• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody remember which GB video is the one where they're watching a bunch of old crack intros full of ridiculous greetz and callouts?

tumblr_m92hstiRax1qme7wt.gif

Thanks duder!

Myggen

I wonder if anyone in the industry really dislikes when GB talks as openly about emulators of even last gen consoles as they do on this Bombcast. I'm fascinated by that sort of stuff, but it's kind of surprising that they're still so open about it even when they're owned by CBSi. I'm probably overestimating how frowned upon it is.

I wonder if anyone in the industry really dislikes when GB talks as openly about emulators of even last gen consoles as they do on this Bombcast. I'm fascinated by that sort of stuff, but it's kind of surprising that they're still so open about it even when they're owned by CBSi. I'm probably overestimating how frowned upon it is.

I doubt they're advocating stealing the roms. the actual hardware emulation is much more grey area though and it's also fascinating.

Emulators are completely legal in every way.

unless they require a bios dump, but yeah. actually the more recent generations with discrete OS's might also be questionable. but emulating the hardware itself is totally fine.

danm999

Emulators are pretty ok as long as you're not getting the roms illegally I thought.

Might be wrong on that though, the law is probably not super clear.

It's all typically super old shit that's super dated and they're using them for the purpose of coverage, when they could certainly get their physical hands on them if The Gerstmann Museum is somehow missing something.

Man.... I really wish Dan wasn't the one doing the Bombastica on Quackshot. Isn't the whole point of them to teach the audience things they don't know? Dan constantly shitting on Disney and not even knowing Gyro Gearloose's name is borderline insulting. Sure I am a Disney fan but the last thing I want is Dan driving this game and crapping all over something he has gone on record multiple times saying he doesn't like nor does he know anything about. I was excited when I saw this on the schedule and now I don't think I can get passed the first 20 mins of this thing.

It really wasn't that bad. Sure he doesn't remember Gyros name, but Dan doesn't actually crap over it. If anything, he is fond of the game and wanted to share it with people. That and he remembers exactly what to do to a T.

Teddified

Witcher talk makes me sad ;_;

If Dan ends up Youtubing the ending he'll loose all the impact since it's all about choices and what you choose to say that makes the game and the scenarios meaningful.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can't even tell if you are serious with the creepy "Dan is getting a baby" talk.
it's on

Brad / Jeff / Dan I hope

Fg7zwSK.png

Pretty sure it'll be Alex and Vinny. Vinny and Ryan were the only ones who really liked AC when it was good and Alex played both Unity and Rogue last year.

Do they actively dislike the Witcher 3? It is a challenging rpg with interesting, layered writing I suppose.

I don't think they actively dislike it. Brad liked it but kinda fell off playing it. Same with Dan, and he felt it didn't evolve introduce enough new mechanics as it went on (comparing it to MGSV and new tools and guns), Jeff didn't like the movement and didn't play much of it after they changed it. I don't recall what any of the East folks have said about it.

Myggen

Do they actively dislike the Witcher 3? It is a challenging rpg with interesting, layered writing I suppose.

They don't. Dan likes the world and the writing and is pretty far in, but just didn't find the motivation to play through the rest of the game when he picked it up again. Brad also likes the world and the writing, but isn't a big fan of how it plays. Jeff isn't a fan, but that's not really a game I would expect him to like all that much.

justjim89

Dan gave up on The Witcher 3 to play more Destiny.

Fuck Dan, he's part of the problem.

Seriously though, it's really disheartening to hear how they basically universally soured on Witcher 3. It's the best game of the past several years and knowing it may not even break the top five while some half-finished exploitative gross bullshit like MGSV gets GOTY bums me out.

It's their list and obviously they're not beholden to play what I want them to play or like what i want them to like, but fuck the Witcher 3 is just so good and there probably won't be anyone singing its praises in December.

"Yeah, it was fine but it was too long."

"It was basically impossible to move your character."

"The inventory screen literally murdered my family."

"Look at how many patches they needed just to fix it."

"It's no Fallout, that's for sure."

Edit: He's still probably like 10-15 hours at least from beating the game. He hasn't even seen the
Battle of Kaer Morhen
yet, and that's one of the best scenes of the game.

Dan gave up on The Witcher 3 to play more Destiny.

Fuck Dan, he's part of the problem.

Seriously though, it's really disheartening to hear how they basically universally soured on Witcher 3. It's the best game of the past several years and knowing it may not even break the top five while some half-finished exploitative gross bullshit like MGSV gets GOTY bums me out.

It's their list and obviously they're not beholden to play what I want them to play or like what i want them to like, but fuck the Witcher 3 is just so good and there probably won't be anyone singing its praises in December.

"Yeah, it was fine but it was too long."

"It was basically impossible to move your character."

"The inventory screen literally murdered my family."

"Look at how many patches they needed just to fix it."

"It's no Fallout, that's for sure."

There's gonna be A LOT of anger when The Witcher 3 doesn't make their top 10.

Nah, I'm sure people won't mind much.

I don't think there's any way The Witcher 3 won't at least make the top ten.

If this was 2014.

justjim89

I mean, at this point fuck it. Turn it around completely. Witcher 3 for Giant Bomb's Most Disappointing Game. It's definitely not MGSV, after all.

I mean, at this point fuck it. Turn it around completely. Witcher 3 for Giant Bomb's Most Disappointing Game. It's definitely not MGSV, after all.

The Witcher 3 is a good game but imo in regards to gameplay itself it falls far behind games like MGSV, Mario Maker and even stuff like Rocket League, the core gameplay loops of those games are much more entertaining and gripping. W3 is very strong in story telling and world building but the gameplay didn't grab any of them enough to stick with it. Hell, I love RPGs and I didn't even beat it because I found the combat so dull.

TraBuch

Banned
Mario Maker
MGS V
Just Cause 3
Fallout 4
Undertale
Dying Light
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Life is Strange
Her Story
Rocket League
Splatoon
Black Ops 3
Halo 5
Axiom Verge
Galax-Z

I could definitely see all those games being ahead of The Witcher 3 based on what they've said. I know I'm forgetting some games they really dug. How much did they like Grow Home?

I really don't care what they pick I just like the drama, I secretly hope they pick some dark horse games that make people lose their minds. I mean people still haven't forgiven Jeff over his Driveclub review.

justjim89

Just for clarification, I don't mean to seem overly whiny. And I'm certainly not one to say "If this game doesn't win GOTY then Giant Bomb loses all credibility," or anything absurd like that. I'm just bummed it looks like none of the guys will even finish it.

Ehhh, if the Witcher 3 completely falls off of their list, it doesn't bother me. I think it's the best game to come out in years but they couldn't find the drive to come close to finishing it. It wouldn't make sense for any of them to push for it. I'm more bothered by the bullshit that MGS V is going to get away with. I can see the argument for giving it their GOTY but that slimy bullshit Konami's is layering on post launch, I hate to see it rewarded.

Mario Maker
MGS V
Just Cause 3
Fallout 4
Undertale
Dying Light
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Life is Strange
Her Story
Rocket League
Splatoon
Black Ops 3
Halo 5
Axiom Verge
Galax-Z

I could definitely see all those games being ahead of The Witcher 3 based on what they've said. I know I'm forgetting some games they really dug. How much did they like Grow Home?

Brad really likes Grow Home and I think Dan likes to too. Not sure any of them outside of those two have played it.

Not sure what they thought about Ori and the Blind Forest. I hear its good, but haven't played it myself yet.

Mario Maker
MGS V
Just Cause 3
Fallout 4
Undertale
Dying Light
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Life is Strange
Her Story
Rocket League
Splatoon
Black Ops 3
Halo 5
Axiom Verge
Galax-Z

That's a pretty solid list, I think it'll be interesting to hear if anyone fights enough for The Witcher 3, they all recognize it as a good game so I guess it will come down to who or if anyone argues for it.

Mario Maker
MGS V
Just Cause 3
Fallout 4
Undertale
Dying Light
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Life is Strange
Her Story
Rocket League
Splatoon
Black Ops 3
Halo 5
Axiom Verge
Galax-Z

At least DOTA isn't on that list.

justjim89

Ehhh, if the Witcher 3 completely falls off of their list, it doesn't bother me. I think it's the best game to come out in years but they couldn't find the drive to come close to finishing it. It wouldn't make sense for any of them to push for it. I'm more bothered by the bullshit that MGS V is going to get away with. I can see the argument for giving it their GOTY but that slimy bullshit Konami's is layering on post launch, I hate to see it rewarded.

That's part of my frustration as well. Act 2 of that game is an abomination. Quiet is emblematic of all the problems with Kojima in terms of dealing with women. This FOB insurance, heavy push towards online play and the buying of MB coins is completely fucking gross, though. Yes, the sneaking is fun. The action is good. The core gameplay loop is pretty satisfying. But all the shit around it stinks so much, and it really ought not be rewarded.

danm999

Yeah no arguments that CDPR and Konami are polar opposites on how to handle post release support.

Pushing you into the FOB stuff in a big way but having zero cheat prevention is messed up as shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom