• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love AC to strip out a lot of the action and double down on the stealth.
Unity and Syndicate have real crouch buttons so it's a start. Hilariously the former got rid of whistling for some reason though.
ACIII still looks pretty nice
7EAC437E7807534F513126FEDBD82AB6908150CE

danm999

Nothing Dan could do to wrestling could ruin it anymore lol.

I was thinking of writing a letter to the Bombcast sort of asking Jeff even though he hates wrestling there's some weird pull there to him and wondering if he could put his finger on what that was.

But then I realize its something that has probably already been asked and answered on the Power Bombcast. There's this weird ineffable quality to it all that manages to resonate with Jeff, Dan, Jason Austin and Alex but not really at all with Vinny, Drew or Brad.

pizzacat

Banned
If assassins creed got stealth down some more and had better options to approaching situations, it would be great

I mean the combat is kinda bad and once theres more than 3 guys it gets impossible (at least for me trying to play unity or black flag) I get decimated, so the stealth should exceed

danm999

If assassins creed got stealth down some more and had better options to approaching situations, it would be great

I mean the combat is kinda bad and once theres more than 3 guys it gets impossible (at least for me trying to play unity or black flag) I get decimated, so the stealth should exceed

Unity is a breeze once you figure out smoke bombs are way overpowered. Just drop one of them down, pop Eagle vision and cut fools up.

Megasoum

Banned
I dunno if it's just me who's going crazy but I feel like I haven't seen anything from the GB staff on twitter this week-end?

Edit: Right... There was that CC Lemon tweet from Jeff... But still...

I was thinking of writing a letter to the Bombcast sort of asking Jeff even though he hates wrestling there's some weird pull there to him and wondering if he could put his finger on what that was.

But then I realize its something that has probably already been asked and answered on the Power Bombcast. There's this weird ineffable quality to it all that manages to resonate with Jeff, Dan, Jason Austin and Alex but not really at all with Vinny, Drew or Brad.

He likes it because Jeff loves dumb bullshit and wrestling is about as dumb bullshit as it can get. He cares more about how silly it gets and the overall story than the actual product in the ring. Not to say he doesn't care about the actual wrestling itself, as he loved Sasha vs Baylee 1 not just because of the out of ring motivation, but because of the in ring quality of wrestling as well.

danm999

He likes it because Jeff loves dumb bullshit and wrestling is about as dumb bullshit as it can get. He cares more about how silly it gets and the overall story than the actual product in the ring. Not to say he doesn't care about the actual wrestling itself, as he loved Sasha vs Baylee 1 not just because of the out of ring motivation, but because of the in ring quality of wrestling as well.

So is the bullshit not dumb enough anymore or is it that it got too serious or something?

yami4ct

Jeff's Alberto Del Rio Supercard just got a lot more valuable

Was he the guy that kicked out for getting in a fight when someone threw some racial slurs at him? My only exposure to wrestling is twitter and the PBC. Surprised he's getting a second chance if so, not that he really deserved to get kicked out in the first place.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno if it's just me who's going crazy but I feel like I haven't seen anything from the GB staff on twitter this week-end?

Edit: Right... There was that CC Lemon tweet from Jeff... But still...
They've all fallen off Twitter a little bit

justjim89

MGSV "paint the targets" stealth or the more traditional "start over" stealth?

Something like Thief 2. You have weapons and tools at your disposal, and by all means can try and fight if things go awry, but the better option should be deception and evasion. What's the point of being an assassin if you kill 30 people on your way to kill 1? 47 would be ashamed.

Ghosting an assassination mission, with no detection of your presence and no one dead but your target, should be greatly rewarded.

But it's all a pipe dream.

Was he the guy that kicked out for getting in a fight when someone threw some racial slurs at him? My only exposure to wrestling is twitter and the PBC. Surprised he's getting a second chance if so, not that he really deserved to get kicked out in the first place.

yeah, but he just came back and won the title off of cena because I guess money's cool

So is the bullshit not dumb enough anymore or is it that it got too serious or something?

The in ring product is fine, but the mic work by 95% of the roster is just terrible. Watch some recent New Day promos/matches or Sasha Banks promos/matches and compare it to the rest of the promos/matches and you'll see the huge difference in them and why Jeff only cares for New Day and Sasha Banks more than anything else. Its just not dumb/interesting. Its the kind of garbage that's boring to watch and not fun to see like the stuff Jeff loved back in the day.

Also yes, Austin's Gundam opinions are great. Really hope he does an article for readers that want to get into the franchise, but don't know where to start or what to watch.

BioShock Infinite spoiler stream was a cool idea, it was also fun to watch Vinny finish the game. To bad about the game.

There it is. Burn it down Gerstmann.

x2XZAsr.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Have you watched the endurance runs?

Yeah, I've watched em all. Great content!

They'll have a thanksgiving sale probably

Demo Derby.

Also, they had a sale last year on Black Friday which is when I first subbed. Definitely gonna save up and buy a couple years worth of subs when the sale hits.

I've also watched demo derbies!

And thanksgiving/black friday sale does seem reasonable. Thanks for the reminder.

Why don't you go for the 5$ one for the time being and then go yearly when the month ends, you're still a premium member whether at 5 or 50.

Honestly, at the point where I am in the semester I'd probably be better off without GB for a month anyway. Its so easy to just let 3 hours pass by watching something like a UPF or somethin.

justjim89

I'm in the minority I suppose. I loved Infinite all the way through, including the mindfuck ending. It's like a suspense movie, you're not supposed to think about the twist too much. It's still the only game in the Shock series I've beaten.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm in the minority I suppose. I loved Infinite all the way through, including the mindfuck ending. It's like a suspense movie, you're not supposed to think about the twist too much. It's still the only game in the Shock series I've beaten.

Infinite was great yeah. And I wholly agree. Games like that are much more enjoyable if you just sort of let the story happen to you and take the surprises as they come. You get genuine excitement from the twists as a result, instead of cynical "i knew that would happen" or "my idea was better" etc.

Myggen

Everything I've heard about the game make it sounds like it's pretty good. Jeff also seemed to be enjoying it, at least for the early parts. I'm not thinking he'll like it enough to go with a full 5/5,, so 4/5 seems like a good bet.

He also said he'd have some things to say about the technical aspects of the game on the most recent UPF. Will be interesting to see.

Jintor

i'm not precisely sure why but something really weirds me out to see Charles Darwin be a character in a video game... and it's as a guy who is like hint hint nudge nudge yo KILL THIS GUY

yami4ct

He also said he'd have some things to say about the technical aspects of the game on the most recent UPF. Will be interesting to see.

The dynamic animations and resolution is something that sounds like a pretty clever solution on paper. I wonder if perhaps those aspects get more annoying in the large battle sequences Halo likes to employ?

danm999

Also yes, Austin's Gundam opinions are great. Really hope he does an article for readers that want to get into the franchise, but don't know where to start or what to watch.

Oh man that would be amazing. I am kind of intimidated by getting into Gundam.

I liked Infinite too.

#therearedozensofus

Austin has the best taste in Gundam. His opinions are about as close to perfect as you can get.

His Twitter handle is a perfect Halloween novelty.

i'm not precisely sure why but something really weirds me out to see Charles Darwin be a character in a video game... and it's as a guy who is like hint hint nudge nudge yo KILL THIS GUY

From what I've seen it's a really shitty representation of Darwin anyway. Not that their other historical figures have been accurate either, I suppose...

Infinite was great, the finale was fantastic, love me some Songbird.

Jintor

From what I've seen it's a really shitty representation of Darwin anyway. Not that their other historical figures have been accurate either, I suppose...

i realise but for some reason it annoys me more for darwin. maybe just because i've read more about him than most other figures in sasswot's creed so far

I'd totally get AC:Syndicate if the final boss fight is you fist fighting Darwin in the lecture hall at the Royal Society

it's about bringing the series back to its roots, isn't it?

danm999

i realise but for some reason it annoys me more for darwin. maybe just because i've read more about him than most other figures in sasswot's creed so far

I think the series also usually selects people who are a fair bit more morally questionable like Marquis de Sade, Machiavelli, the pirates in 4, George Washington, etc.

Those sorts of people you might be a bit more inclined to believe had dealings with secret killing organisations than Darwin.

Then again Ezio had Da Vinci I suppose but he wasn't really pointing you towards people to kill as I remember, just building you cool shit that you could use for killing.

I got the impression that's hes really been enjoying it so I'd guess the full 5/5.

Looking at Giant Bomb's history of reviewing Halo games (Halo 3: ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach, and Halo 4), it'd be the first to get something other than a 4/5. I'm surprised they never bothered reviewing The Master Chief Collection.

Well, I played a couple of hours of H5 on legendary and it's impossible this would score anything lower than a 4. The gameplay is tons of fucking fun unless Jeff himself didn't enjoy it which doesn't seem to be the case. Also, it's the smoothest a Halo game has ever been.

I thought Bioshock Infinite's gameplay was really fun and there was a nice speed to everything although I did play with a mouse. Enjoyed the game throughout as there were always enough adventure style breaks in the combat where you'd just explore or interact with civilians. Last combat area of the game was trash though.

I should replay it one of these days, will be interesting to look at it from the perspective of someone who has finished Burial at Sea.

yami4ct

Gundam is certainly intimidating because of how old the franchise is, but there are several places to start. The franchise is divided into several different timelines. Basically you have the original Universal Century stuff and a bunch of 1 off shows that all exist in their own universe. You can start with any of those side shows and not know anything and be perfectly fine.

As for my recommendation as to where to start, it depends on how much time (and potentially cash) you want to invest getting into it. I think the ideal spot is to read the Gundam: The Origin currently being published by Vertical in the US. It's a 12 hardback volume manga remake of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. The art is amazing and it fixes a ton of the pacing issue of the original, while also giving more backstory and more characters time to shine. It's really a special thing.

If you want to stick to TV, I might actually push for Gundam SEED's HD remaster. It's not the best gundam AU show and it's filled with quite a bit of teen angst, but it's still really fun with some awesome mech designs. The sequel series is terrible, but the original is a pretty great into.

If you want the shortest place to start, I'd go with either the 08th MS Team or 0080: War in the Pocket. Both are short OVAs that take place during the original show. They focus on on the ground people and are some pretty effective pure war stories. Both are some of the best stuff Gundam has to offer, but they're a bit different from your usual affair.

I liked Infinite too.

#therearedozensofus

Infinite isn't great when you hold it up to the original Bioshock, but that's kind of an impossibly hight bar. For what it was, I really enjoyed it.

valeo

People loved Infinite at the start and slowly turned on it, it seems.

System Shock 2 > Bioshock > Bioshock Infinite > Bioshock 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom