• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagyhag

not gonna lie, I kind of love the idea of Potato Marshall

having a playthrough of a game backfire on you out of nowhere because you're broadcasting it is such a crazy fucking thing

I never would have guessed as a kid that this would be a potential component of video games

I liked Potato Marshall in the "Brad has a rival now" way. But using the Scraping Spear so early in the game was neither fun or made for a good video when they had to farm up to repair everything.

Him showing up at the end was pretty cool though, Brad wanted to destroy him so badly.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Honestly, I never quite understood what everybody hated about ACIII so much. I remember kinda liking the game, although I was definitely feeling the upcoming AC-sickness.

Alfredo

Despite its problems, I really liked Assassin's Creed 3. I loved the setting, I loved the characters (where the hell is my Haytham game, damn it!), and free running through trees in the frontier was so much fun.

I would love for them to do a remaster of the game on current gen consoles so I can play it at a better framerate (and perhaps make it a little less broken).

I still need to go back and play the rest of the Tyranny of King Washington DLC, because I remember really loving that concept. The fact that that DLC is considered "canon" is pretty crazy, though I'm sure they cop out of it in the end.

KingKong

Honestly, I never quite understood what everybody hated about ACIII so much. I remember kinda liking the game, although I was definitely feeling the upcoming AC-sickness.

I liked the setting but it had some of the worst mission design I've seen in any game

what I don't get is the love for AC4. where did all these people who love boat combat come from

shwimpy

The site needs another full Brad playthrough of a game. Him playing and Vinny commentating is by far the best content on the site.

what I don't get is the love for AC4. where did all these people who love boat combat come from

There aren't a ton of pirate games out there, especially not modern ones. AC4 probably gave a lot of people a game they didn't even know they wanted. I didn't know I wanted a pirate game until I played AC4.

Yeah but kinda hard now that Vinny is in NY.

Their simultaneous streaming for the Rocket League stuff seemed to work pretty well. It's not ideal but Vinny and Brad could do a playthrough using the same method.

I wonder if we'll get a new Metal Gear Scanlon V episode tonight. It didn't seem like we'd get one Wednesday night, but we did, despite it not being on the schedule.

Lair was really cool guys.

Lair's soundtrack was awesome. The game.... well it was okay once the controller patch hit, but was still not all that good. Part of the problem, in my opinion, Factor 5 asked too much of the player in latter missions. I never passed Chapter 10 (might've been 11 or 12). In it, it asked you to protect refugees from an attacking army, while you defended them against dragons in the sky, while you protected them against charging beasts, while you protected them against an naval bombardment from a lake, while you were trying to bring down a dam to flood the aforementioned attacking army, all without checkpoints. If you used all three lives, the level had to be restarted. This was an issue, I noticed in hindsight, when I replayed one of their Rogue Squadron games. I was so blinded by my love of Star Wars that I didn't really notice, but in the Battle of Endor level you needed to take down enemy Tie Fighters, while bringing down a Star Destroyer, then two Star Destroyers, then (I think) you needed to take on a Super Star Destroyer. Again, there were no checkpoints and if you used all three lives, the level would need to be started over. Pretty annoying.

I don't think it was that people love boat combat a ton, it's just that an assassin's creed game was finally doing something a little new.

Edit: the breakout mode in Halo 5 looks like it's a lot of fun.

Also there's skins. maaaaaaaannnnnnn

Myggen

We don't know how many they pre-recorded. We all thought last Sunday was the last episode, but we still got one on Wednesday night. So maybe there could be one for tonight (I'm doubtful, but still hoping).

Someone in this thread said that looking at Drew's profile he had like 30 hours played, so there should be plenty saved up.

Witcher 3 really does get going after that Ugly Baby quest, it's probably the first time I've actually cared about the Main quest since the Bloody Baron stuff. It's also crazy how much more of the main quest there is at this point, I've been playing for almost another 10 hours and it feels like I've got another 10 or so until the end.

Teddified

Witcher 3 really does get going after that Ugly Baby quest, it's probably the first time I've actually cared about the Main quest since the Bloody Baron stuff. It's also crazy how much more of the main quest there is at this point, I've been playing for almost another 10 hours and it feels like I've got another 10 or so until the end.

Yeah there's tons of momentum and basically no Sidequests afterwards (Maybe one or two). It's kinda funny that's where Dan stopped, since I wonder if he just beat that quest he would feel motivated again.

Also about the Ugly Baby quest
The Trial of the Gasses or w/e was heart wrenching.

justjim89

Man, I can definitely see why a lot of folks prefer New Vegas overall (I still might, too early to say) but the highs of Fallout 3's main story are really fucking high compared to a lot of New Vegas. Been powering through the main story most of the last few days and it's been really enjoyable. Almost through it I'd imagine, but I've barely gone into side stuff yet.

Also really curious to finally see what the big deal about the ending is, since I've heard Jeff goes on a pretty great rant about it in the QL for Broken Steel.

It was pretty hilarious listening to Dan on last weeks podcast talk about how he's done with The Witcher 3 and doesn't care to play it anymore, then on the LA Podfest the next day talk about how much he wanted to finish it and how its gonna be in his top 5.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You say that, but I honestly think that the main MAIN quest of the game is the worst storyline of the game
because Ciri is a mega mary sue and it just gets more and more obvious as the game goes on
for Witcher 3

Teddified

You say that, but I honestly think that the main MAIN quest of the game is the worst storyline of the game
because Ciri is a mega mary sue and it just gets more and more obvious as the game goes on
for Witcher 3

I can see that but to me
All of Geralt's emotions and reactions to everything just make those missions for me. It's why I'll never understand people who don't like him.

danm999

Man, I can definitely see why a lot of folks prefer New Vegas overall (I still might, too early to say) but the highs of Fallout 3's main story are really fucking high compared to a lot of New Vegas. Been powering through the main story most of the last few days and it's been really enjoyable. Almost through it I'd imagine, but I've barely gone into side stuff yet.

Also really curious to finally see what the big deal about the ending is, since I've heard Jeff goes on a pretty great rant about it in the QL for Broken Steel.

If you have Broken Steel installed I don't think you'll see the thing that everybody hated.

It was pretty hilarious listening to Dan on last weeks podcast talk about how he's done with The Witcher 3 and doesn't care to play it anymore, then on the LA Podfest the next day talk about how much he wanted to finish it and how its gonna be in his top 5.

To be fair the LA Podfest was recorded like a month ago (or so) from that point but yea the timing of both being available on the site is hilarious.

I just finished the
vampire serial killer
sidequest in The Witcher 3 and holy hell is that a good quest that just comes out of nowhere.

To be fair the LA Podfest was recorded like a month ago from that point but yea the timing of them being available on the site is hilarious.

Oh I know that. Its just interesting to see how much as changed in a month. Dan going from top 5 to not caring about W3, and Jeff going from easily picking MGSV over MM to having it be much closer based on the recent events regarding both of those games.

It is a little sad that Dan fell off W3, but I guess it was just destiny.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I know that. Its just interesting to see how much as changed in a month. Dan going from top 5 to not caring about W3, and Jeff going from easily picking MGSV over MM to having it be much closer based on the recent events regarding both of those games.

It is a little sad that Dan fell off W3, but I guess it was just destiny.

I fell off Witcher 3 around the same time Dan did but picked it back up when the DLC came out and found myself drawn back in, although the initial hurdle getting back into it felt pretty steep. But once I was back I liked being in the world, but I totally agree that the combat sucks and is uninteresting and... just not good. Also jesus christ Witcher sense is an overused mechanic in that game. Lord knows why, it's terrible. I've held down LT and followed like 873 trails with that awful camera effect/FOV.

justjim89

Witcher really picks up and doesn't let go after Ugly Baby and that certain battle. The whole last act of that game is phenomenal. It takes a bit to get back in after a break, I stopped playing for like three months. But once you get back into it, it's so good. Since we'll never get that spoilercast from GB, let's talk about our ending states.

-Killed Radovid, killed Dijkstra, Emhyr won the war and let Temeria be it's own state
-Romanced Triss and Yennefer, since the game doesn't do a great job of explaining to you the consequences of doing so and it's all so spread apart. They both reject Geralt for good.
-Ciri feigns death to the world and she trains under Geralt as a Witcher until she learns all she can from him and they go their separate ways.
-Geralt lives out his days scrimping by in solitude, and no one really knows what became of him.

Fantastapotamus

Witcher really picks up and doesn't let go after Ugly Baby and that certain battle. The whole last act of that game is phenomenal. It takes a bit to get back in after a break, I stopped playing for like three months. But once you get back into it, it's so good. Since we'll never get that spoilercast from GB, let's talk about our ending states.

-Killed Radovid, killed Dijkstra, Emhyr won the war and let Temeria be it's own state
-Romanced Triss and Yennefer, since the game doesn't do a great job of explaining to you the consequences of doing so and it's all so spread apart.
-Ciri feigns death to the world and she trains under Geralt as a Witcher until she learns all she can from him and they go their separate ways.
-Geralt lives out his days scrimping by in solitude, and no one really knows what became of him.

-Same for me
-Did you really need the game to tell you that's a bad idea? :p
-Ciri becomes Empress of Nilfgaard
-Geralt lives with Yen for the rest of their now boring lifes.

danm999

-Romanced Triss and Yennefer, since the game doesn't do a great job of explaining to you the consequences of doing so and it's all so spread apart.

I got almost the exact same except
I only romanced Yennefer and ended up with her, and Ciri became Empress.

And watching Geralt in that last scene realize Ciri was leaving him for Nilfgaard, and there's a moment where she says "we will see each other again" and Geralt can either pretend and go along with the mutual lie or go "no, we won't" and accept his child is leaving this time forever.

Holy fuck what a gut stab.

Teddified

Ending Spoilers

-Killed Radovid and Dijstra, Emhyr won
-Romanced Triss and Geralt goes to live with her
-Ciri Became Empress
-Saved the Orphans so Bloody Barron Killed himself

I fell off Witcher 3 around the same time Dan did but picked it back up when the DLC came out and found myself drawn back in, although the initial hurdle getting back into it felt pretty steep. But once I was back I liked being in the world, but I totally agree that the combat sucks and is uninteresting and... just not good. Also jesus christ Witcher sense is an overused mechanic in that game. Lord knows why, it's terrible. I've held down LT and followed like 873 trails with that awful camera effect/FOV.

The importance of having a game, especially an action game, that feels good to play can't be understated. Especially when you're most likely gonna spend almost 100 hours with it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Same everything except
Ciri became Empress shortly after the events of the game after spending some time with Geralt. It was really bittersweet, Geralt being all alone at the end. Also I thought the game handled the Triss/Yen stuff really poorly. Playing it off as a jokey threesome scene (which in itself was hilarious) and then NEVER addressing that stuff again was really bad imo. I can respect them having consequences for your choices but it still kind of felt like a big "fuck you". Can Geralt not have feelings for them both, especially after having the amnesia AFTER his whole relationship with Yen?

oti

Banned
They could also play Zombi for Extra Life. Jeff liked it on the Wii U, they didn't QL it and it could be fun to watch.

Fantastapotamus

Same everything except
Ciri became Empress shortly after the events of the game after spending some time with Geralt. It was really bittersweet, Geralt being all alone at the end. Also I thought the game handled the Triss/Yen stuff really poorly. Playing it off as a jokey threesome scene (which in itself was hilarious) and then NEVER addressing that stuff again was really bad imo. I can respect them having consequences for your choices but it still kind of felt like a big "fuck you". Can Geralt not have feelings for them both, especially after having the amnesia AFTER his whole relationship with Yen?

Yes he can, that doesn't mean they have to tolerate that?

kingocfs

The absolute worst part of the last act of the Witcher is
the complete lack of payoff for romancing Triss. It's been a while since I finished it but I don't remember there being much of any indication that we made bing bong other than the very last slides that sum up the world state.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yes he can, that doesn't mean they have to tolerate that?

So that means they play a goof on him and then never talk about it again even though they're also supposed to love him? Nah, I don't buy it. The fact that there was literally nothing after that scene just doesn't sit well with me at all. To clarify, I don't think it's unreasonably they'd break things off with him after that, but to play it off as a joke and leave it at that just doesn't ring true at all.

danm999

The absolute worst part of the last act of the Witcher is
the complete lack of payoff for romancing Triss. It's been a while since I finished it but I don't remember there being much of any indication that we made bing bong other than the very last slides that sum up the world state.

I think they added more of that in a subsequent patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom