• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Hiffie. This was supposed to be a Wednesday thing right? Or am I losing it?

edit: Uhh my video just plays for 5 seconds and then stops. Anybody else having this problem?
edit 2: html 5 works I guess. Strange.
edit 3: All video options are trash. Blehhh, I made grub and everything for this.

It's up on YouTube.

I think Brad said that the GBeast guys were looking at him. Him and Rorie also both seemed to display a small amount of curiosity in the game

Excellent.

I want to see a cross-coast DMing session. The next opportunity won't be until Divinity: Original Sin 2 releases in 20XX.

No no I mean, I'm saying that the Taken King mayhaps will make the mainlist. It'll be history.

Then DotA 2 would be on the list because Brad's the only one that plays it and it is that incredible. It'll also open the floodgates for all the remasters floating around.

Jeff won't want to set such a horrible precedent.

Then DotA 2 would be on the list because Brad's the only one that plays it and it is that incredible. It'll also open the floodgates for all the remasters floating around.

But that hasn't had a major xpac that change the gameplay and added alot to the base game~

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cities Skylines and Splatoon are really the only two games this year I've really stuck with and felt like games I'll keep coming back to next year.

I really liked Mad Max, particularly on PC, but I can't see myself ever going back to it.

danm999

I think you're right.

They've been extremely strict about keeping to first releases of base games as criteria for eligibility in the past.

Teddified

Yeah maybe I'm wrong but I think Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls was disqualified last year, and it's pretty similar to Destiny TKK's situation.

erawsd

Just for clarification, I don't mean to seem overly whiny. And I'm certainly not one to say "If this game doesn't win GOTY then Giant Bomb loses all credibility," or anything absurd like that. I'm just bummed it looks like none of the guys will even finish it.

That shouldn't be surprising, Giantbomb has always been super selective when it comes to RPGs. Bethseda's stuff has been the exception but those games are unique in that its the all you can eat buffet of videogames. You get what you want out of it and its easy to walk away when you've had your fill. I don't mean that in a disparaging way either, I think its a pretty brilliant design that Witcher could have benefited from.

yami4ct

Just for clarification, I don't mean to seem overly whiny. And I'm certainly not one to say "If this game doesn't win GOTY then Giant Bomb loses all credibility," or anything absurd like that. I'm just bummed it looks like none of the guys will even finish it.

Witcher 3 is a game that once you stop playing, it's nearly impossible to get your momentum back. That's not necessarily a criticism of the game, but it's just the way things go. Given their job is to play everything, it's not surprising that can't get back into it.

Only thing I didn't like was how indignant Dan seemed about losing that momentum. He definitely threw that fault at the game, but that's just Dan being Dan.

Myggen

Witcher 3 is a game that once you stop playing, it's nearly impossible to get your momentum back. That's not necessarily a criticism of the game, but it's just the way things go. Given their job is to play everything, it's not surprising that can't get back into it.

Only thing I didn't like was how indignant Dan seemed about losing that momentum. He definitely threw that fault at the game, but that's just Dan being Dan.

I didn't get the feeling that he was indignant at all. He just seemed dissappointed that the game didn't grab him enough for him to be able to finish it.

I didn't get the feeling that he was indignant at all. He just seemed dissappointed that the game didn't grab him enough for him to be able to finish it.

Yep and basically saying fuck you to the people who keep saying to finish it even though its no longer clearly grabbing him. :p

Also i was expecting this to happen and it should be real interesting to see the reactions if it actually doesn't make the list.

But that hasn't had a major xpac that change the gameplay and added alot to the base game~

I'm a bit late to this, but Dota 2 usually gets one patch a year that really changes the flow of how matches play out. Its essentially that games yearly revision like Madden, FIFA, etc.

I haven't played it so I could be making false assumptions, but Taken King seems an awful lot like one of WoWs bigger content patches like Fury of the Sunwell, Fall of the Lich King, or Hour of Twilight. Taken King sounds like something that took the idea of an expansion and content patch in traditional MMOs and split the difference by taking the major mechanics changes found in expansions while adding a content patch worth of content. I don't think that really justifies calling it a new release especially when other games have seen equally big additions to their core games, but those aren't usually considered new releases. Just because its marketed as a new game doesn't mean it is.

danm999

I like how Rorie says the name of a WWII anime(Grave of the Fireflies) and is ignored, and 3 minutes later Brads going like 'Oh what was the name of that anime?'.

Rorie should do the Crunchyroll ads.

I'm a bit late to this, but Dota 2 usually gets one patch a year that really changes the flow of how matches play out.

I haven't played it so I could be making assumptions, but Taken King seems an awful lot like one of WoWs bigger content patches like Fury of the Sunwell, Fall of the Lich King, or Hour of Twilight. Taken King sounds like something that took the idea of an expansion and content patch in traditional MMOs and split the difference by taking the major mechanics changes found in expansions while adding a content patch worth of content. I don't think that really justifies calling it a new release especially when other games have seen equally big additions to their core games, but those aren't usually considered new releases. Just because its marketed as a new game doesn't mean it is.

I mean even internally they've all been saying "Destiny is a better game now", "this makes the game easier to recommend", etc.

erawsd

Are there significant branching paths in Life is Strange, or is it more like the TT games where a lot of the choices are superficial until the final episode?

Are there significant branching paths in Life is Strange, or is it more like the TT games where a lot of the choices are superficial until the final episode?

There are a few parts of the game that will only exist if played a certain way, and there is one whole gameplay scene that will not exist if something is done a different way.

My analogy has always been that everyone that plays is going to the same destination, but people will hit different bumps on the road

Now that Tales From the Borderlands is complete, I can safely say it's a classic. I know y'all have been pondering its classic status.

It's tough to get back in, but once you do you're hooked. There's a definite feeling that you're forcing yourself for that first hour, then ten hours pass.

Myggen

CRz5W1OUYAAVu2y.png

Source

Zocano

Even with major story issues I have with Witcher 3, I think it will be my GOTY just simply based on the competition not being as rock solid. Though I might end up giving it to Bloodborne.

I'm always a sucker for the underdog game though so I wish there was a Spec Ops or Alpha Protocol of this year for me.

Xater

Witcher 3 is a real ass RPG and the Bomb crew doesn't care for those. That is also why they think Mass Effect is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom