• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Did they stop doing videos or did they stop making those games? I can't really remember any survival game after HIZI
Any noteworthy survival game at least, Steam is obviously full of them.
ARK and Rust sold really well, better than H1Z1 at this point. Unturned has almost 19 million owners according to Steam Spy, but that's F2P. And of course they're all still in Early Access.

LiK

Did they stop doing videos or did they stop making those games? I can't really remember any survival game after HIZI
Any noteworthy survival game at least, Steam is obviously full of them.

those games never stop coming out. I think GB is just ignoring them now.

also listening to Bombcast and Dan likes Destiny but soured on TW3. oh man

i'm really enjoying undertale

I finished it last night. I would say I'm glad to have experienced it, but I didn't enjoy it at all. The constant LOL SO RANDUM humor just didn't click with me. I thought it was going to shift its tone after the first hour (since I had read previously that most people consider the first hour the weakest), but the game doubles down on it for the remainder.

I'm just not a fan of random/meme humor in games, like in Guacamelee.

Q8D3vil

The Witcher 3 is probably my GOTY but people should really get over it. It's not a big deal that they'll rank crap like MGSV highly. The only important thing about their GOTY content is their sketches anyway.
Seriously, that game is barely decent gameplay is the (definitely the highlight).
but its such lifeless boring game with wasted potential. The only good thing about TPP is the first 2 hours.

erawsd

Unless i'm mistaken, they only liked Black Flag for the ship stuff, not the Assassin's Creed stuff. I recall someone mentioning how it was a bummer when they had to break away from the ship gameplay to do the usual tracking and AC gameplay. Enjoying an AC game because it's barely an AC game probably means there's little motivation to play a game that's very much an AC game.

They liked it enough to stick it in the middle of their top ten for that year. Here's what Jeff had to say about it:

AC4 gives you a character you can get interested in and a world that you want to see. It gets close to the light and likable moments of Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood while giving you a big-ass ship with which to explore a vast world of piratical fun. It mixes in a little hunting and crafting, Far Cry 3-style. And it delivers solid cities with climbable points and enough different gadgets and items to make you feel intensely powerful. Not that you'd need much help in that department, since the combat is really just a flashy set of easily followed prompts designed to make you feel like some kind of raw, murdering machine. You know what? It works.

Wrap that all up in a world that manages to make fun of all the Desmond stuff in a way that almost makes me forgive them for messing up all the Desmond stuff as badly as they did and yeah. I'm back on board, Assassin's Creed. Congrats to the development team (all 20,000 of you) for picking up the ACIII mess and making something useful out of it.

It definitely sounds like he enjoyed more than just the ship stuff. I'm not suggesting that Syndicate is a game anyone will love, just that I could see them giving it a shot since many of their colleagues seem to be pretty positive about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff's tumblr seems to confirm a Sony PGW stream? Don't know if they already confirmed it somewhere else
anonym asks:
You guys gonna be able to commentate over Sony's PGW press conference without the video guys there?

Jeff: I think I know a way to do that.

You know which game I also adored this year? Pillars of Eternity. Guess how much mentions that'll get in the GotY discussions. And I will be able to survive that.
They'll probably give GotY to Metal Gear although it's a bad game but they also gave it to Mordor so they have to keep the streak going.

It might actually be the first. I can't remember any.

I know for sure Rogue had them. From my Twitter when I was playing it,

Assassin's Creed Rogue is a very bad game where woman run up to you every five minutes to do nothing except be stabbed in the face. This typo is justified because there's like only one female enemy model who is dressed like a period-appropriate sex worker

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Seriously, that game is barely decent gameplay is the (definitely the highlight).
but its such lifeless boring game with wasted potential. The only good thing about TPP is the first 2 hours.

The first two hours?! That was the worst part of the game up until Quiet's helicopter gentleman's club routine. If somebody forced me to play that section of the game again what I would do to that person would make the Assassin's Creed murders look tame.

erawsd

Jeff's tumblr seems to confirm a Sony PGW stream? Don't know if they already confirmed it somewhere else

You know which game I also adored this year? Pillars of Eternity. Guess how much mentions that'll get in the GotY discussions. And I will be able to survive that.
They'll probably give GotY to Metal Gear although it's a bad game but they also gave it to Mordor so they have to keep the streak going.

Pillars has pretty much been the game I'm perpetually wanting to get back to. I loved what I played but then spring break came and I stopped and havent been able to get back into it. Mostly because I dont want to start over but so much time has past and there been a lot of balancing/skill adjustments that I feel a bit overwhelmed jumping back into it without doing some "homework".

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I know for sure Rogue had them. From my Twitter when I was playing it,

Assassin's Creed Rogue is a very bad game where woman run up to you every five minutes to do nothing except be stabbed in the face. This typo is justified because there's like only one female enemy model who is dressed like a period-appropriate sex worker

Ah I haven't played Rogue, I probably will when it goes on sale.

Heimbeck

Banned

I agree, I liked the game but I also really hated some parts of it and I don't consider the good parts of it to be that great.
I do like that all the guys have enjoyed it though, it's great to hear them all positive about a game.

Lijik

catching up on kleptok's mario maker stream this morning and the solution to hypercube is the most amazing bullshit. it was fun to see him defend dans level because of it given how half of the ryckoning thread was about if the level was total bullshit or not

"Let's drink a bunch of absinthe and play with the broken glass."
"Pour the absinthe on the broken glass while it's on the spoon and eat the broken glass."

e: haha

J: "They'll let anybody publish books these days."
D: "Yeah."

KingKong

alright now that Dan made Drew run around for 20 minutes looking for the container he can't even fulton I'm ready to call this a bad feature

strafer

jesus Vinny...he's getting really soft now about the killings.

Old Vinny would have fucked all of em up.. I even think he would try and kill the kids that walk around.

AcridMeat

Banned
alright now that Dan made Drew run around for 20 minutes looking for the container he can't even fulton I'm ready to call this a bad feature
Hahaha oh wow, yeah I'm not feeling much regret being a couple episodes behind. I think I'm gonna check out of this one.

mileS

That eagle vision looks terrible. Not sure if he was using it too much but either way I wouldn't want to always be in that mode.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Apparently Dan also said there's nothing in that truck when in fact the most powerful multi-homing rocket launcher in the game is in that truck. You'd need like 50 R&D to research it yourself. /headdesk

Westerado is on sale on steam for $7.50. I'm probably going to hold off for now because I won't be getting to it for awhile. I already caved and bought Rebel Galaxy even though I don't know when I'll play it.

I don't understand the high review scores for AC Syndicate. By all accounts the game is more of the same stuff I thought most people were tired of, and yet it's getting 8s and 9s.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting any "funny business", I'm just re-realizing how useless reviews are to me these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom