• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So I'm watching the first episode of the Demon Souls playthrough with Brad and Vinny.

And it kinda hurts watching Brad not having an idea what everything and do.

fiddling in the inventory and such.

I always thought Brad was way into Demons Soul

Nobody on the staff was way into that game. Vinny was the only one who played it (I think he finished it when it was relatively new still) and any time he mentioned it on the podcasts it was treated with pretty much the same reaction as when Dan talks about wrestling.

hamchan

So I'm watching the first episode of the Demon Souls playthrough with Brad and Vinny.

And it kinda hurts watching Brad not having an idea what everything and do.

fiddling in the inventory and such.

I always thought Brad was way into Demons Soul

You're watching the series where he started to get into Souls and nowadays he plats them.

nah, they're just owned by Dr. Pepper/Snapple

you want to get real deep into weird soda lineage, try to figure out Dr. Pepper. Technically its own company, but distributed entirely by both Pepsi and Coke, nevermind that Coke has its own competing flavor.

#followthesoda

The soda game is insane.

justjim89

I miss soda. I've only had like one cup of it in two months, cause I fear if I drink it again in any sort of regularity I'll be back to 8 glasses of Mountain Dew a day.

I refuse to go the diet soda route. It tastes awful and it's a half-measure for half-people.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Austin gives the present day stuff in AC1 way too much credit. When that game was 'big', people were rocking Altair avatars, Altair signatures, etc. I almost never saw anyone wearing a Desmond avatar like 'fuck yeah Desmond!'

I think Austin gives the present day stuff in AC1 way too much credit. When that game was 'big', people were rocking Altair avatars, Altair signatures, etc. I almost never saw anyone wearing a Desmond avatar like 'fuck yeah Desmond!'

I liked it because it was a bit like early LOST. There were hints that something more than we saw was going on. With AC1 I thought Ubisoft had it planned out. Assassins Creed would be this crazy mix of sci-fi and historic setpieces, with a huge overarching story that would lead us closer and closer to modern day, until finally we would get to play as Desmond. I really liked the idea that over time we'd piece together the world and the story alongside Desmond. That idea of AC is much more attractive to me than what it is right now.

It's weird to me that people wouldn't want to play a historical game unless there is some sort of modern day/ sci-fi conceit.

I actually would love just a straight historical game, but AC keeps just enough of the weird sci-fi/modern day stuff that it's offputting. I'd prefer them to go fully one way with it. Go full historic or lean more into the mix between future and past. What it is now just feels weird and the modern day stuff seems out of place and like an afterthought. The game still having the animus stuff just feels like a teaser that will never go anywhere. I can't tell what their goal with it is anymore.

LiK

I liked it because it was a bit like early LOST. There were hints that something more than we saw was going on. With AC1 I thought Ubisoft had it planned out, and Assassins Creed would be this mix of sci-fi and historic setpieces with this huge overarching story that would lead us closer and closer to modern day, until finally we would get to play as Desmond. That idea of AC is much more attractive to me than what it is right now.

exactly this. AC1 came out when i was way into LOST and had similar vibes with its mysteries. this was so true. it was the main reason why i was so invested in Desmond's story. ACIII kinda screwed it up.

Also, i'm confused why they said Black Flag wasn't connected to past games in real world. uh, maybe they missed the whole part where you
encountered Juno

Teddified

I actually would love just a straight historical game, but AC keeps just enough of the weird sci-fi/modern day stuff that it's offputting. I'd prefer them to go fully one way with it. Go full historic or lean more into the mix between future and past. What it is now just feels weird and the modern day stuff seems out of place and like an afterthought.

It just seems impossible to do AC without the Sci-fi stuff because it's basically part of the story/lore now. It kinda sucks because they screwed up the whole Desmond thing, now were in this weird place were we get a few cutscenes or w/e that reference the whole Juno thing out of obligation because they don't wanna go full hog into it again or something.

Tubobutts

I haven't played an AC game since Revelations, but I dont mind the deemphasis of the modern stuff because that presumably means they could set the game where/when ever without having to make it tie into the existing narrative. Although from what I understand that hasn't been the case. Are the characters in syndicate and unity still related to Desmond?

Teddified

I haven't played an AC game since Revelations, but I dont mind the deemphasis of the modern stuff because that presumably means they could set the game where/when ever without having to make it tie into the existing narrative. Although from what I understand that hasn't been the case. Are the characters in syndicate and unity still related to Desmond?

It's hard to say, at least in Unity it really isn't brought up at all. You're basically someone playing an Animus game device Helix that gets hacked and you get brought in to help the Assassin's by playing through the memories.

Yes, Desmond's "handlers" still have major roles in
Syndicate
and Black Flag.

Honestly, the animus stuff is really deeply integrated into the series even as the modern day segments have taken up less time since 3. Unity has the segments where the entire world breaks apart and different time frames leak in and you constantly have people speaking to you through the world. And even in in the context of the story stuff like the npc monologues use the animus to explain how it works. Even more so in Syndicate given the glitchy nature you could see in the quick look with the person you assassinated sputtering about.

Should just make a new historical series at some point, but I wouldn't ever expect that from Assasin's Creed and its weird bullshit.

This is probably the angriest I've heard Vinny sound in a long time...potentially ever. I totally get why and agree with his anger, but it's still pretty intense.

the minions thing pissed him off too. Vinny doesn't like kids being exploited by cynical businesspeople.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But then supports transformers and gundam which are all about cynical business people exploiting children to sell toys.

I really dug the future stuff in AC1 and 2, but it just broke down completely in 3, all the bits in the future were like laughably awful. I'm pretty sure I read they farmed it all out to some different studio than Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom