• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Unity has a much better setting and characters than Rogue. I refuse to acknowledge Alex saying Unity was worse than that game and choose to take it as supreme hyperbole.

Because AC games are filler, and Rogue is a filler of filler.

tuxfool

Banned
cheers m8

but even the Liverpudlian or geordie accents???

There are so many accents, simply saying a British accent is really reductive. I doubt he'd be saying the same about a Dorset accent. Or even attempt to understand a person speaking with a strong Glaswegian accent.

Yeah, I think I'll take just about any British accent, also give me lots of British slang and idioms. The more the better. Scottish, Irish and Australian will also do.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There are so many accents, simply saying a British accent is really reductive. I doubt he'd be saying the same about a Dorset accent. Or even attempt to understand a person speaking with a strong Glaswegian accent.

exactement

I dunno, they all sound good to me.

mine sounds good ;) but there are many, many that should never be exposed to human ears

I'd really like a new Brad feature, I feel like we haven't had much from him since Bloodborne. Granted, I could be blanking on something really obvious!

I love glaswegian accents. I've talked about this before, but in regards to american accents- I love accents that are just completely "saturated" and easy. not something that sounds affected.

Manc accents can be great. Dorset sounds like they're trying too hard. I can respect a Scouse accent.

Geordie accents are horrible on young people but morph into being endearing over the age of 40 somehow?

FStop7

Banned
Seriously, that game is barely decent gameplay is the (definitely the highlight).
but its such lifeless boring game with wasted potential. The only good thing about TPP is the first 2 hours.

MGS5's the epitome of spectacle over substance.

It's highly repetitive. NPCs, environments, all of it. But because "you're flying in a golden helicopter playing wrestling music omg bacon sriracha meme meme meme meme ayyy lmao" it gets a pass.

It's highly repetitive. NPCs, environments, all of it. But because "you're flying in a golden helicopter playing wrestling music omg bacon sriracha meme meme meme meme ayyy lmao" it gets a pass.

Your memes end here!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

What?

The best thing about MGSV is the core gameplay mechanics. Sneaking around, playing with guards, shooting. The worst parts are it not being finished and most of the non-interactive parts (Quiet, storylines going nowhere, FOB). It even prioritises frame rate over visuals.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Even though Austin seems to be a really good DM, he is so terrible at accents and it's great.

Being terrible at accents is a cornerstone of being a good DM. It's always great to end up with some terrible amalgamation of Scottish and Jamaican and needing to just go with it.

What?

The best thing about MGSV is the core gameplay mechanics. Sneaking around, playing with guards, shooting. The worst parts are it not being finished and most of the non-interactive parts (Quiet, storylines going nowhere, FOB). It even prioritises frame rate over visuals.

Yeah I'm glad this is the time I jumped back into the MGS series because it plays so incredibly well. Every time I watch an episode, I just want to jump back into the game. Unfortunately I've had very little time lately to do so.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Wipe this meme from the face of the earth

but seriously: opinions, how do they work?

As for AC, I think it's really simple. Those games are the definition of comfort food gaming. Super easy to play, open-world games where you plink away objectives from a minimap and progress is very tangible - these are satisfying things. Like psychologically, at least I can speak for myself, I like working things off checklists in games, essentially. Unity just took it to such an extreme that it kind of pulled the curtain back for a lot of people, causing them to realize how empty such a design philosophy is when you really strip it down and expose WHY these games are satisfying. There was too much - too many icons on the map, too many essentially meaningless activities there just to make the game seem substantive. That and the microtransactions, bugs, uninteresting story etc.

There's nothing that seems super new in Syndicate, they simply removed all the elements people found objectionable in Unity, and here we are again. No one who didn't like this series before will change their minds. But for a shallow, casual game to play, this year's AC game seems totally fine. I don't mean shallow or casual disparagingly either, not every game has to be super deep and require 100 hours to get good at or something.

tuxfool

Banned
I love glaswegian accents. I've talked about this before, but in regards to american accents- I love accents that are just completely "saturated" and easy. not something that sounds affected.

A strong Glaswegian accent is barely intelligible English. Fast talkers of that particular dialect just sound like noise to me.

A strong Glaswegian accent is barely intelligible English. Fast talkers of that particular dialect just sound like noise to me.

I spent years doing phone support for people across the world, it's crazy how you just eventually learn to understand pretty much everybody regardless. unless they use a lot of slang.

I figure if you can understand Ratcatcher, you've reached a decent glaswegian comprehension level.

but heck, most people I know can't even understand Frankie Boyle.

AcridMeat

Banned

If you said Saints Row: The Third, sure. I agree it's repetitive, but they circumvent that with the vast amount of tools and systems to play around. It should be a 20 hour game, but by having the fun being put in the systems that you actively have to seek out and experiment with, it's the opposite of spectacle.
What's so Great about Britain anyway?
It's not the US for a start.

Oh and if you're pregnant you can ask to pee in an officer's helmet.

FStop7

Banned
What?

Sure, the mechanics are great. But you're just doing the same thing over, and over, and over. Here are the same 4 Soviet NPC guards at an outpost. You tranq and fulton them. I played around 25 to 30 hours before the repetition ground me down. During that time I heard "A Soviet solider..." and "Boss! Get down! The enemy sniper..." and "He's coming, too?" hundreds of times. I saw the same fulton animations hundreds of times. You can approach these things from different directions but in the end it's the same task repeated with little variation in a largely empty "open" world.

But because of "Kojima so nutty", nostalgia, and people endlessly losing their shit over the spectacle/meme stuff like fultoning bears, funny gifs of Ocelot's model replacing D-dog's, and of course "Such a lust for revenge! Whoooooo?" the game gets way too much credit . Spectacle is not substance and badly written and recorded lines are not good because they get spammed everywhere on the Internet.

Hagi

I thought it was pretty funny that they thought the Scottish accent was just Northern English. We sound pretty far removed from a northern accent even in somewhere like Edinburgh. It's not like I'd expect Americans to know though I just had a little chuckle regardless.

I got what Vinny meant when he was saying how visceral the combat was with that knife. The fights are drawn out a little longer than they should be so it looks a little much when the character is going total overkill on the enemies. The flow of combat is really weird in these games.

Heimbeck

Banned
British people say a lot of things though (or so I am told), why did that sentence in particular get so "popular"?

Cop shows that were popular in the 70's and 80's used to say governor a lot.
I guess since the were one of the most popular shows some people in other countries saw them?
It's the only time I've heard anyone say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom