• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
she is precious and I love her
Using a better quality camera for the newer stuff was a poor choice, the poor video quality of the older stuff added a lot.
Cop shows that were popular in the 70's and 80's used to say governor a lot.
I guess since the were one of the most popular shows some people in other countries saw them?
It's the only time I've heard anyone say it.

I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say governor, but you'll definitely hear people say guv every now and then.

mattp

looks like jeff got his review copy of call of duty

@jeffgerstmann 9m
Always fun to play online video games with people who are streaming and have a live chat mic. Always fun. What a great experience.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Did any of the crew play much of olliolli 2 this year? I picked it up a couple days ago when it was on sale (also stacked a coupon and steam cents) and it's so good. They made so many smart improvements over 1. The menus are still not great though.

Riot SMG is the greatest trick Dan ever pulled. Drew can land ridiculous shots with the tranq gun and not blow through an entire suppressor on one guy.

Yeah but it really sucks when they're wearing a helmet AND body armor. Does the Riot SMG let you shoot off the helmet? Also, it's a shame that it's not a primary weapon, as I'd be a lot more likely to use it for intense situations where I've already been spotted. I think reflex mode is so forgiving that having less than optimal weapons typically isn't a huge deal if you're given time to line up your shot. I've been playing entirely without reflex mode, though, as I am going for the highest scores that I can and feel like reflex mode is kind of cheating. If I can't get a guy who's spotted me before he alerts the others in real time then I deserve to get a combat alert.

Xater

looks like jeff got his review copy of call of duty

@jeffgerstmann 9m
Always fun to play online video games with people who are streaming and have a live chat mic. Always fun. What a great experience.

Too early for streamers to play COD. They would not risk their Twitch account.

DamnBoxes

I would have thought that's Halo 5.

T'was indeed.

SZCt2Se.png

I don't get these comments on MGScanlon saying "OMG why isn't Drew listening to audio tapes constantly??? He's missing soooo much story".

Fuck off. This is the fault of the game. Do not put your fucking story in audio clips. I'm not listening to a damn audiobook, I'm playing a videogame. I have a podcast on, or baseball, or NFL. I never listened to audio recordings (a la Bioshock) and never will. Another terrible decision by Kojima.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get these comments on MGScanlon saying "OMG why isn't Drew listening to audio tapes constantly??? He's missing soooo much story".

Fuck off. This is the fault of the game. Do not put your fucking story in audio clips. I'm not listening to a damn audiobook, I'm playing a videogame. I have a podcast on, or baseball, or NFL. I never listened to audio recordings (a la Bioshock) and never will. Another terrible decision by Kojima.

It's fine?? Most of the stuff in the tapes is just extra backstory if you want it. It adds depth, it's not necessary. I put them on in the background during Side Ops. I can understand them not doing that in this playthrough because Drew hates side-ops and it would make them unable to talk for long stretches, which I'm fine with personally but w/e. I don't take issue with that. I take issue with Dan giving bad advice and straight-up misinformation.

Wolbachia

MG310

Yeah but it really sucks when they're wearing a helmet AND body armor. Does the Riot SMG let you shoot off the helmet? Also, it's a shame that it's not a primary weapon, as I'd be a lot more likely to use it for intense situations where I've already been spotted. I think reflex mode is so forgiving that having less than optimal weapons typically isn't a huge deal if you're given time to line up your shot. I've been playing entirely without reflex mode, though, as I am going for the highest scores that I can and feel like reflex mode is kind of cheating. If I can't get a guy who's spotted me before he alerts the others in real time then I deserve to get a combat alert.

I think it'll take off the helmet eventually but by that point you've been spotted. It seems like its made for sprinting in and just dumping into a group of guys after things have already gone bad.Just seems like a poor choice for even attempting to sneak through anything...especially before you hit the 2nd tier of suppressors.

It's basically the perfect Dan weapon but maybe not for how Drew seems to at least attempt to stealth his way through before it all goes to hell. Hopefully he gets to experiment with some different options.

I'm fine with not hearing the tapes over everything..though I wonder if he's delaying some cutscenes by not going back to Mother Base. Quiet related
Specifically that one where Quiet shoots between the helicopter blades a bit before she becomes available to use. I swear I saw that one and the one where Ocelot is explaining her skin-breathing before I got to Africa. Might be wrong though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I can't help myself from looking through the comments on MGScanlon, because I know I'm far from the only one... and while there is always griping in the comments section about how the game is played, I feel like it's by far the most extreme in this installment. Like the majority of the comments seem to include some criticism of this series and Dan's awful presence. It's probably too much to expect them to even look at it, but man I hope they do take something away from it other than "people on the internet are made we're not playing the way they want us to durrr" which is real easy to fall back on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if GB should do "reviews" like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHFCDK6FCs

Some time after a Quick Look, which usually happens at launch or even before, when one or more members of the crew have made up their mind about a game. Footage can be old gameplay, too.

VideoGamer is really awful. Like the 'jaded unimpressed by everything too cool for school' stuff people lob on GiantBomb is nothing compared to that site.

AngryMoth

I don't have any issues with how drew is playing mgsv but I am getting bored of it. I think because the game is so long and repetitive I it isn't well suited to a full length LP

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I realised early on that it wasn't interesting to me and have only watched bits of some episodes. I watched every episode of the previous games as soon as I could.

ArjanN

Did any of the crew play much of olliolli 2 this year? I picked it up a couple days ago when it was on sale (also stacked a coupon and steam cents) and it's so good. They made so many smart improvements over 1. The menus are still not great though.

Is the game you're asking about Mario Maker, MGSV or Destiny? Then the answer is no.

Just kidding. Sort of.

I'm surprised Jeff hasn't gotten into it, especially given how shit Tony Hawk is. I'm guessing it being 2D stops it from being the skating power fantasy the old Tony Hawk games were for a lot of people.

Myggen

I can't help myself from looking through the comments on MGScanlon, because I know I'm far from the only one... and while there is always griping in the comments section about how the game is played, I feel like it's by far the most extreme in this installment. Like the majority of the comments seem to include some criticism of this series and Dan's awful presence. It's probably too much to expect them to even look at it, but man I hope they do take something away from it other than "people on the internet are made we're not playing the way they want us to durrr" which is real easy to fall back on.

Dan always reads the comments under videos he's in it seems. But they record this in larger chunks and seem to have over 10 hours of content yet to release, so there's limits to how relevant comments will be for something like that.

If anything Syndicate's violence has been toned down in terms of violence, really goofy blood splatter instead of the more realistic clothing stains of the past few entries. Weird!

Volotaire

I didn't know there was a female character protagonist in AC Syndicate until the quicklook. It shows how little I have been keeping up with the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom