• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone made this.

2792871-robo_future__v5.jpg
Gaint Bomb x Anime art

That is legit

Anjin M

I decided to marathon all the Star Wars movies to hype myself before Episode 7 comes out.

Starting with Ep1 tonight (starting with the prequels to get rid of the shit and keep the good stuff for the end).

30min in Episode 1 and I already want to die....

Fucking Jar Jar and Anakin "Are you an angel" Skywalker...ugh
I tried to do the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I got through episode one and gave up. It's so bad. :(

I bought the blu rays, got 15 minutes into Episode 1, and it promptly went on the shelf, where it remains today

those movies are somehow worse every time I've watched them

gray_fox224

If you don't have a Premium membership -
Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes Quick Look
Contradiction - Spot The Liar Quick Look
Giant Bomb Makes Mario 1 & 2 + Patrick playing said levels on his personal YT channel.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Quick Look

If you do have a Premium membership -
All of Metal Gear Scanlon
All of the Contradiction videos
All of Demo Derby (particularly the most recent one, and the one where the thumbnail is a guy with his face all painted up with Playstation logos).
Mario Party Party 1-4.

thanks

If you don't have a Premium membership -
Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes Quick Look
Contradiction - Spot The Liar Quick Look
Giant Bomb Makes Mario 1 & 2 + Patrick playing said levels on his personal YT channel.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Quick Look

If you do have a Premium membership -
All of Metal Gear Scanlon
All of the Contradiction videos
All of Demo Derby (particularly the most recent one, and the one where the thumbnail is a guy with his face all painted up with Playstation logos).
Mario Party Party 1-4.

Don't forget the last E3 night video (aka "You Goddamn Nightmare People")

daydream

Banned
i enjoyed what little i played of the first lego batman

i care even less about any of the other series they slapped their template onto, though, and city undercover handily beats out the rest, anyway

also, island and racers exist so yeah

In both podcast episodes this week, every time PC gaming is brought up reminds me of how pc gaming is such a hassle and why I don't bother with it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey, late realization here, but is that fridge next to their couch the one you guys sent to them?

In both podcast episodes this week, every time PC gaming is brought up reminds me of how pc gaming is such a hassle and why I don't bother with it.

What are you talking about? It's easy and most people who talk about PCs and have issues with them don't actually know what they are talking about. I can't remember what Jeff was talking about this week or last week regarding PCs but he got the facts completely wrong. PC gaming is easy and insanely cheaper than console gaming. Here is a good litmus test, Do you currently have bloatware still installed on your PC from when you bought it or do you have more than the recycle bin on your desktop? If so, clean it up, get it back to a basic vanilla install and you'll be able to see computers aren't that hard, people just are stubborn and don't want to learn the quicker and easier way of using a computer.

Weird because the last time I tried to play some Madden on an Xbox One that was literally the worst UI/UX experience I have ever witnessed in recent history from a multi-billion dollar company.

I seriously don't get how anyone's buying a console right now, they're such a bad fucking deal with only 2GB video cards while 12GB cards are already hitting the market, and Sony just announced a future hardware upgrade to the PS4.

PC gaming is easy and insanely cheaper than console gaming.

I will never agree when PC defenders say this. Cite all the Steam sales you want, but the issue with expense is barrier to entry. People are way more willing to drop $400 at a time than $800 to $2500 plus time and effort for set up. If they can't get beyond the entry, nothing beyond it matters.

yami4ct

What are you talking about? It's easy and most people who talk about PCs and have issues with them don't actually know what they are talking about. I can't remember what Jeff was talking about this week or last week regarding PCs but he got the facts completely wrong. PC gaming is easy and insanely cheaper than console gaming. Here is a good litmus test, Do you currently have bloatware still installed on your PC from when you bought it or do you have more than the recycle bin on your desktop? If so, clean it up, get it back to a basic vanilla install and you'll be able to see computers aren't that hard, people just are stubborn and don't want to learn the quicker and easier way of using a computer.

I'm probably primarily a PC game at this point, but there are still issues. If you're even remotely tech savvy, it's easy to learn how to deal with them, but I can certainly see the appeal of a console in that respect. Things like drivers, tweaking in-game settings, weird networking issues, etc. have all gotten better, but it's certainly not as idiot proof as consoles. Every PC I've built has run into some issue that I've had to spend a couple hours debugging. Then there's the fact that a decent PC will cost you at least $800, double what a console costs. Sure, you can save a lot by shopping GMG and Steam sales, but physical stores offer sales on console games that while not as good, make up a good chunk of that difference.

I will never agree when PC defenders say this. Cite all the Steam sales you want, but the issue with expense is barrier to entry. People are way more willing to drop $400 at a time than $800 to $2500 plus time and effort for set up. If they can't get beyond the entry, nothing beyond it matters.

That is a problem with people's inability to analyze cost over time; it doesn't make the idea less true.

That is a problem with people's inability to analyze cost over time; it doesn't make the idea less true.

Anyone can see raw monetary cost benefit over an extended period of time. The issue is that it's combined with time, effort, and knowledge that most people don't have versus a dramatically lower cost and plug-and-play ease for what most people would consider good enough for them. The grand majority of gamers don't care about spending $800+ on a series of things they then have to study and spend hours putting together for their first try (I'm referencing that twitch stream a lot today lol). PC gaming is easier and cheaper than it's ever been, but the distance between ease of entry for hardcore and the "average/casual" (grand majority) gamer is still massive.

justjim89

I've played every major PC release this year, at a decent framerate, with a $600 laptop I got on newegg this spring. It just takes a bit of research.

Plus the added bonus of it having all the functionality of a computer and not some jack of all trades set top box.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Which laptop is it?

I usually can't deal with gaming laptops though. They never seem to be good laptops for laptop use to me.

I prefer this thing! How can you possibly prefer something different?! Here's why you're wrong for preferring something that isn't the thing I prefer!
I made a Giant Bomb x GamePro review scale waaaaay back when Dan was first hired for grins.
No one commented on this but this is fucking rad. I think personally I'd make Dan the over the top enthusiastic 5 and Jeff the 1 but I love it anyways.

It should be interesting to see if they can get the "early morning stream" (has to be them talking over the Sony Paris Games Week conference, right?) up and running smoothly and keep it that way throughout the stream. The first part is easy (I think), but can they do the second part? Drew's gone for about two weeks and he's not even in the country. Do we know how long Jason plans to remain with Lisa and little baby Griffin before returning to work?

Anjin M

I've played every major PC release this year, at a decent framerate, with a $600 laptop I got on newegg this spring. It just takes a bit of research.

Plus the added bonus of it having all the functionality of a computer and not some jack of all trades set top box.

Unless you're pushing 60 FPS on that laptop, I suspect that the PC enthusiasts on this site will laugh you away.

Of course, the best part of PC gaming is that you can scale your experience. I just prefer consoles because they are dead simple.

edit://
Also, your avatar change has thrown me for such a loop. :)

Framerate can be pretty subjective, but you probably won't be able to say the same in two years like a console or custom gaming PC player would. I bought an amazing $900ish laptop in 2011 and its high end gaming longevity lasted about 1.5 years. That's what pushed me to learn and build a PC in early 2013.

Sorry if I'm coming off as aggressive everyone, but I get really engaged in topics like this.

yami4ct

Though the real deal is that you can never play persona 5 on PC.

So there's that.

There's always going to be some system exclusives worth owning. That's just the way of things. If you don't have a big enough gaming budget for a console and a PC, I think that's a 100% valid reason to go with a console.

I'm an idiot who spends way to much money on games, so I usually end up owning everything. I mean, I'm a dummy who has now bought 2 Vitas because I broke one. No one should take financial advice from me.

(On a related note, I'm pleasantly surprised by the Vita slim. The screen is noticeably different and definitely worse in some ways, but I got used to it really quick. I love the reduced wait and added battery life, so I think it's a worthy trade off. The better buttons are great too. Build quality feels worse in general, but judging it purely by using it, I really dig it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom