• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I'm still a little shocked that they let Drew take vacation now.

After all, they kind of knew what Jason's window was going to be for about six months, right?

It's not always up to you alone when you're going on a vacation if you're going with other people. GB will be fine without them for a couple of weeks, chaos can be good!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It's not always up to you alone when you're going on a vacation if you're going with other people. GB will be fine without them for a couple of weeks, chaos can be good!

Also, there is only a small window before the end of year release rush and the GOTY experience.

Patryn

But most jobs can approve or reject vacation time requests based on staffing needs.

Now I'm not saying I want to deny Drew his well-deserved rest, I've just seen a lot of situations where people couldn't take vacations at certain times because they had nobody to back them up.

Drew's in Europe, he might've planned this for a long time

That's definitely a possibility. If the vacation had already been approved by the time Jason brought his news, there was nothing to be done.

Whaat?! If anything, the North Koreans HATE Giant Bomb. Just look at this leaked photo from Drew's recent Logitech sponsored excursion to the DPRK.

jCtsehU.jpg

Man, Die Another Day was teeeeeerrrrriiiiiible (GoldenEye was Brosnan's only good Bond movie).

I'm still a little shocked that they let Drew take vacation now.

After all, they kind of knew what Jason's window was going to be for about six months, right?
At some point you can't force someone to not take vacation! There's already so many other times of the year that he pretty much "can't" go on vacation: GOTY, E3, the main PAXes, BLLSL.

Duder deserves it!

Xater

I noticed I had a bunch of new followers on Twitter. Some even from this thread. I did some follow back from the people I recognized by name or through the profile.

Looks like Dan is also not that much into Tri Force Heroes. This is now the second first party Nintendo title in a short time that turned out ho-hum right? On 3DS I mean.

I noticed I had a bunch of new followers on Twitter. Some even from this thread. I did some follow back from the people I recognized by name or through the profile.

Looks like Dan is also not that much into Tri Force Heroes. This is now the second first party Nintendo title in a short time that turned out ho-hum right? On 3DS I mean.

Yeah, 3DS output this year has been not great.

But we are getting a new SMT, Ace Attorney, and Fire Emblem next year which is awesome.

Xater

Yeah, 3DS output this year has been not great.

But we are getting a new SMT, Ace Attorney, and Fire Emblem next year which is awesome.

Only Fire Emblem is really something for me. It seems like the software for the thing is really winding down, which does make sense if the new console/handheld hybrid thingy is coming.

Hagi

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/656937873908699136

Like, why do this? Why space them out when they're ready to go?

Probably because they don't know when they'll record a new one so it makes sense to have something already recorded they can release down the line. It's really no different than them recording 5 quick looks in a day then spreading them out through the week. Danswers just has a longer schedule ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like the look of Beyond Earth thanks to the new quicklook but I wish it had a bit more personality.

demidar

Only Fire Emblem is really something for me. It seems like the software for the thing is really winding down, which does make sense if the new console/handheld hybrid thingy is coming.

Fire Emblem and Project X Zone 2, the 3DS's real swansong.

Probably because they don't know when they'll record a new one so it makes sense to have something already recorded they can release down the line. It's really no different than them recording 5 quick looks in a day then spreading them out through the week. Danswers just has a longer schedule ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like the look of Beyond Earth thanks to the new quicklook but I wish it had a bit more personality.

I understand the Quick Look thing since most, if not all, have embargoes tied to them. It just seems so unnecessary with a podcast that's based on emails.

Danswers is the only semi-regular thing they have on Mondays, and you ideally need content every day to get people to come back.

Well, its premium feature that doesn't really need to get people to come back? They're there. Waiting.

1st party support? Agreed. Can only think of the new Paper Mario x Mario Bros game and the Metroid Spin off.

3rd party support is even stronger than ever though with stuff like Etrian Odyssey 5, Zero Escape 3, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second, etc. besides the games I mentioned above.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Due to the recent giantbomb talk about how insane and impractical xbone's drm was, I've been listening to the bombcasts from the period of Microsoft unveiling the xbone's drm policies to when they decided to get rid of it. It's kinda funny how obstinate they were back then that the drm was the right thing to do compared to now.

Also made me sad because it very shortly lead up to THAT episode.

Due to the recent giantbomb talk about how insane and impractical xbone's drm was, I've been listening to the bombcasts from the period of Microsoft unveiling the xbone's drm policies to when they decided to get rid of it. It's kinda funny how obstinate they were back then that the drm was the right thing to do compared to now.

Going back to that stuff is always great.

Anjin M

There was such an aura of inevitability about DRM going to Sony. I still think that they are right that it will happen, it's just a matter of time. Hell, most games a nigh unplayable without day-one patches and live internet connections. Keeping the right to resell discs was a minor victory at best.

Hagi

I understand the Quick Look thing since most, if not all, have embargoes tied to them. It just seems so unnecessary with a podcast that's based on emails.

Well, its premium feature that doesn't really need to get people to come back? They're there. Waiting.

They probably just don't want there to be 3 months between releases again so are saving the Samantha one for that reason. I do get what you mean though. It's not something that really needs to be put up when recorded because of the nature of what they talk about.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There was such an aura of inevitability about DRM going to Sony. I still think that they are right that it will happen, it's just a matter of time. Hell, most games a nigh unplayable without day-one patches and live internet connections. Keeping the right to resell discs was a minor victory at best.

As they've said though recently, the infrastructure is still not there yet. Also at least you can deal with it on a game by game instead of it being an enforced system-wide thing.

danm999

I wonder. I certainly don't think it'll be MS who will lead the charge again, at least not with their current leadership.

The Legend of Zelda quick look is pretty amazing

The Audio balance(Or lack of it)
The MGScanlon border under the DS overlay
The QL streaming for no reason

danm999

As they've said though recently, the infrastructure is still not there yet. Also at least you can deal with it on a game by game instead of it being an enforced system-wide thing.

Half the disaster that sort of gets glossed over in Bombcast talk (because to be fair it wouldn't affect them) was how unappealing or irrelevant a lot of the cable and entertainment side features were outside the US.

The were territories like the UK and Australia the 360 had made so much ground in was pretty much wiped out in a second because the only tangible benefits to the system over the cheaper PS4 simply didn't work.

Zaph

The were territories like the UK and Australia the 360 had made so much ground in was pretty much wiped out in a second because the only tangible benefits to the system over the cheaper PS4 simply didn't work.

The hubris was hilarious. In places like here in the UK where there is no pseudo-open standard for STB's like CableCard, what on earth made MS think they could make a deal with the likes of Sky and Virgin Media to get some type of integration going? MS is literally a direct competitor for digital TV/film sale and rental.

killroy87

It's the best. I love the fleeting moments when the site feels like a rough startup again, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

I played that Triforce Heroes demo and it seemed fun enough. Probably not worth €40 though. And Nintendo games never drop in price so I'll probably never play it.

danm999

New conspiracy theory; Drew and Jason planned their absences so they can bargain for higher wages when they return.

"See how messed up things were without us".

Follow the money, etc

New conspiracy theory; Drew and Jason planned their absences so they can bargain for higher wages when they return.

"See how messed up things were without us".

Follow the money, etc

they go to fill out their self reviews and just upload the Triforce Heroes QL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom