• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The Mario Maker streams are some of GB's finest ever videos. Joyous. I hope this continues.

PS NSMB games don't look brilliant but play great, except for the original DS one which is rubbish. NSMB Wii is joint with World for best Mario.

I think Dan got bogged down with the
talk to all the ladies about Dandelion
quest which is admittedly kinda lame coming just after the Velen climax. But as soon as you get past that the quests that follow are soooooo good. The overarching story up to that point is simple enough that it wouldn't be hard to jump back in.
The Novigrad section was such a bummer, completely drained my interest in playing the game.

I have until the end of GB #17 to learn about K-Pop and diversify my #brand.
Incoming K-pop PM spam.

I don't think any NSMB can ever be the best Mario when the aesthetic is trash

Mario should look great AND play great. Give 2D Mario to EAD Tokyo damn it

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
NSMB is boring, but that's because they've used that exact style for like 5 games now. The first time I saw it, I loved it. It just lost all the impact from so many sequels with so few changes.

mintyice

NSMB backgrounds are too distracting for complicated levels that require precise platforming. Give me flat and clear sprites any day.

NSMB is boring, but that's because they've used that exact style for like 5 games now. The first time I saw it, I loved it. It just lost all the impact from so many sequels with so few changes.

I'd agree with this, at this point NSMB seems more like the default Mario look than anything else, and default is almost always boring.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
I think Dan got bogged down with the
talk to all the ladies about Dandelion
quest which is admittedly kinda lame coming just after the Velen climax. But as soon as you get past that the quests that follow are soooooo good. The overarching story up to that point is simple enough that it wouldn't be hard to jump back in.

I'm past Skellige now. I will definitely have the game beat by the time GOTY rolls around.

DamnBoxes

PS4, it runs great right now, both performance wise and network.

Wonder how much of a dip it is on the Xbox One.

I have both consoles but I prefer FPS on the Xbox because of the controller.

I'm one of those crazy people that will end up buying the 150 dollar elite controller when it's available.

Patryn

I wonder how angry some people will get in the GOTY thread when GB largely ignores Witcher 3.

As has been said, it won't be ignored. I suspect it'll end up somewhere near the middle of the list.

But anyone who expects it to challenge for the number 1 spot is delusional, and I suspect some people will be angry that it's not even mentioned as a possible choice, despite the fact that while the team really liked it, none of them seem to have LOVED it.

One needs only look at how they talked about the Witcher and compare to how they talked about MGSV and Mario Maker.

Patryn

Honestly, if you want real meltdowns, what happens if (when?) MGSV beats Witcher 3 as GAF's GOTY?

Even worse: What if Fallout 4 beats both MSGV and Witcher 3 on GAF? Holy shit, the meltdowns from that would be legendary.

daydream

Banned
oh I see how it is.

(I made a playlist of some of my favorite videos from 2015 if you care)

(one is technically 2014 but the album came out in january)

this goes without saying any time a yt link is involved but fuck gema

worst thing about campanella slowly coming westwards is that their yt links will stop working

gonna look for the songs elsewhere, though, thanks

justjim89

Mario Maker should get GOTY over MGSV.

THAT'S the fight I wanna fucking see! Witcher 3 is too good and too beautiful for GB's GOTY, anyhow.

Patryn

Mario Maker should get GOTY over MGSV.

THAT'S the fight I wanna fucking see! Witcher 3 is too good and too beautiful for GB's GOTY, anyhow.

That won't be a fight, unfortunately. I thought it would be until Jeff went on the record that he'd easily pick MGSV over Mario Maker.

Now, it's possible that his opinion has shifted since Podfest, but he didn't hesitate saying he'd pick MGSV.

Honestly, if you want real meltdowns, what happens if (when?) MGSV beats Witcher 3 as GAF's GOTY?

Even worse: What if Fallout 4 beats both MSGV and Witcher 3 on GAF? Holy shit, the meltdowns from that would be legendary.

I feel like Undertale has a shot at beating at least one of them. A lot of people seem to be calling that GotY. That would be an amazing shit storm if that happens.

You guys, Battlefront is pretty fucking fun, you should check out the beta for sure.

I've been flaccid about that game since they announced there'd be no space battles. Since they were like at least 75% of what I did on BF2, not having them makes the new BF feel like not a full $60 game, even though I'm sure it has a full games worth of content.

That won't be a fight, unfortunately. I thought it would be until Jeff went on the record that he'd easily pick MGSV over Mario Maker.

Now, it's possible that his opinion has shifted since Podfest, but he didn't hesitate saying he'd pick MGSV.
I think it's very clearly shifted.

Hell, it seems Dan is enjoying SMM more than MGS V.

What's trash about how it looks? It's vibrant, colorful, crisp, and whimsical. Represents Mario perfectly.

It just looks so stale, man. There's none of the pop that the Galaxy or 3D games have. Those games look vibrant. NSMB bores me to tears visually.

...NSMBU looks a lot nicer, though. Must be the HD. Or just more interesting environments.

It's boring because they give you the best moveset in all of 2D Mario (not counting GB Donkey Kong which would handily take that honor) and then proceed to give you nothing interesting to do with it.

I feel like Undertale has a shot at beating at least one of them. A lot of people seem to be calling that GotY. That would be an amazing shit storm if that happens.

It won't. It will likely show up in a lot of lists but what you will find with Gaf GOTY is there is a silent majority that doesn't feel strongly enough about any game to make claims about what should or shouldn't be game of the year in threads throughout the year but choose to post in the voting thread. In the end when it comes to the top 10 it will line up pretty closely to the games media top 10.

Lijik

Why do they have a japanese copy of Sneakers lmao
It just looks so stale, man. There's none of the pop that the Galaxy or 3D games have. Those games look vibrant. NSMB bores me to tears visually.

...NSMBU looks a lot nicer, though. Must be the HD. Or just more interesting environments.

They actually bothered to put effort into NSMBU's backgrounds and I think the overall color pallete pops more than NSMBWii which is a little more subdued in comparison

I think it's very clearly shifted.

Hell, it seems Dan is enjoying SMM more than MGS V.

i think it's a matter of expectations. MGSV had lower expectations to it given the debacle of Kojima getting kicked out of konami and that there's never been mechanically sound MGS game outside of Rising. It's reasonable to say that MGSV beat most people's expectations, even if the possible production issues show a bit near the end of the game.

Mario Maker is pretty much what we thought it would be. It's great, no doubt, but it's not perfect either. It needs some sort of curation or tagging system for its online stuff and it's missing a few things with the maker stuff, too, like angry sun and slopes and stuff.

I dunno, i dont see MM taking it but i wouldn't think it a bad thing if it did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom