyone enjoys a good old game of soggy biscuit

How to fix your game? Paid expansion! The Activision Way™

Still not bought Reaper of Souls on principle, even though it's killing me a little bit.

Every Blizzard game does expansions. It's not like the game is still shit if you didn't buy the xpac. They overhauled the base game too.

Lelcar

They almost completed episode 1 last week, I think three months is a big overestimate.

Yeah,
with the exception of the No Go Show
, Vinny has been very fast and diligent in completing his features. VinnyVania, Contradiction, Until Dawn, he's just been non stop progress recently.

Zaph

I mean, Blizzard did those kind of expansions long before Activision.

Sure, but never to fix such a broken game. D2 had a lot of problems which were fixed in LoD, but no where close to the issues of D3. Blizzard managed to forget the core loops which make a loot grind game fun, took ages to concede how bad it was, then used the fixes to promote a paid expansion.

On the plus side, at least the vacuum allowed a tiny Australian studio to flourish with Path of Exile.

Every Blizzard game does expansions. It's not like the game is still shit if you didn't buy the xpac. They overhauled the base game too.
As above. Fixes to the base game took far too long in order to be timed to the expansion.

Myggen

They should really consider it. Seems like they just miss big news every week.

Recording on Monday is probably because of scheduling reasons more than anything else. If it was practical for them to record on Tuesdays they would've started years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom