• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohnonono

My biggest hope is that UPF ends up so fucked and crazy that it basicly ends up being a 4 way periscope that GBU ends up having to put up on youtube! HOTTEST MESS 2015!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The reviewer was on the Lobby, and felt like he was relatively new to reviewing games, and a little too excited about doing it. So I wouldn't trust his review on its own.

wat. Alexa is doing the review. She's not a he and also not a newbie.

Xater

The problem with the AC scores is I don't know if the low numbers are about punishing the series for Unity or about real issues in Syndicate. Similarly, are the high numbers simply because it's AAA or is it decent?

There's a reason I pretty much stopped caring about reviews. And I'm not even saying that all journalists are corrupt, either. I just think there's a ton of factors that get weighed, even subconsciously, that have nothing to do with the game itself.

The divide seems to stem from people who are pretty much still on board with getting one of those every year and the people who think what they deliver is not good enough anymore. I am very much in the second camp so the lower scores seem like a safe bet to me.

For example Alexa's byline says she makes it a point to never miss an AC.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't trust these 3rd person open-world reviews anymore after Shdow of Mordor. Some people still really like them and I'm just tired of it.

Xater

I don't trust these 3rd person open-world reviews anymore after Shdow of Mordor. Some people still really like them and I'm just tired of it.

Unlike AC Shadow at least plays well. Being tired of the concept as whole is also understandable though. They just fall into specific design tropes that become very tedious repeated over and over again.

Myggen

The divide seems to stem from people who are pretty much still on board with getting one of those every year and the people who think what they deliver is not good enough anymore. I am very much in the second camp so the lower scores seem like a safe bet to me.

For example Alexa's byline says she makes it a point to never miss an AC.

Yeah, that makes sense. Reading the reviews it seems like a not very broken new AC game without much new to it. So if you're down for that you'll probably like the game. If you're sick of the formula it'll do nothing for you. I'm in the second camp as well.

Do we know yet if the folks will be talking over the Sony Paris Games Week conference?

They haven't said. But they usually don't announce stuff like that much in advance. It would probably be a sure thing if they had Drew or Jason there because it's a potentially semi big conference at a good time for them. But not having video dudes there might complicate things. Maybe borrow Andy for a couple of hours to run it?

They'll probably say something about it on UPF.

Xater

They haven't said. But they usually don't announce stuff like that much in advance. It would probably be a sure thing if they had Drew or Jason there because it's a potentially semi big conference at a good time for them. But not having video dudes there might complicate things.

Or maybe the east crew will just do it? Might be a better time for them and they at least have Vinny.

They haven't said. But they usually don't announce stuff like that much in advance. It would probably be a sure thing if they had Drew or Jason there because it's a potentially semi big conference at a good time for them. But not having video dudes there might complicate things.

Yeah I thought it would have been a sure fire thing but then I realised Drew and Jason were both away so who knows. I guess we will see based on how easily they get UPF running tomorrow lol.

Myggen

Or maybe the east crew will just do it? Might be a better time for them and they at least have Vinny.

Maybe. But seems like mainly a GBWest thing since they got up at an ungodly hour to talk over the Gamescom conference when it was on at a decent time for GBEast. But sure, GBEast might be a backup.

I feel bad for the artists that were involved with Unity. There was a lot of love and attention that went into that game when it came to realizing that world. If only the designers were as inspired.

As for the tech issues, I think it's obvious that they chose a path early on, before they realized the limitations of the platforms they would be releasing on. The game scales well with power, there wasn't a huge bottleneck anywhere, and justifies its requirements by being visually stunning, It was just too damn demanding for 95% of the people who were playing it.

kAmui-

And at about 7 minutes in we have our first look at the microtransactions. Doesn't seem too bad on that front so far though.

Those bright red and exaggerated blood splatters when you beat up people seem pretty comedic.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I simply don't believe anybody giving an Assassin's Creed game a great review these days. Those people's opinions are completely incompatible with mine, after 8 minutes in the QL.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I simply don't believe anybody giving an Assassin's Creed game a great review these days. Those people's opinions are completely incompatible with mine, after 8 minutes in the QL.

If you know that going in I don't see what the problem is. Different strokes.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I guess at some point everybody knows what to expect from Assassin's Creed and the reviews just tell you if it's better or worse than the average one.

God I wish another series would visit all these amazing places...

Nero18

Revelation gets too much shit because of franchise fatigue, it actually had a good story and a decent setting that felt alive. Better than Brotherhood imo.

LiK

Revelation gets too much shit because of franchise fatigue, it actually had a good story and a decent setting that felt alive. Better than Brotherhood imo.

Brotherhood was still better but I enjoyed Revelations even with the lame tower defense stuff. it was a great end to Ezio's story.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Yeah I enjoyed it, and I played it off the back of 100%ing brotherhood.

Then I went on to ACIII and hated nearly everything about it.

kAmui-

I fully agree with this.

I might actually get Syndicate if it was out on pc now. November 19th might be a bit too late for me to be interested in the game anymore. Also depends on how Fallout 4 turns out.

I think Brotherhood is better but I don't understand all the shit Revelations gets. Yeah, it was more of the same but that shit still played pretty well and Constantinople was a nice change from Rome.

LiK

Yeah I enjoyed it, and I played it off the back of 100%ing brotherhood.

Then I went on to ACIII and hated nearly everything about it.

yep, people forgot how broken ACIII was at launch. took them months to finally get that mega patch out. also the missions were awful.

The worst thing about Unity for me was the combat. It wasn't fluid enough to penetrate thick armor and shields for the amount of guys that usually surrounded you and the stealth wasn't smooth enough either to get round that.

There was a reason the combat in games prior to it erred on the easy side.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The worst thing about Unity for me was the combat. It wasn't fluid enough to penetrate thick armor and shields for the amount of guys that usually surrounded you and the stealth wasn't smooth enough either to get round that.

The combat in the quick look is what turned me off most. These people aren't armored, blocking, or dodging. Alex is just stabbing them fifteen times with janky ass animations before they fall over. I'd hate to see what late game enemies are like. Oh wait, you can just buy a better knife though after converting through three layers of Ubisoft currency so it's okay.

danm999

I think Brotherhood is better but I don't understand all the shit Revelations gets. Yeah, it was more of the same but that shit still played pretty well and Constantinople was a nice change from Rome.

I feel like Revelations gets a lot of shit (particularly on Giant Bomb) because it's a complete non entry when it comes to the Desmond stuff which lots of people (including Jeff) cared about.

I enjoyed Revelations myself for the reasons you mentioned. Also, the Persian(?) armor was dope.

Ottoman I'd guess.

Unity just controls badly in general. I'm finishing it off now in preparation to maybe try Syndicate later in the year and it is FUCKING ROUGH to go to it from MGSV. I can't count the amount of times I've said aloud "I don't want you to do that Arno".

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
At this point I can't even be interested in a good AC game to be honest. Played too many of them already. Didn't even finsh Black Flag and that was probably the best since 2.

You can switch characters on the fly, but it seems like if the cutscene is meant for the brother it auto switches back if you were playing as the sister? Weird.

Unity just controls badly in general. I'm finishing it off now in preparation to maybe try Syndicate later in the year and it is FUCKING ROUGH to go to it from MGSV. I can't count the amount of times I've said aloud "I don't want you to do that Arno".

I agree yeah.

I tried to go back to it from Sequence 5 after a few months break and it just felt like shit.

danm999

I agree yeah.

I tried to go back to it from Sequence 5 after a few months break and it just felt like shit.

There's nothing to keep you engaged.

The out of Animus stuff is non-existent. And Arno's story is completely flat and uninteresting. Add to that the core mechanics are awful and that none of the activities are fun and why would anybody play this game but me?*

* I am an idiot playing through a pre-defined list of 60 or so games I set myself for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom